Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Destructoid Hip-Hop/Rap catalog thread

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by KD_Alpha View Post
    I'm severely disappointed by the lack of Hieroglyphics, Blackalicious and Atmosphere in this thread. These are some of the best emcees EVER.
    I was gonna get to them eventually. I can't fit all the awesome hip hop I want into one post! Especially Hiero, who went on tour with one of my favorite groups ever last year, Tanya Morgan.

Consisting of Von Pea, Donwill, and Ilyas:

Tanya Morgan - Moonlighting (<-- classic)
    Tanya Morgan - Brooklynati (<-- just as good if not better!)

There's also a number of mixtapes and rare solo releases but there are too many to keep track of.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    What low tech said , if you think there are some artists missing you post them and I'll add them to our list (which is so far pretty fucking amazing!).

We are here to share our music!

I gat the data to turn your body into anti-matter!

fuck it I'm throwing the remix too!

If I'm not mistaken this is the first appearance of Notorious in any video-clips ever!

Flavah in ya ass grease...??! Really Busta .. you mad son! But I still love you!

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraid View Post
    What low tech said , if you think there are some artists missing you post them and I'll add them to our list (which is so far pretty fucking amazing!).

We are here to share our music!

[youtube]9-MLp3l2fkA[youtube]
    I gat the data to turn your body into anti-matter!

fuck it I'm throwing the remix too!

[youtube]SLXYXyAgJTY[youtube]
    If I'm not mistaken this is the first appearance of Notorious in any video-clips ever!

Flavah in ya ass grease...??! Really Busta .. you mad son! But I still love you!
    Gotta include "Gimme the Loot" and "10 Crack Commandments" if you're mentioning Biggie.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Gotta include "Gimme the Loot" and "10 Crack Commandments" if you're mentioning Biggie.
    And "Kick in the Door" and "Cunt Renaissance" too!

Btw,
    Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

EDIT: I'd also like to add Recommended status to those two Tanya Morgan albums. You need to hear them!

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
    You hear Pedagogue of Young Gods? That was off the Niggy physical release. Exact same music as this No One Ever Does, but Saul is doing more spoken word over top of it. Really excellent, I actually prefer it.
    Until this very moment, no. It's apparently a bonus track. That's pretty sweet...I like it.

Idle Warship - Momma May I

Idle Warship is Talib Kweli, Graph Nobel and Res

Alright guys, time for some Grime love...

Dizzee Rascal - Just a Rascal

Shystie - New Style

Contrary to what the Youtube video description says, this CD isn't out yet.

Bonus
    Shystie - One Wish

[Level 8: Skynet]
    +1 for Jurassic 5, Jedi Mind Tricks and Hieroglyphics.

I officially love this thread.

Endtroducing by DJ Shadow is definitely one of my favourite albums ever. It still sounds amazing. Props for Aesop Rock and Blacklacious too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali D View Post
    Endtroducing by DJ Shadow is definitely one of my favourite albums ever. It still sounds amazing. Props for Aesop Rock and Blacklacious too.
    Entroducing is an incredible album. If you guys are wondering where he got the samples for the album from, Wikipedia has most of them listed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endtroducing

Favorite track on there is probably Midnight in a Perfect World or What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1 Blue Sky Revisit). Both are amazing songs.

Endtroducing has that amazing thing of being able to sum up a time and place for me. I bought the CD when I was in London visiting my mate. He lived in a shitty one room bedsit that looked out onto the graveyard in Earls Court. It was November and rainy. He had to go to uni for the afternoon to do some work, so I stayed in the flat and read a book I had bougt and listened to Endtroducing. It just captivated me and I ended up listening to it, 4 times I think in a row. Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt is just so awesome.

Same for me, Ali.

I was at a point in my life where I had just graduated high school, discovered the party scene and got my first good paying job. All of a sudden, everything seemed possible and the drugs made it seem like I had this infinite window of opportunity. Each track of the album reminds me of hanging out with a certain person in a certain instance.

Midnight in a Perfect World, for instance, reminds me of riding in the back of my friends car during a cold Halloween night, drinking some brew and egging the neighborhood with 5 other friends. A friend and I got a little wild and got out of the car to egg a movie theater in the nice part of town and almost got caught. We ran back to the car and as soon as we took off, this song came on.

So that's what it reminds me of.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Entroducing is an incredible album. If you guys are wondering where he got the samples for the album from, Wikipedia has most of them listed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endtroducing

Favorite track on there is probably Midnight in a Perfect World or What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1 Blue Sky Revisit). Both are amazing songs.

I swear how people pick out some of those samples is just mind boggling to me. Especially on The Number Song how did anyone know that he sampled Metallica at the beginning and whats even more amazing is just the way Shadow combines, flips etc all of those samples.

Naoto #1 Fan

The Young Brad Nicholson

Correct me if I'm wrong as I only scanned the whole thread quickly, but how has Tupac/2pac/Makaveli not been mentioned yet.

For that I submit Changes to you.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    yeah, well. nobody wants to bring up the obvious names, although I did mention eminem

I hate the fact that most Tupac fans (and non-fans) seem to consider All Eyez On Me as his highest moment. Shit was alright, but Me Against The World is a fucking classic.

Ray of Sunshine
    Did anyone bring up OutKast? I nominate them into the hall of fame.

Aquemeni is a masterpiece , also B.O.B. has to be one of the most intense songs ever made. I remember when the LP dropped that thing was f'ing incredible we spent so much time listening to that shit! Outkast fucking rocks!

I'm not a huge fan of 2pac but I can appreciate him , this is probably my favorite song notably for the beat.

Shit is sick son!

I remember his postmortem Loyal to the game album being pretty nice.

Also , Here's one of my favorite female rappers ; Her last album was more latin flavored but she's still an incredible MC ... I love her <3

Ladybug Mecca from Digable Planets fame.

Ray of Sunshine
    I should get around to listening to Aquemini. I only know Rosa Parks, and not that well even. I do love ATLiens. Stankonia's a really good album, but about 1/4 of the tracks could be cut out. Especially track 6.

I'M SORRY MISSS JACKSON OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUHH I AM FOOOOORR REEEAAAAAAALLL!

So good!

as for Aquemini please do it's not as "commercial" as Stankonia but it's what put them on the map in the underground scene.

One of my newest discoveries , The Sound Providers ; If you like Jazz Hip-Hop you're gonna love them.
    An Evening with the Sound Providers is a great album!

Totally fine with skeezers
    Limp Bizkit is pretty sick, yo

Ray of Sunshine
    Just a general question, but where do you guys find people to look out for? I've gotten most of mine from Rolling Stone, and a couple from IGN Music.The radio doesn't bear much fruit, and I don't have too many friends who listen, so I don't know where to find new things. Any good podcasts to recommend or magazines to read?