Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Horror Thread

made this happen

The Horror Thread

I am disappoint. I did a search for a horror thread. What did I find? Nothing! How is this even possible? In the dozens upon dozens of forums I've frequented, there has always been at least one horror thread. Yeah, I saw the zombie thread. But that's just the pinkie toenail of the MASSIVE BEAST that is horror.

Horror is definitely my most favoured genres of entertainment. I grew up obsessed with it (two of my first crushes were Elvira and Frankenstein's wife), and it's become a part of me. Like how if you eat too many carrots your skin will turn yellow. Just like that I think.

So this is a thread to talk about terrifying things that make our pants wet in oh so many ways. Movies, games, literature, your mom, whatever.

Hmmm...I'll start off with some of my favourite classic horror movies, before shit got sour:

Jacob's Ladder
    Re-Animator
    Hellraiser (series)
    The Exorcist
    Eraserhead
    The Night of the Living Dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    Zombi 2
    Return of the Living Dead
    The Thing
    The Prince of Darkness
    In the Mouth of Madness
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Amityville Horror
    The Gate
    Alien
    Event Horizon
    The Serpent and the Rainbow
    Evil Dead/Army of Darkness

I could go on, but I'll stop there. Any movie recommendations? I've been trying to find good classic horror movies that I haven't seen yet. I ordered Videodrome and Basket Case off of Netflix, so they'll be here shortly.

Pwnd
    This just might be the most awesome name of any horror movie, ever:

One of the old school Hammer films with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. It's been years since I watched it, but I remember it being pretty good. I especially liked how Dracula used his vampiric abilities to present himself as a Satanic high priest, which allowed him to form a cult made up of the most intelligent and educated men in the world. Here's a link to the entire film if you're interested.

Event Horizon should also be mentioned, because it's genuinely unnerving and one of the only horror films I've seen that actually got to me. That one scene with the guy holding his own eyes out to the camera and laughing sticks out in my mind to this day.

Eats like a goddamn hero.
    Hopefully you mean the original Dawn of the Dead...

Also, I am not sure if I'd call Predator 1 & 2 and Aliens a horror movie. Alien was a horror/scary movie but Aliens was more action sci-fi. Predator 1 maybe slightly horror but more action, same with 2.

Admin / Midget King
    Avoiding stuff that's already been mentioned: The original The Haunting, The Changeling, Freaks, The Serpent and the Rainbow, the first Nightmare on Elm Street, The Night of the Hunter, the first Halloween, and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Definitely wouldn't classify Aliens and Predator 1 & 2 as horror myself.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I am an all around huge horror fan, no matter how cheesy or unbeliveable it is, if it can hold my attention then it gets a pass from me.

Dawn of The Dead (BOTH versions) - i really liked the way the remake came out def a huge fan of it.

The Thing - i mean seriously i know its already been mentioned but i have to since i have a tat of it on my upper right shoulder.

Inside (French) - highly rated by me

Martyrs (French) - the plot i found to be amazing everything else is just a sweet sweet bonus

High Tension (French) - yer, liked it def an edge of your seat film.

Midnight Meat Train - Clive Barker weird twist dug some of it, watchable.

Hellraiser 1-2

Saw 1-whatever is the latest one - im a sucker for these films, the latest one actually made me a fan again.

Hostel 1-2 - if you could only pick one watch the first one.

Cabin Fever - Eli Roths masterpiece

Splinter (2008)- Go watch this nao! if you haven't made me a believer in monster films again, looks wonderful in blu-ray

Funny Games (remake) - never saw the original, it is very very dry yet very very horrifing in a "can really happen" way. Real horror (horror that can actually happen) always makes me queezy this one especially.

Boogeyman - cant say it is all that great because it isnt but it did have a wonderful soundtrack (original composed pieces)

The House of the Devil - overall predictable but it is a homage to those 70's horror films.

Im sure i have a lot more if i can think of any ill post em up!

<3 horror <3

"Classic" rec

Sleepaway Camp 1&2 - gather your friends for this popcorn fest, the twist in the original is awesome. Not really scary by todays standards but makes for a good popcorn film.

Creepshow

Puppet Master series - grew up on this series during my teen years.

Cat's Eye

Chopping Mall - release the killer robots!!! lol

Maximum Overdrive - so bad yet a guilty pleasure of mine

Critters - not really horror horror but close

Amityville - <3 almost all of them

It - Killer CLOWN!!!

Candyman

Demon Knight - Tales from the Crypt 1st movie, it isnt gonna blow your socks off but i enjoyed it

I'm all about the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I love a bad guy that talks a lot of trash while doing away with you.

I still get creeped out by the Exorcist. Strangely, that's the only movie that does that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gameboi View Post
    I'm all about the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I love a bad guy that talks a lot of trash while doing away with you.

I still get creeped out by the Exorcist. Strangely, that's the only movie that does that to me.

love the original nightmare too (kinda grew up on it) what are your thoughts on the new one?

me, im hoping it will be good and ill probably check it out opening weekend. gonna be neighimpossible to replace robert englund tho.

Quote Originally Posted by xibalba View Post
    love the original nightmare too (kinda grew up on it) what are your thoughts on the new one?

me, im hoping it will be good and ill probably check it out opening weekend. gonna be neighimpossible to replace robert englund tho.
    I haven't seen much about it, to tell you the truth. As a loyal DVR user, I miss a lot of commercials. I agree that Robert Englund is going to be hard to replace, since he is Freddy, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

[Level 3: Humanoid] JustSurvive's Avatar
    The only movie that still creeps me out to this day is The Shining, easily my favorite horror movie ever.

