Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Favorite Destructoid Memories? (Happy 4th Anniversary Destructoid!)

Fifth Dimensional Admin

What Are Your Favorite Destructoid Memories? (Happy 4th Anniversary Destructoid!)

It's hard to believe it's been four years already! Watching this site grow from a simple scam run by Niero to get invited to e3 into one of the best gaming communities ever has been amazing experience, and I'm proud to have been around to witness it.

Grim already wrote up a fantastic feature for the front page (which includes a must-see image gallery), but I wanted to create this thread for everyone to share the Destructoid-related memories that have stood out in your mind and affected you over the last few years. This isn't limited only to the long-time members of course; those of you who only recently joined are more than welcome to share any stories you have!

There are dozens of memories I could mention: the launch of the cblogs, WiiSucks, the Eternity's Child review, the How Many Wolves Must Die? ad, the Dprime - Also, Cats thread, the point when I realized I actually had a positive reputation around the site simply for my snarky front page comments... Some of the more bittersweet memories involve staff and community members who are no longer around for various reasons. I still miss most of them. Hell, a small part of me actually misses World Famous. A very, very small part.

The one that stands out most for me is when Hamza front paged our Left4Dead short on Christmas Day 08. The buzz for the game plus being featured on one of the slowest news days of the year created a perfect storm that led to the video getting a ridiculous number of views in a very short time. That was an incredible surprise, and the kind comments and support from the staff and community regarding all of our silly little videos touches me deeply to this day. It's an enormously fun creative outlet for me, and one I would never have even thought of attempting if not for Destructoid.

So now it's your turn! Whether it involves something that happened on the site, during a gaming event, or while hanging out with other Dtoiders online or IRL, what do you look back on fondly when you think of Destructoid? What makes you say "This is why I love this place"?

[Level 6: Robot]
    On an island in a hatch pressing a button
    All of the shenanigans with Wiisucks and Distrato or Heretic as he came be known were pretty funny. I like the community as it is now though. I think overtime Destructoid has definitely become a much more friendly place to be in general.

Keeper of the Reals
    On the frontpage:
    Aaron Linde.
    Foxtoid.
    How Many Wolves Must Die?
    Geraldo Beedog's live blogging.
    The Runner thing with Gaijin Games.

On the forums:
    Many of the multiple memes that spawned in them.
    Minxx trolling and the Shower thread.
    All the 'shopping.
    The Banj and Serp duet.
    CG.
    The old Skype FNFs and their respective forum shenanigans.
    The Gatsby and Zombutler duet.
    Having fun with Valentin and Mk.
    Being assholes.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Probably finding the Steamtoid group. Just knowing that we had so many people so many places made me happy. It's almost like I feel that Destructoid is just the sub-group I belong too while part of the Steam group.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrael View Post
    On the frontpage:
    Having fun with Valentin and Mk.
    He's gone now. But at least he never left Destructoid in his heart.

Watching (hearing?) podtoid grow in to what it is now. Discovering the genius of Jim Sterling. Getting involved in the community. annnnnnnd PKF's amazing drawings.

I'm forgetting a ton of other shit that was memorable. (that's an oxymoron)

Keeper of the Reals
    Oh yeah, Podtoid.

Naoto #1 Fan
    What really sticks out in my mind is the huge support the forum guys had when I was moving. That was one of the nicest things I think anyone's done for me. I love all of you guys (excluding Banj, CG, Mk, Valentin, and gh).

And the awesomeness that is Podtoid, Drunkcast, and RFGo.

Arguing with Gatsby every week for four months about games, and arguing with everyone about Final Fantasy in the arcade every week :P

This front page post is what made me finally sign up after lurking for months. There were more pics in the comments at the time, and with as much fun I had reading the post and comments I knew it would've been even more fun to join in the shenanigans.

The forums have become my home here, with more good things than I can recall having come from them. It took me a few months to start using 'em, but I've already been posting in the basement for over two full years. That's crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonie View Post
    I think overtime Destructoid has definitely become a much more friendly place to be in general.
    I miss the more curmudgeonly vibe, it was endearing. Being nice is fine too, though.

