Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadly Premonition: The Thread!

Beast Master

Deadly Premonition: The Thread!

Everyone playing this must-have game, use this damn thread!

I'm only a couple hours in, having just finished up my first trip to the town's hospital. As I was playing the other day it just hit me, York isn't talking to himself when speaking to "Zach", he's talking to the player. "Zach" is us. This game is deep, yo!

Also, I made this helpful equation to explain the obvious influences behind the character of Francis York Morgan:

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I would add agent Cooper from Twin Peaks to the equation.

you know, Mass Effect didn't get me to buy a 360. Gears of War didn't get me to buy a 360. Braid didn't get me to buy a 360 when it was exclusive. The effing awesome Dtoid SFIV 360 community didn't get me to buy a 360.

But Deadly Premonition just might.

Beast Master
    Sadly, I've never seen Twin Peaks, but I've heard the comparisons.

When you do end up getting the 360/Deadly Premonition bundle that'll inevitably come out around the holidays, go ahead and give the Mass Effect games a go. Play them before DP though, if you go to play 'em afterwards you'll just be let down after coming off of such a flawless masterpiece.

Still responds to BLOO

Beast Master
    Don't you just want to whistle along?

Pwnd
    Anybody else notice how xbox.com doesn't even acknowledge the existence of this game?

I haven't got that far in it myself -- I got to the part where he wrecked his car and was like, ok, fuck it, time for bed. There's only so much awesome that the human mind can safely experience in one night.

Still responds to BLOO
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    Don't you just want to whistle along?
    All last night I was. The 360 crew was kinda getting mad I was beating them and thought I was whistling to get at them.

Beast Master
    To be serious for a bit, this game isn't horrible. My only real gripe is the controls being a bit too "stiff" for me, but that's survival horror 101, isn't it? I like the ideas behind the game. Wandering around the small, goofy open world town in the detective story, then going through a nightmare survival horror version of the same town makes for an interesting game. If this had any actual money behind it, or was in the hands of a better team to bring it to life, it could be a blockbuster title. As it is, it's a misshapen, instant cult classic.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    If I didn't have four thousand games on my backlog, and this wasn't March 2 (Bad Company!), I would buy and play this just so I can properly make fun of you for buying and playing this.

Beast Master
    It's miles better than the last shitty 360 budget game I bought, Onichanbara, but not as stupidly fun as Earth Defense Force 2017. This is definitely the most humorous of the three, though.

EDF2017 was the shit for about 4 hours once. My buddy and I got through two dozen waves and turned off the box, only to realize later that night that there was no autosave feature. We tried playing it again, but realized half the fun was trying out some of the new weapons you had and the other half was not doing the same thing over again.

Maybe this will be a two/three-man drinking party rent some night.

Beast Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
    We tried playing it again, but realized half the fun was trying out some of the new weapons you had and the other half was not doing the same thing over again.
    That whole game is doing the same thing over and over again. All the stages are built from the same handful of parts, with only a few variations. But yeah, seeing what kind of new guns you'd get was fun. I think I like it mostly because I always wanted to play a Godzilla game from the perspective of the humans, being a little guy running around a huge city while monsters were duking it out and buildings collapsed all around.

[Level 6: Robot]
    EDF 2017 is one of the most hardcore games ever made. If you try playing it on the higher difficulties, it's fucking INSANE and many levels require co-op play for you to stand a chance. But you have to try and find some that you can beat, and hopefully get some random high level weapon drops out of. It's crazy how strategic the weapon selection gets at the harder difficulties.

Oh and uh Deadly Premonition. Yeah I only played through the hospital so far too. My boyfriend has already beaten the game though, and he didn't sound let down by it either. It sounds like the game doesn't let up from it's inane humour and plot twists the entire time through. And a game managing to maintain it's positive aspects through the whole of it's running time (which is surprisingly long for this game) is something very rare these days.

Also if I wrote articles, I would totally write one about how the usage of "Zach" in the narrative may be the first instance of a game introducing the player as a legitimate entity within the game's universe, instead of an omnipotent force controlling a character. Since you play as a part of York's mind, instead of York himself, it allows you to have an influence on the world, without being a magical avatar within it. It's not the same thing as most Western RPGs, where your character's personality is shaped entirely by your direct choices and they are a blank slate without you. Nor a Eastern one, where your character is generally locked into a linear path, as either a mute Link entity or an almost entirely self directed character in terms of plot.

