Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

[Level 2: Human] Quantum Zombie's Avatar

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Yes, it's a schizophrenic mess of complex game mechanics and low-tech graphics, but Dwarf Fortress is still fun. With the recent release of DF2010, I think now is a better time than ever for a Destructoid Bloodline Game.

What is Dwarf Fortress?
    Dwarf Fortress is a roguelike. Dwarf Fortress is a bit like The Sims but with violent, drunken midgets who live in caves. Dwarf Fortress is basically one big sandbox, where you can do whatever you want within the rules of the game. Except the sand is trying to kill you. Dwarf Fortress is a game where the official motto is "Losing is Fun." Dwarf Fortress is fun.

Where Can I Download It?
    Right here! It is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, so you should have no problem installing and playing it no matter what OS you have.

What is a Succession Game?
    A Succession Game is a scenario where people in a group take turns playing the same save file. These turns typically last one year. In this case, each player gets one turn and one turn only before passing their save file on to the next person. If we run out of people, then I will ask players who have already had a turn to come back and play again.

I Don't Want to Play, Can I Still Post In This Thread?
    Absolutely! As long as you're discussing Dwarf Fortress or the latest shenanigans from the game and not your long list of sexual conquests, you're welcome to contribute.

What if I've Never Played Dwarf Fortress Before?
    That's fine! Despite the roguelike graphics and huge number of menus, the basics of Dwarf Fortress are actually very simple and you should be able to learn them fairly quickly. Dwarf Fortress has a very comprehensive wiki that should tell you everything you need to know.

I'm Interested! What Do I Have To Do?
    PM me or post in the thread and I'll put you on the roster! Then, when your turn comes around, all you have to do is play the game and post a log in the thread describing what happened during your turn. It is probably best to divide your log into smaller sections, such as by season, and then post them as you work your way through the turn, instead of all at once. Other than that, you can write it however you like! You might prefer to write it like a diary from your dwarf's point of view, or simply narrate what's happening. It's your choice. Screenshots are preferred, but not required.

Wait, What Do You Mean, "Your Dwarf"?
    Although dwarves are named randomly, players have the ability to assign them nicknames which are displayed in place of their first name. Therefore, each dwarf will be named after a member of the Destructoid community! To get a dwarf named after you, simply PM me or post in the thread and I will add you to the list. Please note that it can sometimes take quite a while for more migrants to show up, so it might be a while before you get your own dwarf.

However, there are a couple of rules: 1) you cannot have more than one dwarf named after you at one time. If your dwarf dies, you may apply to be dwarfed again, but you will not be given priority over anyone on the list. 2) you cannot choose which dwarf will be named after you. That decision is up to the player at the time.

So I Can Do Anything I Want During My Turn?
    Within reason, yes. You may not deliberately end the game, for example by using a doomsday weapon to flood the fortress with magma. If you accidentally happen to do something incredibly stupid, I would encourage you to start over from the previous save file. You also may not deliberately kill dwarves. Nobles are fair game, though.

Players:
    Quantum Zombie
    Mxyzptlk
    Keegah
    ClownBaby

Dwarves:
    Shinobi13
    Quantum Zombie
    Dexter345
    Jay Hitcher
    Mxyzptlk
    ClownBaby
    Keegah
    Aerox

Before we start this thing (if it even gets off the ground), I need to know some specifics about where we want to put our fortress. The easiest option would pick a heavily forested location with lots of hills and running water, and plenty of mineral layers with no aquifer. But this isn't fun enough.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Freezing or Very Cold region, or maybe a Horrifying or Haunted one, so we get to deal with skeletal eagles. Hot or Scorching regions might be fun too, since we'd have to construct a cistern so our water doesn't try up all the time.

Or maybe you guys just want to build our fortress inside a volcano. Just let me know so I can get this thing started.

[Level 6: Robot]
    This is actually a great idea as I've seen this done on other forums. There is nothing better than DF for creating and then recreating some crazyshit scenarios.

Don't count me in yet because I haven't actually played the game. Everybody reading this should get in on this action. It's almost guaranteed that thousands of Dwarfs are going to die in the making of this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineKnight View Post
    Everybody reading this should get in on this action. It's almost guaranteed that thousands of Dwarfs are going to die in the making of this.
    It really depends on how batshit insane our map is. I'd highly recommend that anyone who is on the fence about this read Boatmurdered, Headshoots and Syrupleaf to see what can happen when you deliberately start in a freezing/evil biome. Note that elephants are no longer godless killing machines bent on the destruction of all sentient life; that was patched a long time ago. I could always mod the game files to make them horrifying abominations, though. Acid breath, anyone?

Of course, we could always start in a more peaceful location and spend all our time building mega-constructions. I leave it up to you guys.

