Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bit Transmission Sprite Pack #1 + CONTEST

wears retrose tinted glasses.

Bit Transmission Sprite Pack #1 + CONTEST

While Bit Transmission was always conceived as an audio-only show, we knew from the very beginning that we wanted a distinct visual style to accompany episode posts and easily identify who we are and what we're about. And with Jonathan Holmes as a resource, it was decided very quickly that he would define that style with his fantastic sprite art. The show's format and focus shifted several times over the course of half a dozen pilot episode attempts but the decision on the art never wavered and with good reason.

Now, as we approach our tenth episode, we're happy to release Bit Transmission Sprite Pack #1. It's a collection of the character sprites used for the main cast and some of the guests over the course of the first ten shows. We thought it might be a fun thing to drop these every ten episodes and encourage our listeners to produce art using the assets.

And what better way to encourage creativity than with a reward? We're kicking this first set off with a contest.

The rules are simple: Create an original image using the sprite pack that features all three of the main cast members. You're welcome to modify the sprites in any way you like, place them in any sort of environment you want to, whatever you like, and post your results in this thread. The only rules are that all three cast members (Colette, Conrad and Holmes) must be present.

What do you get for all of this hard work? That will be a surprise. The three best images (as decided by the cast) will each receive a mystery prize pack. Due to the uncertainty as to how much it will cost to ship prizes internationally, this contest is open to our fans in North America only (sorry! we'll take care of the rest of you soon, I promise!). Winners will be announced in Bit Transmission episode 11.

So grab the Sprite Pack and get crackin'! All entries must be submitted by 11:59 PM Pacific Daylight Savings Time on July 2, 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Conrad Zimmerman; 06-21-2010 at 08:09 AM.

[Level 2: Human]

I've just finished FF6, so this is where my head's at at the moment...

[Level 5: Mech]
    Can we make a video? I have a neat idea, and I want to this opportunity to test out some new video editing tricks I've learned.

I suppose you could, but you're only allowed to enter once, so all the other frames you use don't count as extra entries.

Any chance someone could enlarge those? If I did it they'd end up looking like a blurry mess.
    This makes me so much better than Gyrael.

PROTIP for working with sprites in Photoshop: Always scale up in whole integers. 2x, 3x, whatever. And have Photoshop resample the image as Nearest Neighbor. Doing this retains the pixels in all their square glory and doesn't cause blurring.

AAAaaaaannndddd Thank you for that. I only have paint.net, but I'm sure the application of said PROTIP is similar.

[Level 2: Human]
    Eh, since I still have Photoshop up...

^Chad is still as amazing in 8-bit form, if not more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Eh, since I still have Photoshop up...

^Chad is still as amazing in 8-bit form, if not more so.
    Thanks!

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Only NA? Bah! I'm still saving those sprites anyway because they're bloody awesome.

Oh, indeed. Please don't be bashful about playing with the sprites. That's why they're there!

I just can't commit to worldwide shipping this time, especially since I have yet to determine all of what mystery awesomeness will go to the winners. Sorry!

[Level 6: Robot]

I have notes:

Note 1) I wanted to get that pretty color Colette's hair is now as seen on this Tomopop video, but I couldn't quite get it in paint. My rule was not to build sandcastles with a bulldozer, so as not to use up more than fifteen minutes on this project. I scrapped that idea, but I'm still bothered that I didn't do it right.

2) I was going to give Tron Knotts the Sagat scar, but decided against it for the same reason. I wanted to keep it simple, and the more I tried, the less I liked the color.

Note C) I was going to put Mr. Destructoid watching as well, but that would have taken about ten more minutes. And this joke was already funny enough. There was thought to put the helmet over Conrad and Tron's private parts, but naked really not-nude sprites are hilarious to me. I literally just re-colored their pants, and filled in a little more shading on Holmes.

[Level 5: Mech]
    For some reason, my first idea for this contest was to make a video, and that is what I did:

A few notes:

- This is the first time I've ever done any form of computer animation. Things might be a bit wonky (I used only two different frames for each animation). It must be noted that all the animation was actually made by myself.
    - I modified some of the original sprites to do the mouth movements, and Topher's "Wily eyebrow". I grabbed the BIT Transmission logo and Geraldo Beedog from the header images from earlier episodes.
    - Getting the typewriter-style text to work in Sony Vegas (which I used to make the video) was surprisingly difficult, especially to get the text lined up with the speech bubbles. I had to use several workarounds to get things looking somewhat decent. At least I learned a bunch of new video editing tricks because of this!
    - After finishing it, I realized I should have done more to match the cast sprites with the vehicles (which have different levels of sharpness). But I figured that if I kept on tweaking things, it would never have gotten finished.
    - As is noted in the video, I am aware that I mixed 8-bit and 16-bit sprites. However, with that sprite of Holmes wearing the construction hat, the first and only thing I could think of was Mega Man 7.
    - My apologies to Topher and Electric Hydra for making them the "villains" of the video. I tried to have him flying a 8/16-bit version of the Ikaruga, but that was beyond my artistic skills. Also, apologies to Dale for not including him.