Deadly Premonition provides an interesting combination of the two styles. York is his own person, with his own ideas and thoughts. Other than occasionally looking to you for advice, you don't have a direct influence on what he says or how he interacts with people. You are able to control where he goes, but York still questions why you are going certain places if they're not part of his current main quest line. And of course when driving around, he'll start up his ever amusing idle conversations.

However, when combat sequences come up, he says things that imply he is deferring all control to Zach. York himself is not a fighter, whereas you, the player, are naturally well suited to handle these things. York is just a spectator during these sequences, making exclamations about how you made a nice headshot on an enemy or what have you. It's a pretty clever commentary on how player's generally interact with a game world as well.

Goddammit! I thought this was on PC! Well, looks like I won't be playing this for a looooong while.

Deadly Premonition is so much awesome. The core gameplay actually doesn't suck (it's not great, but it isn't rage-inducing either) and the dialogue is amazing.
    Everyone with a 360 buy this game. It's only $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    EDF 2017 is one of the most hardcore games ever made. If you try playing it on the higher difficulties, it's fucking INSANE and many levels require co-op play for you to stand a chance. But you have to try and find some that you can beat, and hopefully get some random high level weapon drops out of. It's crazy how strategic the weapon selection gets at the harder difficulties.
    One of the most enjoyable games I'd ever played. And my friends were amused by the ability to destroy every building in sight in stead of, you know, defending the earth from ants that spew acid from their butt which are dropped by the UFO. Also, laser cannon kaiju.

I'd ordered Deadly Premonition already but it'll take a week or two to arrive, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it
    since I'm a big fan of horror games, puzzles, wacky comedy and general weirdness.

Is there any explanation for why the woman attack you by inserting fist? Any reason why they prefer that way of attacking?

Edit: In case you guys miss the news, Deadly Premonition PS3 version is available in Japan
    http://www.destructoid.com/play-deadly-premonition-in-english-on-your-ps3-164837.phtml

Quote Originally Posted by shinigamiDude View Post
    One of the most enjoyable games I'd ever played. And my friends were amused by the ability to destroy every building in sight in stead of, you know, defending the earth from ants that spew acid from their butt which are dropped by the UFO. Also, laser cannon kaiju.

I'd ordered Deadly Premonition already but it'll take a week or two to arrive, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it
    since I'm a big fan of horror games, puzzles, wacky comedy and general weirdness.

Is there any explanation for why the woman attack you by inserting fist? Any reason why they prefer that way of attacking?

Edit: In case you guys miss the news, Deadly Premonition PS3 version is available in Japan
    http://www.destructoid.com/play-deadly-premonition-in-english-on-your-ps3-164837.phtml
    The game is full priced in Japan though, which is $80... so yeah. I assume they stick their hand in your mouth because they're trying to tear out your tongue, as the two victims I saw both had their tongues removed.

I assume they stick their hand in your mouth because they're trying to tear out your tongue, as the two victims I saw both had their tongues removed.
    I see, that's some deep shit. Even if the victims live, they won't be able to share how full of terror their experience is since their tongues are removed.

The game is full priced in Japan though, which is $80... so yeah.
    Maybe they charge full price in Japan since Japanese people like those wacky stuffs or just a trap for people unaware of the price outside of Japan

But when was the last time that a foreign games do really well in Japan. Heard that Gears of war did pretty well but it must be the doing of non-Japanese people in that country.

Quote Originally Posted by shinigamiDude View Post
    Maybe they charge full price in Japan since Japanese people like those wacky stuffs or just a trap for people unaware of the price outside of Japan

But when was the last time that a foreign games do really well in Japan. Heard that Gears of war did pretty well but it must be the doing of non-Japanese people in that country.
    The game is made by Japanese developers.

Wow! my bad, I never gave it a chance to think that the game might be made by Japanese developers, apart from knowing that it is published by Ignition.