Page 239 of 239 FirstFirst ... 139 189 229 235 236 237 238 239
Results 4,761 to 4,775 of 4775

Thread: Depression Thread - What takes you out of the dumps and what's been bugging you?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    That's cats for you.

I still don't get why you keep your cats in a certain room at night. Of course they don't like it, they're fucking cats. That said, a cat sleeps up to, what, 18 hours per day? So if you play with them during the day a bit, they should sleep through the night and leave you in peace. But I remember telling you that before: if you keep a door closed, a cat will want to come on - why not just leave the door open?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    They make me uneasy when they're in my room. As you said, they become active once the lights are off. First, they get on the toilet, rather noisly, about 15-20 mins after lights off. Then, they rage around the room. No matter how active they were during the day. It's a common suggestion to make sure that they're "spent". I have never seen that work in practice. If they want to sleep, you can mimic the clown for them, they won't give a shit. I tried it. They stand up, watch you like you were a madman, and when you're done, they go back to sleep.

They are just fucking stupid man. It's my own fault for compensating my lonelyness with cats instead of dealing with it another way.

Have you tried a dog?

"They make me uneasy when they're in my room." - not that I want to intrude on anything here, but why? I mean, I have a cat myself, the fucker usually sleeps with us in our bed. Granted, sometimes, when he's a bit too clumsy, he wakes one of us when he is climbing over us or anything, but that is fixed by rolling over to the other side and fall asleep instantly again.
    But I can almost guarantee that the cats will want to get into the room you are in, no matter if night or day. That's just... well, as Lion said, that's cats for you.

Cats are weird.

Well, they were once regarded as gods and they just haven't forgotten.

Let me sum this up with a little help from Charlie-

Quote Originally Posted by OpiumHerz View Post
    "They make me uneasy when they're in my room." - not that I want to intrude on anything here, but why? I mean, I have a cat myself, the fucker usually sleeps with us in our bed. Granted, sometimes, when he's a bit too clumsy, he wakes one of us when he is climbing over us or anything, but that is fixed by rolling over to the other side and fall asleep instantly again.
    But I can almost guarantee that the cats will want to get into the room you are in, no matter if night or day. That's just... well, as Lion said, that's cats for you.
    Yeah, true. How old is your cat? MIne are still rather young, two years, I'm begging for the days when they calm down and just want to sleep at night.
    They make me uneasy because I know they're gonna be active. I don't dare turn around because they react to sound. That's also partially true when they're out in their room.

You know, the worst thing about all my talk is, I know I can't give them away. They are precious to me, those little shitbags. They would have to rob my sleep for several days in a row and make me believe it won't ever change for me to seriously consider doing that.

But it's a really big thing for me to not get sleep. I don't sleep much, 6 hours, but those, I need. My day can get real, real shitty if I don't get the sleep I need, and I don't get much to begin with.

And right now, it's not like I don't got nothing to deal with. 20hours work, university readings, finding a new home within 6 months, writing my thesis. It's not like I can allow myself to be a zombie during day, I got shit to do.

Mine is a bit older, but he still plays a lot, chases flies and insects and... well... is a cat.
    Maybe you should just try and let them into your room. I think I told you that before. Because, very apparnetly, they don't like being shut out (which is typical for cats and I doubt you can get that train out of their system, no matter what you try). It really boils down to "This is how cats are" (and I already had six other cats, so I have some experience with the fuckers). Why not try to keep your door open? If they climb on the bed and wake you up, chances are you'll just turn around and kick them out of the bed by accident or something like that. Our cat liked to sleep at my feet, until he got a good german foot to the face a few times. Cats CAN learn from stuff like that.

But really, if you shut them out, it won't change. They'll sit there and scratch and meow. Because it's a closed door and their pet is behind it. So in the end, it either you give them away, you deal with the noise or you'll try to arrange with them at night. I would strongly suggest the latter one, but that's only my opinion.

Had to smile at the german foot thing.

I tried letting them in some times, but it was as I described. Thing is, them scratching on the door is still more bearable than them jumping on the bed, and speeding off of it again to chase one another, them jumping on chairs with so much speed they almost fall over... it's madness. All of this is loud even through Ohropax. Two cats make more noise than one cat times two.

I'm really out of options as long as they get crazy when the lights are off. I can choose between giving them away, noise from cratching on the door (+shit on the floor next morning) or even more noise.

Sorry, I don't want to be one of those people who bitch all the time and deflect all incoming suggestions. I try not to do that. I'll deal with it, or not, sometimes I just need to bitch about it. I could do it alot more, but decide not to become a pest.

I have to wonder though: I slept right next to live playing Death Metal bands, literally 20 meters away from the stage, and it worked out well. HOW fucking loud are your cats?

That's hardly comparable since it might have been very late, you might have been drunk etc... (maybe I should drink myself unconscious every night) when I go to sleep during the week, I go sooner than usual, obviously, because I need to get out early. Meaning, falling asleep is the product of a carefully preparated process. I need to have piece of mind, I should not have slept during the day, and it should be silent and peaceful so I get the chance to fall asleep.

That's not the case when cats are rampaging around the room. And it's not just the noise, they like to get on the bed and jump off of it, or even if they stay there, one of the two usually is not sleeping and when she does shit, the other one gets excited and says, "fuck sleeping on this here bed right now, I'm gonna go batshit crazy, hell yeah".

And then it's Sparta again.

What food do they eat? One trick I've learnt over the years is to feed my cats a big can of wet cat food right before I go to bed. Why? Because then they'll spend 10mins eating it, 10mins cleaning themselves afterwards, and then they're full of yummy food so they fuck off and go to sleep for hours. I leave it in the can also so they have to spend extra time trying to get all of it out. If you've not tried that before, give it a go. Remove all of their food a few hours before bedtime so then they're super hungry when it comes to the canned cat food time.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    What kind of cats are they? They may just be an energetic breed; it might be something you can't fix.

That canned food idea sounds good, though.