8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mixed Tiering (2/2/2)

6 75.00%
  • Straight Tiering

0 0%
  • No Tier Limits (outside of Ubers)

2 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon 4th Gen (D/P/P/HG/SS) Tournament to kick off the 5th gen?

Gobun's Poser
    University Park, Pennsylvania, United States

Pokemon 4th Gen (D/P/P/HG/SS) Tournament to kick off the 5th gen?

So with Pokemon Black and White going worldwide in less than two months, and even though the 5th Generation's already got a developing competitive battling scene going, I thought a tournament would be a great way to send off the 4th gen in a blaze of heated battling glory.

If anyone wants to compete or has ideas on how I should structure it (Tiers? Common Sense? Custom Ban List?) please feel free to voice yourselves and let me know.

We'll work on the date once I gauge the interest level, it'll be ending sometime (hopefully) before Black and White launch. I'll provide some prize pokemon and anyone else is welcome to offer some if they really want to as well. (Will work out specifics later of course.)

(PS. This is my first tournament i'm organizing so go easy if I'm messing something up here, Savvy?)

RULES:

Teams of 6 Pokemon, No pokemon that fit into the "Uber" tier of the widely accepted Smogon lists. Smogon Uber Tier This helps keep out overpowered pokemon from just demolishing teams.

You're allowed 1 any pokemon, even if they're in the same family (So you can rock a Geodude, Graveler, and Golem in a team, if you wish). And 1 of any items. So you'll have to make due without Leftovers on every pokemon (for fairness)

No Hacked Pokemon. Seriously, If you have a blatant hacked pokemon, then that's a disqualification.

Nothing wrong with EV training your pokemon. (Skill is what wins battles you know)

I'm not going to dictate tiering too heavy, but i mixed tiering seems to be the way to go. i personally would prefer to do open to whatever (aside from the ubers that is) SO I'm Setting up a poll and YOU decide the tiering if any.

So Yeah! I want to kick the tourney off sometime by the end of the month, so you'll get plenty of time to train up a team.

Post questions and signups for it so we can get organizing!

PRIZES:

Winner: 1 Lucky Egg, and their choice of a rare, event pokemon to be decided upon still

2nd/3rd: Their choice between 2 other legendary pokemon, with 2nd place getting first pick.
    Last edited by Antwhan; 01-08-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added Rules

[Level 5: Mech]
    Sign me up!
    I have platinum and I'm DTF.
    Er, DTB.

Like mollygos said, I've never competitivly battled so I, too, will have some beefing up to do. The only thing I would like to know is if there is going to be any limits of any kind.
    Last edited by Moses Early; 01-05-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: 6 geodudes.

Shipping Master
    I'll join. I myself am a fan of mixed tier (2 OU 2 UU 2 NU).

Gobun's Poser
    To Answer the questions, I personally don't want to restrict too much so in the name of fun.

I think the Mixed Tiering would be a solid idea so that way we give people a legitimate chance to use their favorites and some lesser seen guys as well. (We can decide on how to best break it up after we get some more people on board)

Some main restrictions (Feel free to toss ideas around about these too Will add to the first post as we finalize them)

*No Legendary Pokemon - i have no problems with legendary pokemon but they aren't exactly fair to others not in the same class (kind of the original idea of the tier list)
    - This doesn't Exclude Arcanine since he isn't a "legendary" even if he is the "Legendary" pokemon.

*No Doubles so no a 6 Geodude team using explosion is out of the question.

*No blatant hacks. This is tricky, since we really can't enforce the blocking of hacked pokemon, If you do use a clearly hacked pokemon, (ie:Charmander with Water Gun) that's a disqualification.

I don't have a problem with multiple items, but since I don't competitively battle much myself I don't see why anyone else can't use multiples as well. (Unless there's people who want them limited)

-----

Oh and Prizes, I haven't decided which event's I'm going to part with but I will say that the winner will get a Lucky Egg with their rare pokemon. (That gives you double the experience in battle!)

Shipping Master
    I think Pokemon like Zapdos/Suicune/Registeel etc. should be allowed, the only ones we should have to really worry about banning are the ones on Smogon's uber list.

