Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Board Game thread.

Big Blue Dungeon Master

The Board Game thread.

Iím here to talk about board games. Iíve rolled dice and placed tokens, Iíve taken abuse from friends and family over actions while under the influence of a sturdy set of rules. I canít help myself, Iíve spent hundreds of ill gained currency getting any board game that I fancy and there doesnít seem to be any end in sight to my addiction.

Are there any fellow sufferers willing to speak up? Any dreaded tales of broken friendships over a competitive and enthralling game? Wish to discuss your favourite board game whether new or old? Or rant over new additions or expansions ďruiningĒ the game.

Or do you have a slight curiosity and wish to be guided to the less over whelming board games that may start your rapid descent into addiction?

Share your woes with us and count the days since youíve last given into your board game addiction. So basically I want an excuse to discuss board games, lots of board games.

Smooth Operator
    I've got an unhealthy obsession with Clue.

Risk and I go way back. In college, I had a six player game that lasted for like seven hours until we got tired, and it was the night before spring break, so we wrote down who had how many armies on which territories, put the game away, and when we came back a week later, we recreated the board and finished our game.

Big Blue Dungeon Master
    I've never played Clue(do) as an adult but it's probably somewhere in the attic, it's just one of those classic games that everyone has. I've recently been reading about a game that reminds me of some of Clue(do)'s best aspects though that certainly excites me. Though I want to fully experience before blowing my load about it in this thread. Though, A well known Board game enthusiast Robert Florence wrote about it a few days ago and it's a pretty good read if anyone is interested.

Risk is a real bastard of a game. Depending on who you play it with, the games will just keep going until someone gives up. This is good or bad depending on the group involved.

That's not a knife...
    I had a candy monopoly board game. It was a nice concept except I ate all the candy. No one survived that day but me.

Quote Originally Posted by the guy with the hat View Post
    No one survived that day but me.
    /Zaeed

I lol'd.

Adamaterasu
    Mass Effect, eeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

I am a veteran scrabble player. But I somehow still suck.

Big Blue Dungeon Master
    Scrabble?

Scrabble? Really? I've got to break you in, it's going to be tough but I assure you, eventually you'll enjoy it.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Sorry man, but afaik nobody on dtoid plays (real) board games except myself and like a couple other people that have played a game once or twice. I remember trying to get people to play board games at PAX and pretty much nobody was into that stuff =/.

My father in (not) law has a big ass collection of that stuff though, probably going over to play some tomorrow.

Also I think Through the Ages is pretty swell.

That's not a knife...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scroll View Post
    I've got to break you in, it's going to be tough but I assure you, eventually you'll enjoy it.
    I've heard this before.

Big Blue Dungeon Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    Sorry man, but afaik nobody on dtoid plays (real) board games except myself and like a couple other people that have played a game once or twice. I remember trying to get people to play board games at PAX and pretty much nobody was into that stuff =/.

My father in (not) law has a big ass collection of that stuff though, probably going over to play some tomorrow.

Also I think Through the Ages is pretty swell.
    Well my intention with this thread is to attempt a revolution of sorts. There are a lot of misconceptions involving board games and I believe their strong relation to video games leaves a pretty big gate way for people to discover board games as they truly are.

So I hope people can be open with their curiosity and other people can give them advice on where to start and how to introduce it to their group of friends. I've only really started my own collection earlier last year and I've been having a blast and if I can help other people discover how much fun it can be? I think it's really worth a try, I'll keep at it till I get given a restraining order.

And Through the Ages looks a like quite a nice spin on the classic Civilization board game which of course directly inspired Sid Meiers Civilization series which has in fact come full circle and recently released a Sid Meiers Civilization The Board Game by Fantasy Flights. I've heard great things about that as well. It might be interesting to discuss some of the best Civ genre Board games, there's apparently a lot of them out there.

I'm not trying to troll here (tempting as that may be, my beloved Sully) but Guess Who? is the best game of all time. Even if it's not strictly a board game.

Just sayin'.

That's not a knife...
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic View Post
    I'm not trying to troll here (tempting as that may be, my beloved Sully) but Guess Who? is the best game of all time. Even if it's not strictly a board game.

Just sayin'.
    Can't resist.

Big Blue Dungeon Master

Just sayin'.
    Well that's a great way to introduce kids to the very best elements of board games: Deception among friends and family. It's like nurturing the instinct to kill but better and more awesome.

Psht. I'd just nurture that killing instinct.

Psht. Mouse Trap.

I had a candy monopoly board game. It was a nice concept except I ate all the candy. No one survived that day but me.
    Psht. Would you like a butterscotch candy young man?

That's not a knife...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Psht. Would you like a butterscotch candy young man?
    Oh god yes please. I would follow Most of your commands if butterscotch was the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Psht. I'd just nurture that killing instinct.

Psht. Mouse Trap.
    I'd nurture your killing instinct.

And no way, man. Mouse Trap was a bit of a bitch. Buckaroo, on the other hand...

AND SNAKES AND LADDERS FO LYF'.

Oh god yes please. I would follow Most of your commands if butterscotch was the reward.
    "One day I will force you to fellate me." -- Joe Richards.
    Last edited by panchromatic; 03-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Big Blue Dungeon Master
    So now I want to talk about Chaos in the Old World. Think Risk plus Warhammer, but it's so much more than that. It has several end game scenarios, each player has his own specific way to end the game and like Risk, you can win by Domination. It gives each player his own flavour, his own mischievous, corrupted play style that is fun and at the same time consuming. It manages to get each player to think like the Chaos god they are playing. This is absolute genius.

It also manages to be a fairly quick game to play from 2 player games all the way up to 4 player matches. This game is the first game I bought and has set a high bar for every game I buy afterwards.

And the beardy people of Fantasy flights have some things to say about it too:

Robert Florence has some videos which are easy to find on the you tubes that express why this game is so great far better than I could express it.

If I gave you Butterscotch would you play this? Pwease.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I remember playing this one board game a long time ago, but can't remember the name of it. The premise is that you're Sherlock Holmes and you've somehow partnered up with H.G. Wells and now use his time machine to go through time and solve various unsolved crimes (i.e. who was the Zodiac Killer, who really shot JFK, who was Jack the Ripper, etc.). There was this book that came with it that had all the clues for each mystery. The board was similar to Clue, where there were various locations around the board, and when you think you've solved the case, you have to go to the middle of the board. Each location on the board was a stereotypical clue-gathering spot like what you would see in a crime drama (like a tavern or something). When you go in, you would be given a minute or so to look at that place's clue in the book and take any notes. Often times, you'd have to go out and then back in to get another few minutes with the clue, especially if you're not a very fast reader. It may just be nostalgia talking, but I seem to recall really enjoying the game.

BUT HOW DO WE PLAY BOARD GAMES OVER INTERNETS!?

"One say I will force you to felate me." -- Joe Richards.
    ...?

I'd nurture your killing instinct.
    I'd nurture... uh... you.

And no way, man. Mouse Trap was a bit of a bitch. Buckaroo, on the other hand...
    That was my first though, then I remembered Mouse Trap.

Truthfully I don't like either. Or Snakes and Ladders.

That's not a knife...
    "One day I will force you to felate me." -- Joe Richards.
    Hence "Most".

Quote Originally Posted by Scroll View Post
    If I gave you Butterscotch would you play this? Pwease.
    Maybe.