Until I finally started posting in the forums I had no idea what the internet was. You guys welcomed me with only a moderate amount of inappropriate touching and for that I am grateful. My favorite stuff is the Beedog show, House of Sexpresentatives, the Mk and Valentin debacles, "2008. Wildwood, New Jersey", and of course coming home from the bar and posting a bunch of dumb shit while I'm all snookered.

Destructoid. I love it all, and it loves me. Like god, except it exists.
    This makes me so much better than Gyrael.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    I remember when I first came here waaaaay back in the day, when the Wii was getting ready to launch. I got a copy of Red Steel early, and since people had done it before, I scanned the entire manual in so people could read while they eagerly awaited Saturday morning to pick their Wiis up. This pissed Summa off pretty badly. He apparently wasn't a fan of people scanning in manuals, and thought it was "pointless," or something ridiculous like that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by pedrovay2003 View Post
    I remember when I first came here waaaaay back in the day, when the Wii was getting ready to launch. I got a copy of Red Steel early, and since people had done it before, I scanned the entire manual in so people could read while they eagerly awaited Saturday morning to pick their Wiis up. This pissed Summa off pretty badly. He apparently wasn't a fan of people scanning in manuals, and thought it was "pointless," or something ridiculous like that. :P
    lol Summa. What ever happened to that guy anyways?

Naoto #1 Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRoemhild View Post
    lol Summa. What ever happened to that guy anyways?
    Podtoid 94: So Baller.

I miss I hugged.

Epic 8 person party 360 Friday Night Fight L4D versus sessions that lasted until the wee hours; I met some of my favorite people ever through them and they were always hilarious and insane. I <3 those guys most of all. The rest of you are ok too I guess

Oh, and I also <3 Jim Sterling, fuck the haters and the trolled. Dude has done some brilliant shit in his time here.

Head Robot & Destructoid Founder Niero's Avatar
    @ ZombiePlatypus - I really appreciate that Good times. I miss writing on the front page but somebody's gotta do the dirty work to keep this place groovin'

Fifth Dimensional Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasto View Post
    Epic 8 person party 360 Friday Night Fight L4D versus sessions that lasted until the wee hours; I met some of my favorite people ever through them and they were always hilarious and insane. I <3 those guys most of all. The rest of you are ok too I guess

Oh, and I also <3 Jim Sterling, fuck the haters and the trolled. Dude has done some brilliant shit in his time here.
    Remember that time it was four of you guys against me and 3 randoms and my team got absolutely slaughtered over and over again until I lost all hope and became a broken shell of a man? Yeah, good times.

Sterling had been here for over a year before I realized that I was a fan of his from his Morphine Jim days. Even stranger, I found out my former friend/roommate later became an e-stalker/wannabe online nemesis of Sterling's. Small internet.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I cannot really say I have much memories, if any. Edit: Partially becouse I just recently joined [/edit] I do enjoy your podcasts, and your staff is what really keep me here(in a sense). Sometimes I have considered leaving (and quite soon considering I plan on at least staying with Dtoid for a year). I cannot say I had a meetup or anything, nor will I for internet safety reasons. Podtoid has gotten me to laugh lately, and I enjoy that.

But as of writing that I can think of ONE thing. I watched that live steam you did for "Extra life". It was amazingly fun to watch. Even though I felt like a dick for not having any money to donate, but I tried to help your cause. Also, your hijinks where hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Remember that time it was four of you guys against me and 3 randoms and my team got absolutely slaughtered over and over again until I lost all hope and became a broken shell of a man? Yeah, good times.
    Boy, do I heh heh. Hard Rain. First level, one guy was dead before he even went into the Tank Burger; I think you were the only one to really even get out the front door of Tank Burger if I remember correctly. Then, the levels after that shit got really nasty haha. You would have thought one of us assholes would quit and re-join to lend you a hand, but nope.

I promise, if the situation arises again (and it probably will), I will give you some backup. That was dirty... funny, but dirty. But, it's happened to all of us at some point; those guys can be real assholes. And I love them dearly.