Oh, and I guess I'll put up a screenshot to count as my "image" entry:

My God. It's full of stars...

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guncannon View Post
    For some reason, my first idea for this contest was to make a video, and that is what I did:

A few notes:

- This is the first time I've ever done any form of computer animation. Things might be a bit wonky (I used only two different frames for each animation). It must be noted that all the animation was actually made by myself.
    - I modified some of the original sprites to do the mouth movements, and Topher's "Wily eyebrow". I grabbed the BIT Transmission logo and Geraldo Beedog from the header images from earlier episodes.
    - Getting the typewriter-style text to work in Sony Vegas (which I used to make the video) was surprisingly difficult, especially to get the text lined up with the speech bubbles. I had to use several workarounds to get things looking somewhat decent. At least I learned a bunch of new video editing tricks because of this!
    - After finishing it, I realized I should have done more to match the cast sprites with the vehicles (which have different levels of sharpness). But I figured that if I kept on tweaking things, it would never have gotten finished.
    - As is noted in the video, I am aware that I mixed 8-bit and 16-bit sprites. However, with that sprite of Holmes wearing the construction hat, the first and only thing I could think of was Mega Man 7.
    - My apologies to Topher and Electric Hydra for making them the "villains" of the video. I tried to have him flying a 8/16-bit version of the Ikaruga, but that was beyond my artistic skills. Also, apologies to Dale for not including him.

Oh, and I guess I'll put up a screenshot to count as my "image" entry:

THIS

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Megaman 7 was probably the first Megaman game I ever played. Even though I don't really like it, to see homage paid to it in such a way has made my life one more step towards complete.

Also gonna get crackin on somethng.

made this happen
    Fucking brilliant, Guncannon. XD Awesome shit.

Currently working on something. It's a slow process. >__>;

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedge16 View Post

Sorry about posting the wrong link. This is the first time I've ever had to use photobucket, and it won't happen again.

My entry is definitely minimalist, but I don't think putting more effort into it will yield a proportionate reward.

Lord Doucheface
    I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to enter contests anymore, so this isn't an official entry. Still, I thought it would be fun to come up with something nifty.

I've been on this huge Fullmetal Alchemist kick lately and thought it would serve as the perfect theme. How to work that into a piece, though? I noticed that there are sprites for seven Bit Transmission hosts and guests. Coincidentally, there are seven Homunculi in the world of FMA:

And so I present to you... Bit Transmutation!

STARRING

Colette Bennett as Lust

The sexy and alluring Colette makes the perfect Lust! Feisty and deadly! To complete the look, I grew out her hair a bit. Now she's even hotter.

Chad Concelmo as Envy

Chad is definitely not the sadistic, jealous type. However, he and Envy share a common flair for flamboyancy. After Chad's transformation, I was shocked by how much he looks like Sailor Moon. I was worried that I made him too feminine-looking, but it kinda fits Envy's androgyny.

Topher Cantler as Sloth

Topher has always come across to me as the quiet, soft-spoken guy who enjoys taking it easy. I knew he had to be Sloth, but there was one tiny problem -- Sloth is a hulking behemoth while Topher is a stick. Taking some creative liberties, I constructed a new body entirely from scratch, retaining only the head. Now he looks more like Brad Nicholson, but I doubt he'd complain about the extra bulk.

Jonathan Holmes as Gluttony

Speaking of bulk, I'm sorry, Jon! You have the roundest gut among the cast! Don't hurt me! I also hope you don't mind that I shaved off what little hair you had left. Playing a role is a commitment!

Ashley Davis as Pride

The cute and adorable Ashley Davis is my pick for the cute and adorable Selim Bradley. Watch out, though! Like Selim, Ashley conceals a reservoir of unfathomable evil!

Conrad Zimmerman as Wrath

Conrad is the Bit Transmission ringleader and the only cast member with a full mustache. Who better than him to lead as the Führer? His outfit was the most fun to design. And he dual wields!

Dale North as Greed

By process of elimination, Dale is Greed. Honestly, I don't think the role fits... or maybe it does. Maybe Dale is a huge pimp who wants all the money and ladies in the world. Maybe he's biding his time for a full website takeover. Who knows?

...and featuring Mr. Destructoid as Father

I had to include Mr. Destructoid in the festivities! He is the big man in command. He is Father, and he will fuck you up.