OH, forums | Destructoid | Tomopop | Japanator | Flixist | LUMP
Page 98 of 290 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 148 198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 5792

Thread: Dark Souls

  1. #1941
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla Gravy View Post
    Let me see...

    Level 40
    Vitality 17
    Attunement 13
    Endurance 17
    Strength 18
    Dexterity 18
    Resistance 18
    Intelligence 12
    Faith 12
    Best get an Ele Weapon quick, I'd go for the spear in the basement for now and then figure out if you want to go STR or Dex or just rely on an Ele weapon and boost VIT & END etc.

    Sen's really isn't bad to Solo if you take your time, buy lots of arrows and snipe in a few key spots usually helps to. Did you get the Drake Sword by chance??? Because that might be your best option at this point, grab that and get it to +2 or 3 if possible.

  2. #1942
    Vahnati's Avatar
    2,504 posts since Dec 2006
    You may want to consider re-rolling. Specializing is key in this game, jack of all trades is master of dying. Sure, it suffices in the beginning, but you'll find very quickly the further you go that you just can't pull it off. You won't dish out enough damage with any given weapon, you don't have the spells/attunement to blast through as a mage, you don't have the health to take a hit, and you don't have the endurance to wear good gear. Take a minute to think about what you want your character to be, then make steps towards that as you level.

    The bow has minimal practical applications throughout the entirety of the game, outside of that, it's a crutch, and one that gets slapped away at any given boss. Learn all of your weapon's attacks and consider when and how to use them, and if you know you don't have the right weapon for the job, get a backup or switch weapons entirely to one with more all around applications.

    Rolling > Armor. You want to wear solid, protective gear, yes, but never at the cost of mobility.

    Fuck looking at chains, just run up and SMASH those little bitches. Use a power hit on every chest you come up against, if it lays there and takes it, it's a chest, if it bleeds and grows arms, it's a mimic. Just don't let 'em grab you, that's insta-dead.

  3. #1943
    falsenipple's Avatar
    111 posts since Feb 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by N7 View Post
    Best get an Ele Weapon quick, I'd go for the spear in the basement for now and then figure out if you want to go STR or Dex or just rely on an Ele weapon and boost VIT & END etc.

    Sen's really isn't bad to Solo if you take your time, buy lots of arrows and snipe in a few key spots usually helps to. Did you get the Drake Sword by chance??? Because that might be your best option at this point, grab that and get it to +2 or 3 if possible.
    The Drake Sword is a waste of resources. If he wants something that hits hard without having to make a lot of progress he could use a Black Knight weapon with minimal upgrades and pretty much the same stat base that he currently has. They also will hold value later on in the game, whereas the Drake Sword is going to be absolutely useless as soon as he gets out of Senn's Fortress.

    At 10k Souls per upgrade and increasingly more Dragon Scales, I can't in good conscience recommend the Drake Sword to anyone, let alone someone that is stuck and could use the 20-30K souls for other upgrades. That weapon is a trap.

  4. #1944
    Vahnati's Avatar
    2,504 posts since Dec 2006
    The Drake Sword's a godsend when you first get it, as there's absolutely no way any other weapon you could possibly be using (aside from the demon great hammer but, well, I'm thinking realistically here for this particular player >.>) would be more powerful. Just don't upgrade it. That's where the waste comes from. The sword as is will tear through everything in your path until you can get to a point where you have a much wider variety of weapons to choose from and viable upgrade options.

  5. #1945
    Gorilla Gravy's Avatar
    3,059 posts since Sep 2012

    My friend gave me a +5 Quelaag's Furysword and is going to give me a +10 Divine Gargoyle Halberd. Every time we play he just gives me stuff and I don't complain.

    Since my last post I beat Sen's Fortress, got through the Catacombs and beat Pinwheel, went down and saved that Rhea chick from the Tomb of Giants, joined Nito's covenant, and am currently making my way through the Painted World of Ariamis. My friend also helped me take out that Hydra in Darkwood Basin.

    Stopped leveling up resistance and will probably stop leveling up intelligence and attunement as well. Just focusing on dexterity, endurance, and vitality.

    I think I'm doing alright.

  6. #1946
    Arttemis's Avatar
    2,090 posts since Jan 2008

    I really need to make some unique weapons instead of hoarding slabs.

  7. #1947
    falsenipple's Avatar
    111 posts since Feb 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Vahnati View Post
    The Drake Sword's a godsend when you first get it, as there's absolutely no way any other weapon you could possibly be using (aside from the demon great hammer but, well, I'm thinking realistically here for this particular player >.>) would be more powerful. Just don't upgrade it. That's where the waste comes from. The sword as is will tear through everything in your path until you can get to a point where you have a much wider variety of weapons to choose from and viable upgrade options.
    The Black Knight Sword from literally the first Black Knight that you fight is just as strong. I am not even joking. You get it before the Taurus Demon, which coincidentally is earlier than you'd be able to obtain the Drake Sword, and unlike the Drake Sword it will scale with your stats and is much, much easier and cheaper to upgrade.

