I'm as skeptical as anyone, especially since I haven't seen this posted here yet, but multiple sources are in agreement that this is extremely likely, if not actually happening. Details are to be revealed next week.
Some quotes in case those links fall off the face of the earth:
I'm going to go ahead and call this one, no more speculation - Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be hitting next-gen consoles in late 2010 or early 2011, and that's that! Personally I don't have anything against these over-the-top extravagant trips that the publishers are doing, as I've been to many of them. And almost always there is a small sense of our "impressions" coming away jaded due to the epic situation around us; I can't think of a worse place for that type of feelings to take place other than Hawaii. Take it for what it is, some it may not bother at all, other writers will pop-out 9s and 10s for anything Capcom releases this year. It's an unfortunate aspect of the video game industry but it happens everyday. As does it happen with the exclusive review debacle, if you see an "exclusive" review just go ahead and run now; I have been in this business for 8+ years and knows exactly what happens with things like that; all I can say is don't trust the reviewer (scores have been set way out before the game arrived). Now back to that official Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (stand-alone disc) announcement that I was screaming, yep it's true, rejoice!So who do you want to be in it?There's an embargo on the details, so you won't be seeing screen shots, movies and other things until early next week, but here's the notes they were able to get together.
• Confirmed characters so far are Wolverine, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Magneto, Storm and a few others will return.
• The Marvel vs. Capcom 3 development team said they will be blowing fans out of the water with the sheer number of characters this game includes on the disc.
• This will be another 2D fighter — gameplay-wise — but will be something of a cross between the original Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter 4.
• The rumored release date is late 2010 or early 2011 on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, no plans right now for other systems.
• The game will run in 1080p resolution.
• It will be a disc-based release.
• Apparently the game will have unlockables again.
• Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be playable at this year's E3 which is held on June 15 - 17th.