Totally fine with skeezers
    Ringu hasn't been mentioned?

Even though a billion movies just like it came out afterward, it was still creepy as shit the first time.

Also, agreed with Nightmare on Elm. The bedroom scene is still one of the most badass scenes from any movie period.

made this happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    This just might be the most awesome name of any horror movie, ever:

One of the old school Hammer films with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. It's been years since I watched it, but I remember it being pretty good. I especially liked how Dracula used his vampiric abilities to present himself as a Satanic high priest, which allowed him to form a cult made up of the most intelligent and educated men in the world. Here's a link to the entire film if you're interested.

Event Horizon should also be mentioned, because it's genuinely unnerving and one of the only horror films I've seen that actually got to me. That one scene with the guy holding his own eyes out to the camera and laughing sticks out in my mind to this day.
    People seem to fall a lot in that movie. XD

Quote Originally Posted by BlindsideDork View Post
    Hopefully you mean the original Dawn of the Dead...

Also, I am not sure if I'd call Predator 1 & 2 and Aliens a horror movie. Alien was a horror/scary movie but Aliens was more action sci-fi. Predator 1 maybe slightly horror but more action, same with 2.
    Oh, of course the original DotD. Though I enjoy the remake if I don't see it as a remake. It wasn't bad by itself, but it was a terrible remake. Also, Day of the Dead 2008 doesn't exist.

Agreed about the Aliens and Predator thing, now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Avoiding stuff that's already been mentioned: The original The Haunting, The Changeling, Freaks, The Serpent and the Rainbow, the first Nightmare on Elm Street, The Night of the Hunter, the first Halloween, and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
    I enjoyed The Haunting and The Changeling, but I've grown kind of tired of haunted house stories. Of course I only recently watched The Changeling, so maybe I've just grown numb over the years. And I completely forgot about The Serpent and the Rainbow; added to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by xibalba View Post

I dunno about the remake. As we've seen countless times, modern sparkle and glitter and crappy actors seem to destroy remakes.

Has anyone heard about the new movie The Human Centipede? I...I just...I don't even...Fucking hell. WHY. And it's not even like they make the shit mysterious or anything; it's in the fucking TITLE for fuck's sake. I've seen plenty of movies where you don't exactly know what's going on until the end. If that were the case here then I might enjoy it, but nope. MOUTH TO BUTT.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSurvive View Post
    The only movie that still creeps me out to this day is The Shining, easily my favorite horror movie ever.
    The Shining is so fucking great. My friends think it's pretentious, but I think it's brilliantly insane.

made this happen
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
    Ringu hasn't been mentioned?
    Ah, yes. Great movie. Asian horror is probably my favourite horror. Fuck the "boo factor", they don't need that to scare the shit out of you. They use fear through fucking with your head, and that's the kind of fear I love. Which is why Jacob's Ladder is one of my top favs. It's also why I could never play Silent Hill 5, because they removed the "fucking with your head" bit and replaced it with "BOO! AHAHAHA GOTCHA!" No.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Yeah, "boo factor" is unnecessary.

I want something that will make me think and question.

made this happen
    Exactly! Fear of the unknown. Stuff that makes you go "Wait, there is something horribly wrong with this scene but I can't quite put my finger on it." Like when a ghost or monster or whatsit is too far in the background to notice at first, so if you do manage to see it then it's the scariest shit in the world. I also love movies where you don't see the monster until the end. Or maybe you never see the monster, so you're still left confused and dazed.

[Level 3: Humanoid] Cyanide Smoker's Avatar
    I hate American made Horror as of late. Plagued with unoriginal ideas, Remakes/reimaginings/reboots, raped foreign remakes, and PG-13 'Pop-Horror'. The absolute WORST are franchises/remakes of R-rated films into PG-13.
    The new wave of this Japanese 'Splatterpunk' genre I LOVE! Tokyo Gore Police, Robogeisha, Meatball Machine, etc. The gore is simply so imaginanitive and the CG is lacking, giving rise to my favorite of Horror movie staples: Physical effects. Rubber, latex, and Red Corn Syrup.

I have been a fan of Eli Roth since the beginning, as well George Romero and Takashi Miike. Despite my hatred for recent American Horror, I am a slasher movie fiend. All the classics apply, but recently 'The Tripper' was probally one of the better Slasher flicks I have seen come out of the states.

made this happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanide Smoker View Post
    I hate American made Horror as of late. Plagued with unoriginal ideas, Remakes/reimaginings/reboots, raped foreign remakes, and PG-13 'Pop-Horror'. The absolute WORST are franchises/remakes of R-rated films into PG-13.
    The new wave of this Japanese 'Splatterpunk' genre I LOVE! Tokyo Gore Police, Robogeisha, Meatball Machine, etc. The gore is simply so imaginanitive and the CG is lacking, giving rise to my favorite of Horror movie staples: Physical effects. Rubber, latex, and Red Corn Syrup.
    Wholeheartedly agreed. One of my favourites is Ichi the Killer. I also loved Tokyo Gore Police, though the bit at the end with the "FLYING ARM OF DESTRUCTION" made me lol in an awkward sort of way.

Totally fine with skeezers
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic Maverick View Post
    Tokyo Gore Police
    still need to watch this.

brb, Netflixing

I haven't gotten to watch any horror movies in a while since I had to cut out Netflix
    But as for a recommendation, the first one I thought of that maaybe you haven't seen is Repulsion.. though it's Polanski, so you may have. That movie kinda messed with my head; I love it.