    Don't use the fucking Drake Sword.
    Last edited by falsenipple; 12-13-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: seriously...

  8. #1948
    TheRemedy's Avatar
    1,556 posts since Feb 2008

    The black knight sword isn't 100% drop while the drake sword is a guaranteed weapon.

  9. #1949
    falsenipple's Avatar
    111 posts since Feb 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRemedy View Post
    The black knight sword isn't 100% drop while the drake sword is a guaranteed weapon.
    It's a high enough percentage that you can hedge your bets on it. You can also use the Zweihander from the Graveyard if that doesn't come through.

  10. #1950
    TheRemedy's Avatar
    1,556 posts since Feb 2008

    It's not though, I got it once out of my first five restarts. And everything you are recommending has much higher stat requirements then the drake sword. Drake Sword is a good noobie weapon.

  11. #1951
    falsenipple's Avatar
    111 posts since Feb 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRemedy View Post
    It's not though, I got it once out of my first five restarts. And everything you are recommending has much higher stat requirements then the drake sword. Drake Sword is a good noobie weapon.
    People should level up instead of using the Drake Sword. It's not a good weapon and by the time you get to where it isn't a good weapon you will have misspent so many skill points or just not leveled at all that the game will be even worse. All of the areas where the Drake Sword shines are absolutely doable with ANY other weapon, whereas when it becomes a drag to use the Drake Sword this get pretty fucking awful. It's a security blanket.

  12. #1952
    umberhulk's Avatar
    1,447 posts since May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by falsenipple View Post
    People should level up instead of using the Drake Sword. It's not a good weapon and by the time you get to where it isn't a good weapon you will have misspent so many skill points or just not leveled at all that the game will be even worse. All of the areas where the Drake Sword shines are absolutely doable with ANY other weapon, whereas when it becomes a drag to use the Drake Sword this get pretty fucking awful. It's a security blanket.
    Yeah, you should level up vitality and endurance (and other stuff)...while using the drake sword. Drop it for the lightning spear when you get it.

    My first build was fucking stupid, because I was using both my halberd and the drake sword. But with 24 str (at lvl fucking 41) the drake sword was still better (than halb +4) I should have just went Drake Sword. You can spend those souls, pre-patch, much more efficiently on pyromancy or livability.

  13. #1953
    Arttemis's Avatar
    2,090 posts since Jan 2008

    I beat the game with only three hints/tips. Two were good farming locations and the last tip was how to get the drake sword. I used it until Sen's Fortress when things started getting harder and harder to kill. As soon as I got the Lightning Spear, I made the change because it was clearly a better weapon.

  14. #1954
    Never used the Drake Sword.

  15. #1955
    Vahnati's Avatar
    2,504 posts since Dec 2006
    Yeah, I forgot one of the patches made black knight weapons ACTUALLY obtainable outside of farming at the kiln or being stupidly lucky. Yes, I would easily take the black knight sword over the drake sword, I'm not arguing for the drake sword being a good long term weapon at all. All I know is that it got me where I needed to get going. Once I got to Blighttown and grabbed the Iaitio it was so long drake sword, hello quick slash.

    I used the lightning spear for all of 4 attacks before deciding it was clearly not the weapon for me. I've just never been a fan of spear weapons, but I guess that's because I'm not a fan of hiding behind a shield AND being allowed to attack. In other words, I'm not a pussy.

  16. #1956
    Flamoctapus's Avatar
    1,958 posts since Sep 2011

    Okay I just got a message saying "disasters will end when the gravelord's servant is defeated" (or something along those lines)

    I am now paranoid as shit. Anyone know what that meant?

  17. #1957
    It means you're cursed. You need to find a summon sign that will take you to the Gravelord Servant's world. Kill him and you're free. Or log out, I guess.


    That's a Covenant, BTW. It makes more/stronger enemies appear.

  18. #1958
    Flamoctapus's Avatar
    1,958 posts since Sep 2011

    Where do I find a sign, and do I have a chance in hell of beating this guy?

  19. #1959
    You have to look for it. They usually hide it well, and maybe you do, who knows?



    Wait, I do. You probably don't. PVP is really cheap unless it's a red sign challenge. Just log out then in again, or man up and finish the area. You can't be cursed after you beat the area's boss.

  20. #1960
    Flamoctapus's Avatar
    1,958 posts since Sep 2011

    Ok I'm just going to power through it. It doesn't seem any harder as it is. I'm just running back and forth from firelink to Capra demon anyways. Hate that goat so damn much.

    Edit: Fuck Yeah! Beat him and his machete dropped. Was I supposed to get a message about the curse lifting?
    Last edited by Flamoctapus; 12-15-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: WINNING

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Unsavory people bugging you?

If you encounter hate speech, harassment, personal attacks, bullying, homophobia, and general doucheyness -- even if it wasn't directed at you -- please let us know. All emails are kept confidential. Let's make sure everyone's treated with respect so the friends you make here will keep coming back! about mods/rules

Change forum colors & width:
Try a new theme: