Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid: Rising

I played the demo of this game that came with ZOE HD and I was really impressed. The enemy range wasn't the best though. It was mostly just generic soldiers, but the gameplay was great. The cut mechanic is really cool.

Pwnd
    So Kojima thought that Gray Fox should have been the lead in Rising, but that would have meant he'd be writing the story and doing some actual work. I respect the man's laziness. I guess we'll just have to settle for the downloadable outfit.

I'm also fucking around about Kojima being lazy.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    The craziness that Raiden is capable of is the sole reason for me having no qualms with the choice of protagonist. This gameplay looks beyond phenomenal. P* knocked the style of super powered ninja out of the park/universe.

[Level 4: Cyborg] IsolateMutate's Avatar
    THAT ONE PLACE IN SCANDINAVIA NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT
    So is this game gonna be better on 360 or PS3? Japanese games are often better on PS3, but afaik Bayonetta was kinda terrible on PS3 compared to the 360 version.

Bayonetta was designed to be an exclusive, but Sega decided they wanted a multiplatform release and paid a cheap, in-house team to port it. It's a remarkably bad port of an incredible game, but still, it's playable despite the half framerate.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Oh, Sega. You'll do anything for money.

Except promote your games outside Sonic.

Binary ...what?!

And you say there are 2 days till release?

Ohhh.

Pwnd

Random Thoughts of Revengeance

Just completed the tutorial of the 360 demo and eh, I think they did Blade Mode better in Jedi Academy. Kinda sucks how you're locked into position as you strike. Hell, Afro Samurai had more intuitive controls than this. Guess I'll get used to it, and if not button combos are still an option.

Ok. So now I'm in a big-ass armored hang glider and some Doktor guy just told me to remove the left hands of my foes while extracting their fluids. Yep! Feels like Metal Gear already. I like how "Kojima" is interchangeable with "goth kids on acid".

...and it's none other than Desperado Enforcement LLC! Heck yes that gets the bolding. This is also the exact point where I'm going to stop typing, because Jetstream Sam just showed up and...for Thor's sake man. That's Jetstream Sam. How can I post on the internet while a threat such as he goes unchallenged?

Clearly, this demo requires my full attention immejiately. Now I'm at the part where he lands after being fired from his stealth bomber as if he were a human torpedo, and I am presently cutting the crap out of everything within ten steps of said arrival zone. The environmental interaction more than makes up for the control issues I may or may not have and the story looks like my kind of batshit crazy as well. Yes, I'll be preordering this.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 01-23-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: takin notes yo

My favourite bit of the demo was the existential-chainsaw-robot-dog. That and slicing people up in to 180+ different pieces.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrustle View Post
    My favourite bit of the demo was the existential-chainsaw-robot-dog. That and slicing people up in to 180+ different pieces.
    I'm stuck fighting him now because my Anarchy Reigns reflexes keep throwing me off. Every time I get put on the defensive, I instinctively press X+A for a 360 attack. Ha!

I see what you're saying though, the first cutscene of the dog won me over. What you said and the music was pretty great too.

edit

Aww that's all? I was hoping Robodog would have more of a speech on his way out. The "freedom undefined" thing was good though. Ultimately the only thing which disappointed me about the demo was that it's not long enough. I was hoping there'd be more to it but ah well. It's only a few weeks until the full game comes out. Was tempted to get the LE but that's a hell of a lot of money for a plasma lamp -- I'm thinking the Gamestop preorder will suffice. Might be kinda Will definitely be cool having Gray Fox as an option.

Spoiler!

I hear so many complaints about the parrying system. I FUCKING LOVE IT! In a game where you use a slow-mo slice 'n' dice mechanic and spam square and triangle, I think it's amazing that the defensive move is to just press forward and continue pressing square. It takes the whole philosophy of not slowing down the game by foregoing a traditional block mechanic, and streamlines it even further by not even making you move your thumb to instantaneously deflect/parry.

This game is beyond amazing.
    Last edited by Arttemis; 01-23-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: fixed a couple things due to incomprehensible phone gibberish

I'm almost convinced this is a different build to the one I played at Eurogamer. Maybe I'm imagining things, or maybe not. To my eyes it looks more drab now, like they've turned the colour saturation down or something. I'm not a huge fan of the level anyway, it almost could have been lifted directly from MGS4, but I swear it looked nicer the first time around. Or perhaps I'm crazy, or blind, or both. Another thing I didn't notice at Eurogamer was that the audio isn't quite up to par, specifically the music and voice acting, but mostly the voice acting. I'm getting a noticeable drop in frame rate when I cut things up into enough many pieces too sometimes.

These things are not deal breakers by any stretch of the imagination, I still want the game, I just thought it was worth mentioning. I hate to be negative, Rising looks like it will be the best thing since MGS2, I'm just a little disappointed about a few things.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    I really started enjoying this game once I got a hang of the Blade Mode, but then that dog showed up and I was completely destroyed. Yeah, this game really isn't for me. BUT I enjoyed the technical side of things. Sure, there was the odd screen tear, but I was pretty amazed at the frame rate, even when it got batshit insane.

I will say that it feels utterly removed from the MG universe. The characters feel like they were ripped from a Capcom game, e.g. Lost Planet.

Pwnd
    The dog is remarkably easy to beat once you figure out his pattern and do two things; run around pressing RT+Y, and back him up against walls while unleashing Blade Mode. Don't even try parrying against him. He has a chainsaw for a tail. There are also some power-ups in the cargo crates like health and some grenades.

The part that surprised me most was the stealth. I got through almost the entire middle sequence without being seen, which was neat. Really didn't think there'd be a backstab animation for the bots, was pleasantly surprised to see that there was.

Oh yeah another thing, the dog fight is much easier if you get health from the humanoid enemies. Hit them a few times in Blade Mode and you get a prompt to press B, which sends Raiden into a fatality animation and fully restores his life.

Yeah, those health packs come from slicing through the red squared sections on the enemy. During those stealth executions, you can enter blade mode and start slicing and dicing, too. I'm fairly certain I chopped a rocket and grenade in half in slow motion, nullifying them mid air. Game of the year.

I recommend everyone give both controller layouts a chance, with the left stick and right stick swapped in blade mode. The default seems to throw me off by moving the camera with the left stick when I'm expecting to still be moving forward, and the alternative makes the right stick the camera control like it is in essentially all games. I like to line up the first attack with the two sticks, then just utilize the square and triangle buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    The part that surprised me most was the stealth. I got through almost the entire middle sequence without being seen, which was neat. Really didn't think there'd be a backstab animation for the bots, was pleasantly surprised to see that there was.
    Yeah, this. The first time I played we were basically told to get through the demo as quickly as possible because the line was over an hour long. Now that I've actually had some time with it, I'm pretty impressed, I genuinely believed this was going to be a pure action game. It's strange though because there's no crouching or pressing up against walls, the stealth is primitive enough that I think it was added at a later stage in development. It feels almost as if you shouldn't be able to go unseen, it's cool though, I like it. I hope you can sneak through all of the levels but I'm 99% sure that won't be the case since that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game, wouldn't it?

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I like the stealth of the game but I kind of wish they wouldn't do the slow-down stab animation every time you backstab someone.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothX View Post
    I like the stealth of the game but I kind of wish they wouldn't do the slow-down stab animation every time you backstab someone.
    I'm pretty sure they pause like that because that is a prompt to slice and dice them to get their electrolyte heal/recharge. I kind of get the feeling that where MGS3 had hidden first person perspective sections, this game will have slasher moments because why the fuck not!?

Pwnd
    The dog is very easy to parry. You can block his tail too. Time your inputs before his attacks, which he always telegraphs with an orange glow.

[Level 8: Skynet]