Thread: Quick hit (question)! Can American PS3 play Japanese games?

[Level 4: Cyborg]

Quick hit (question)! Can American PS3 play Japanese games?

I heard you can play Japanese games on an American PS3 with no mod chip. This true?

I only ask because apparently No More Heroes HD will feature the English track, and I want to play it oh so badly if I can without modding my PlayStation.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I heard the same thing, it's all good sir. No mod chip necessary.

Yeees! Thank you, sir.

Now I don't have to worry about No More Heroes HD getting picked up in America

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Wait a second, NMH PS3 has the english track? YES.
    Totally importing.

Yep, you can hear a few in this trailer and it's mentioned in the comments.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by theredpepperofdoom View Post
    Wait a second, NMH PS3 has the english track? YES.
    Totally importing.
    Was gonna say haha. Those words didn't register in my brain correctly the first time I read it I guess.

YES, indeed.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    yep, no region lock for PS3 games, however it's still in place for dvds/blurays and I think PS1 games (and possibly PS2, if you're lucky).

FKA The Mad March Harris
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    yep, no region lock for PS3 games, however it's still in place for dvds/blurays and I think PS1 games (and possibly PS2, if you're lucky).
    We're in the same region as Japan for Blu-Ray though. And most major movie studios don't even use region coding anyway.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurain View Post
    Everything but PS3 games are region locked.

DLC is region locked.
    ya forgot about that. Not only is DLC region locked, it's actually locked to the regional product code. So for example if a game has different PAL versions you can't use, say, French DLC with the UK disc - despite both of them being PAL versions. I've heard people in Canada had problems with the Fallout 3 DLC, since there were two NA versions for that.
    I usually buy games from the UK but I have an Italian PSN account, so I learned this the hard way. But it's no biggie, as you can easily create another PSN account on the same console to access the PSN store you want and have the DLC of the correct version on all your accounts on that machine. Just be sure to check whether the DLC actually specifies the exact product code you need.

FKA The Mad March Harris
    After doing some research, if it isn't Blu-Ray then stick with stuff from North America. You can get games and movies from Japan but DVDs, PS1, and PS2 games won't work because CD and DVD coding regions are different (and stupider).

I don't know why they thought it was necessary to have about 8-9 different DVD regions. I do like that Japan is randomly included in Region A for Blu-Ray though. I guess it was pretty much entirely up to Sony to design the regions and they just figured "fuck it, better not isolate the Japanese market this time".

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad March Harris View Post
    I don't know why they thought it was necessary to have about 8-9 different DVD regions.
    To minimize grey imports. Movies didn't use to launch in close succession world-wide (At least the blockbusters do now) about 5 years ago (Star Wars and Lord of the Rings changed that, I guess), so the world was divided into 9 regions for DVDs according to how the big movie studios staggered their launches, to maximize their profits.

I do like that Japan is randomly included in Region A for Blu-Ray though. I guess it was pretty much entirely up to Sony to design the regions and they just figured "fuck it, better not isolate the Japanese market this time".
    Nope, Sony had as much input as the other movie studios in this decision.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    As an importer I've done all of this. Here's how it goes:

PS3 games are globally region free.
    DLC for games are tied to the region game you buy. Japanese DLC will only work for your Japanese copy of your game. Buy the US version, you buy US DLC.

Blu Rays are a mix of region free and region locked. Depends on the studio, depends on the title. Japan and the USA are region A. If you're looking to buy Anime or the random Japanese live action Man in Suit movie, you're good to go if you live in the US.

If you're looking to buy the big new action movie from Disney or some random Sony catalog title, buyer beware. There are sites that track region coding on Blu Rays and you should consult it before purchasing.

PSX/PS2 games ARE region coded to what region it specifies on the disc. If it says NSTC-J/PAL, it's no go in the US.

The reason why it's Region A for the US and Japan is because the catalog titles from studios like Warner Bros and Sony are using identical releases and the early thought process was to just make shit globally similar to save cash on distribution of the disc media. They could ship a disc with The Goonies on it to Japan with a different sleeve and be done. So if you go buy a copy of say like 2001 or Labyrinth, the only difference between the countries is the paper sleeve. When they finalized the regions in 2005, they opted to make most of Asia "A" so that they could shift unsold units between the regions easier.

So, not buying that copy of Charlies Angels means that the local distributor picks up unsold copies from Best Buy #8472, it sits in a warehouse until there's a mass buying spree of Lucy Liu movies in Japan, and they'll put it out with new Japan'd up cover art and save scratch on publishing a new disc.

Less glut in the warehouse. If you could only imagine how much unsold region locked DVD shit is out there, it would make your head swim. Movies AND Games. More region locks fucked over the entertainment industry big time.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    Oh, and as for region locked DVD's... You people own media players that play MP4's and AVI's. Freaking figure that one out.

It took me all of an hour to get my Region 2 copies of my Miyazaki movies playable dubbed OR subbed on the PS3.