Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33

Thread: Metal Gear Solid: Rising

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Brightside hath directed me here for assistance.

Does anyone have tips for parrying? For some reason I'm having difficulty getting the hang of it. Both against normal guys and Blade Wolf. I've only parried Blade Wolf once so far and it was totally by accident.

And another thing. I'm having a bit of difficulty grasping Zandatsu/blade mode mechanics. I'm told that I should be able to Zandatsu enemies at pretty well any time. But sometimes when I run up to enemies and go into blade mode, the boxes don't show and if I attack it acts like I'm attacking the enemies normally (rather than hacking them into bits). So far I've seen the Zandatsu boxes show up when the enemies' eyes glow and they're about to attack, but I don't think I've seen it other than that.

Funny how ridiculously easy Metal Gear Ray was compared to Blade Wolf. Brightside (or whoever said it on Brightside's stream) was right. Blade Wolf is the Matador of MGR.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marche100 View Post
    when I run up to enemies and go into blade mode
    There's your problem. The boxes only show up when the enemy's weak enough. The screen flashes and does a "whoosh" sound when their health is low enough.

Do the parry when their eyes glow. But you might also want to try doing PERFECT parries by parrying right before they hit you. The animation is different so you'll know if you got it right and Raiden does a counterattack which stuns some enemies.

I haven't played in awhile but I remember that in Sam's DLC, you can stun Wolf by perfect parrying his lunge attack (not the one where he glows and tries to grab you).

On my first playthrough, I cheesed through most bosses with a full set of healing items.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sy View Post
    There's your problem. The boxes only show up when the enemy's weak enough. The screen flashes and does a "whoosh" sound when their health is low enough.
    Ugh. So I have to weaken geckos, too. I hate fighting those things. That's what killed me when I fought Blade Wolf my last time (before turning off the console so I could go watch Brightside's stream). Had Blade Wolf down to 33% or so. It whipped out a single gecko. The gecko rammed me twice. Ugh.

Do the parry when their eyes glow. But you might also want to try doing PERFECT parries by parrying right before they hit you. The animation is different so you'll know if you got it right and Raiden does a counterattack which stuns some enemies.
    So what, I should attack when their eyes glow to parry them? And yeah, I've been trying to do perfect parries with the normal enemies. Don't know why I can't do it consistently. I could swear I hit them at the right time quite a bit, but Raiden doesn't do his counterattack. :\

On my first playthrough, I cheesed through most bosses with a full set of healing items.
    I feel like I'll be cheesing most of the bosses, too. Hard difficulty certainly is looking like it lives up to its name.

You press forward+square to parry. Wait, don't they tell you that in the tutorial?

You skipped the tutorial, didn't you :3

You press forward+square to parry. Wait, don't they tell you that in the tutorial?

You skipped the tutorial, didn't you :3
    No, I didn't skip the tutorial. I played it twice. I was asking if I should attack right when I see their eyes glow as if that's the opportune time to parry.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    No, I didn't skip the tutorial. I played it twice. I was asking if I should attack right when I see their eyes glow as if that's the opportune time to parry.
    No. There should be a weapon glow. Orange = parry. Yellow = dodge.

Step one: buy the dodge in the move shop.

Step two: forward + square is parry.

Step three: only blade mode when enemy is weakened by damage or stunned by parry. The squares are targetable areas.

Ah. Now I get what you're trying to say (I think XD). Yes, you do the thing when you see the glow. But yeah you have to press forward and attack at the same time. Holding forward then pressing attack doesn't count.

I never knew there was also a queue for dodging. Is there also some sort of bonus for dodging perfectly?

Thanks for the help. I'm good with parrying now. I got gud at it, fought Blade Wolf, and took maybe two or three hits total.

One last question. I noticed when I beat him (and one time after perfectly parrying an enemy) that this massive Japanese symbol appeared on the screen and everything went into slow-mo. I know I can do something cool there, but I don't know how. Should I go into blade mode or something when I see that?

Alright, don't answer that. I'm right. Blade mode.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    That's the ZANDATSU prompt. That's what you'll get when you parry and then Blade Mode.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    and it never stops feeling good

Quote Originally Posted by King Süshi View Post
    and it never stops feeling good
    No it does not.