Wolf Master
    This is interesting. I don't think I'll play, but I will definitely watch this thread to read the story of what happens. Also, I wouldn't mind having a dwarf named after me, but if he dies, then the name stays dead.

Naoto #1 Fan
    I tried playing Dwarf Fortress a while ago and couldn't really get into it. It was just too dense for me. Love the concepts and stories I've heard of it though.

Count me in as a dwarf.

Admin / Midget King
    I am intrigued by this, always wanted to sit down with the game. Count me in.

Well we've got two players and five dwarves thus far. Hopefully we'll be able to start sometime this coming week. I still have to decide on a starting location, so let me know what you guys would find fun/interesting/funny. I'm thinking we should try to build a fortress inside or above a volcano. Regular mountains aren't dwarfy enough.
    Things are picking up, huzzah!

Bringer of Truth
    Feel free to make me a Dwarf. I'm gonna download this now and mess around with it, but don't count me in as a player just yet. Perhaps though.

This sounds interesting. Gonna go read some of those things you guys posted too.

So, when I try to download the Mac version, it has an .exe file in it, which don't work on a mac. Anyone know what's up with that?

Been reading, apparently you have to download something called WINE, which also requires downloading like 20 other things. It looks like a huge pain in the ass, which I don't feel like dealing with right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownBaby View Post
    So, when I try to download the Mac version, it has an .exe file in it, which don't work on a mac. Anyone know what's up with that?

Been reading, apparently you have to download something called WINE, which also requires downloading like 20 other things. It looks like a huge pain in the ass, which I don't feel like dealing with right now.
    Don't worry about WINE. When you download the Mac version, you also get a Unix executable. It should be named "df". Run that in the terminal (double-clicking it should suffice), and you shouldn't have any problems.

Even though there's an .exe in the package, it's not actually a Windows program. Basically, even though it's formatted as .exe, the file itself is made specifically for the Mac platform. Toady is supposedly working on a .app version of the file, but he's busy with bug fixes right now.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I've never played, but what the heck, count me in. I installed it awhile ago.

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Zombie View Post
    Don't worry about WINE. When you download the Mac version, you also get a Unix executable. It should be named "df". Run that in the terminal (double-clicking it should suffice), and you shouldn't have any problems.

Even though there's an .exe in the package, it's not actually a Windows program. Basically, even though it's formatted as .exe, the file itself is made specifically for the Mac platform. Toady is supposedly working on a .app version of the file, but he's busy with bug fixes right now.
    Cool, thanks. I'm actually on a PC right now (it's the downstairs one, I'm rarely on it) but I'll try that when I go back to my room.

It looks really interesting, and I think I'll definitely be down as a player; I just want to PLAY it first and get a feel for it before I commit lol

I read the BoatMurdered entry (most of it), it really sounds fun. Also, even though I haven't played yet, I vote inside a Volcano.

That's just badass.

Naoto #1 Fan
    From what I've heard, the magma could be pretty useful.

I vote volcano.

Volcano it is, then. I'll start messing with worldgen tonight and see if I can't get a starting location that will be interesting/fun. I'll try not to make things too sadistic, considering that this will be the first time playing DF for most of you, but rest assured that I intend to make this pretty challenging. It's unlikely we'll have many trees, and we probably won't have any running water either. Plus, goblins and kobolds love mountains, so we'll probably get sieged plenty.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I'll play. I have no idea how to, but I'll play.

Bringer of Truth
    Got it running, found a tutorial I'm running through in a bit to help me get the basics of it.

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brlghtslde View Post
    I'll play. I have no idea how to, but I'll play.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownBaby View Post
    Got it running, found a tutorial I'm running through in a bit to help me get the basics of it.
    A tutorial I found very useful was this one: The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress.

Note: "Getting the basics" is about 2 weeks of playing the game. After that, you should be able to deal with a catsplosion in fun and gory ways.

The DF Wiki is also a very, very useful resource. Especially if you don't have a geology textbook on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by SchildConstruct View Post
    A tutorial I found very useful was this one: The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress.

Note: "Getting the basics" is about 2 weeks of playing the game. After that, you should be able to deal with a catsplosion in fun and gory ways.

The DF Wiki is also a very, very useful resource. Especially if you don't have a geology textbook on hand.
    Thanks for the help. The tutorial on the wiki doesn't seem to be much help at all. :/

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brlghtslde View Post
    Thanks for the help. The tutorial on the wiki doesn't seem to be much help at all. :/
    Difficult, given that each map is generated from scratch. :/

Which is why I like the tutorial I linked to: It contains a version of DF that is somewhat pleasing to the eye, while giving a common starting point, so that the tutorial makes at lest some sense. And keep in mind: DF's motto is "Losing is Fun".

You can take me off the list (if I was ever on). I can't seem to get into/understand the game. I'll keep trying, and if I get anywhere I'll sign up again.