Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Oh, yeah, I completely ignore the fact that this has any relation to MGS, like I said. It's just too over-the-top. MGS4 was already taking it a bit too far, but this is ridiculous. I'll see if I can get this simply because it's a Platinum game and I <3 Platinum. And it looks dope.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    But all of the Metal Gear games are pretty over the top.

The Shagohod was over the top. Raiden getting in a swordfight with a robot the size of a building is something else entirely.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    He got into a fight with a boat the size of a small town in MGS4.

The fact that MGS is so ridiculous is probably half the reason why Rising works. Of all the franchises that are taken seriously on the level that MGS is taken seriously, how many could Platinum seriously work with?

Yeah, MGS 4 was taking it too far. He break dances with robots tied to his legs. Nanomachines and shit.

But this is different. Just look at this shit. Don't get me wrong, I have no ill feelings towards it. It's just not Metal Gear for me.

Metal Gear Solid 1 has a psychic slain-by-controller boss and a Hind shooting down fighter jets (!).

Metal Gear Solid 2 has possession via a severed arm and has pre-cyborg Raiden fighting 30 Rays with a magic unlimited ammo rocket launcher.

Metal Gear Solid 3 has a boss you can kill by changing the clock on your PS2

Metal Gear Solid 4 has Raiden stopping a super carrier holding Mount Snakemore on it with one arm.

And this all happens in a universe with stuff like psychic soldiers, multiple clones of one guy, and bipedal nuclear death robots. It's not hard to argue that MGS4 was pretty over the top, but all of the other games are still well beyond the "over the top" marker as well. Rising fits in pretty well in the over-the-top department if you ask me.

And this has a robot with a sword the size of a skyscraper. Yes, Raiden was OP in MGS 4. He's even MORE OP now. In 1, 2 and 3, stuff was crazy, but it was "Snake is a badass" crazy.

For example, the Rex was a mobile weapons platform or some shit like that. It wasn't exactly realistic, but it didn't do backflips. 4 was the limit for me. You don't play MGS3 and then look at this stuff and think "oh, okay. He cut a building in half. With a sword. That's about right". You just don't. This is a game about kaiju level destruction with katanas.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yeah, MGS 4 was taking it too far. He break dances with robots tied to his legs. Nanomachines and shit.

But this is different. Just look at this shit. Don't get me wrong, I have no ill feelings towards it. It's just not Metal Gear for me.
    I totally get what you're saying. I miss the gritty, tense nature of infiltration and espionage of MGS/MGS3. I hope we can get back to a game focusing on that kind of atmosphere instead of the nano-retcon-cluster fuck that was MGS4. Maybe the series will return to the premise of being a hidden operative in the midst of an enemy base with the release of Ground Zeroes.

That said, this game is like an extraction of the best cyborg elements of MGS4, enlarged to its own game. This is something I've wanted since 1998, when I saw a hallway full of guards get demolished by a stealth camo ninja. A cyborg ninja game never would be a traditional stealth affair; it would've had to been an action game or it just wouldn't be right - it wouldn't have been a game where you're playing like a badass cyborg ninja.

This is even better than I could have imagined as far as empowering the player to be a cyborg ninja.
    Last edited by Arttemis; 02-11-2013 at 02:49 PM.

I love it for what it is. It looks cool and it's being develop by a team that knows how to do their job. I don't need much more.

Funny, it never occurred to me how absurd the idea of a chopper taking out two jets is. Everything in Metal Gear is kind of stupid and over the top in a very cool way, but Rising really takes it to another level. If you think of the main MGS games as an original spin on the spy genre, Rising is a huge departure. I kind of feel like forgetting that this is Metal Gear at all is going to be key to enjoying this game for me. Strange, because I wouldn't even consider playing it if it weren't for the Metal Gear name in the title. At worst it's going to be mindless fun with one of the most interesting characters of the series, and I can live with that.

I've never played a Platinum/Clover game that I didn't love.

Vanquish was excellent. I've not tried anything else, frankly I struggle with action games. Hard games are fun, but I like to be challenged in a give me Deus Ex kind of way, not in a give me repetitive strain injury way. I see the appeal, I just can't get into them. Easy mode for me.

I'm also forgiving of Rising's over-the-topness because, well, if you're making a game about Cyborg Ninja MGS4 Raiden it kind of -has- to be over the top and different from a Snake game, cuz he's not Snake (well, duh).

Also, yeah, Platinum is probably one of my favorite devs right now. Oddly enough the one game of theirs I probably liked the least is Bayonetta. (I havent played Madworld though, to be fair).

So does anybody want to play Nostradamus and predict how well this game will sell?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothX View Post
    I'm also forgiving of Rising's over-the-topness because, well, if you're making a game about Cyborg Ninja MGS4 Raiden it kind of -has- to be over the top and different from a Snake game, cuz he's not Snake (well, duh).

Also, yeah, Platinum is probably one of my favorite devs right now. Oddly enough the one game of theirs I probably liked the least is Bayonetta. (I havent played Madworld though, to be fair).
    Mad World was cool for the first 10 minutes. Then you've done everything the game is capable of, I got bored as shit and didn't finish it. Did not like.

Quote Originally Posted by N7 View Post
    Mad World was cool for the first 10 minutes. Then you've done everything the game is capable of, I got bored as shit and didn't finish it. Did not like.
    Yeah, that kind of sucked. However, it doesn't seem like MGR is going to be that.

The freeflowing nature of attacks and combos in this game, to me, feels like the game is capable of limitless replayability. That and the slow-mo slashing in Blade Mode make me hyped as hell.

No idea how much it will sell. P* deserves a blockbuster, though.

I think Rising has an outside shot of breaking 2 million sales by factor of it potentially absorbing DMC fans. Plus while DmC seemed to be the darling of critics, Rising so far has seemed like the darling of hack and slash fans. I haven't met anyone personally who hasn't had something really positive to say about the Rising demo.

Ninja beach cat doesn't have nice things to say.

Shit, tomorrow can't come quickly enough.