Gobun's Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Tray Ben View Post
    I think Pokemon like Zapdos/Suicune/Registeel etc. should be allowed, the only ones we should have to really worry about banning are the ones on Smogon's uber list.
    If people will agree on using the smogon lists then a ban on their uber tier is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwhan View Post
    *No Doubles so no a 6 Geodude team using explosion is out of the question.

Gobun's Poser
    Honestly I would be impressed if you somehow won with six exploding geodudes, given it does cost you all your pokemon more likely than your opponents. Nothing against using others in the same family line though, so if you really want to explode to death you sure as heck can.

Shipping Master
    It'd be impossible to win unless the opponent had 6 exploding Gastlies.

You guys need to stop hating.

Gobun's Poser
    Alright I thought about it and think this will be the final rule set: (going to add this to the first post if people agree on it)

Team Wise:

Teams of 6 Pokemon, No pokemon that fit into the "Uber" tier of the widely accepted Smogon lists. Smogon Uber Tier This helps keep out overpowered pokemon from just demolishing teams.

You're allowed 1 any pokemon, even if they're in the same family (So you can rock a Geodude, Graveler, and Golem in a team, if you wish). And 1 of any items. So you'll have to make due without Leftovers on every pokemon (for fairness)

No Hacked Pokemon. Seriously, If you have a blatant hacked pokemon, then that's a disqualification.

Nothing wrong with EV training your pokemon. (Skill is what wins battles you know)

I'm not going to dictate tiering too heavy, but i mixed tiering seems to be the way to go. i personally would prefer to do open to whatever (aside from the ubers that is) SO I'm Setting up a poll and YOU decide the tiering if any.

So Yeah! I want to kick the tourney off sometime by the end of the month, so you'll get plenty of time to train up a team.

Post questions and signups for it so we can get organizing!

Excellent, sign me up.

Scott - 5113 2189 4315

Shipping Master
    Item clause?! Whatever, sign me up. Don't have my FC atm.

I'm always down for multiplayer Pokeymengs. Wifi battles average out levels right? Been awhile since I've played over the internets.

Gobun's Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Tray Ben View Post
    Item clause?! Whatever, sign me up. Don't have my FC atm.
    I figure an Item clause would be fair, since most people don't have access to double items anyway, If people don't like it... we'll discuss that but I think it's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocBox View Post
    I'm always down for multiplayer Pokeymengs. Wifi battles average out levels right? Been awhile since I've played over the internets.
    There's a way to have them level out, I'm not sure if we want to do 50 or 100 just yet, but that's a minor thing for the time being. 50s seem more intense (from experience) but 100 might be a better equalizer.

I know if you're over 50 it levels you down to 50, but if you're under 100 it levels you up, right?

I really have never entered a Pokemon tournament before, but I will give it a blind chance. I appreciate this won't be a Shiny Giratina orgy.

Also, when is this going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Early View Post
    I know if you're over 50 it levels you down to 50, but if you're under 100 it levels you up, right?
    Not that I am aware of. As far as I know, if you are under either regulated level, it stays like that.

E.G.:
    Level 75 Blastoise

On Level 50 Limit = Level 50
    On Level 100 Limit = Level 75

Gobun's Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Monodi View Post
    Also, when is this going to be?
    A GREAT Question! Well I'm waiting till we have enough people signed up before we get started, I'm aiming to hopefully start it by the end of the january, and we should finish before Black and White come out in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Monodi View Post
    Not that I am aware of. As far as I know, if you are under either regulated level, it stays like that.

E.G.:
    Level 75 Blastoise

On Level 50 Limit = Level 50
    On Level 100 Limit = Level 75
    If that is the case, then would everyone be fine with a Level 50 cap? Since forcing everyone to grind to 100 is not my thing (even I don't have level hundos myself yet)

AND in a turn of less than fortunate news, I just found out that held items can't be transferred through the pokeshifter so 4th gen items can't go to Black/White. I'm kind of angry about that, but it does mess with the prize plans. You'll still get the Lucky Egg, I'm just sorry it can't be sent over the black and white. Oh well, you'll still get your pokemon when you jump generations.

Shipping Master
    On Level 100 Limit it levels everything up to 100 as if you used Rare Candies. I used a Level 20 Skarmory on my competitive team but it was fully EV'd. I'd support the Lv 100 cap.