Page 152 of 244 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 162 202 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 4869

Thread: Depression Thread - What takes you out of the dumps and what's been bugging you?

THE MR.E BIRD
    It'll be one of those silly little ones that old men run businesses out of.

[Level 7: Sentinel]

Ha ha, that's actually what I was thinking. Paint it black with red stripes.

THE MR.E BIRD
    No, paint it white with dirt.

5. 12-19-2012, 04:31 AM

THE MR.E BIRD
    Hey dummy, we're not.

It's the idea that as you reduce the letter at the start down the alphabet, the quality of the team reduces too. As we're on the Destructoid forums we would be the D-Team and fail hilariously.

7. 12-19-2012, 04:44 AM

THE MR.E BIRD
    Yes.

9. 12-19-2012, 04:45 AM

I like Ernie.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I prefer Hamburger Hill.

12. 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Usually people are getting into my van and not the other way about. Getting a brief check up and some DRUGS today, though awaiting going back to London to submit myself to NHS. They did a good job last time.

THE MR.E BIRD
    That means you're due a bad experience with them! ;D

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Noooo, that law of the universe can't be valid this time around!

THE MR.E BIRD
    AppearOfflineBear? Just don't catch the superbug.

Ugh the norovirus. Suffered with that two years ago. Thought I was going to shit or vomit myself to death.

Beast Master
    Had a good/fun night, but then I'm driving home about an hour ago and my mind just wants me to keep driving. I had this urge to just keep driving north, see where it takes me. Or I told myself I could hop on 94 and head east and get lost in Wisconsin. I just wanted to keep driving and find something.

I went home because "Yo I've got work in the morning and responsibilities" but damn do I get these yearnings to find trouble or make adventure.

Then I get home, shut down the car and recline my seat, just laying there parked in my garage for a few moments. Can't really say why. Then I snap my seat back upright, ask myself "What the hell am I doing? Is this an act, and if so who for?" and head inside.

RL friend is having issues. I mean, he's always had issues, but he seemed to be dealing with them and I'm worried cuz now he doesn't seem to be handling things at all. Not sure how to help, but it kills me to see him essentially giving up because he's too anxious/depressed to do anything anymore.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Eclipse View Post
    RL friend is having issues. I mean, he's always had issues, but he seemed to be dealing with them and I'm worried cuz now he doesn't seem to be handling things at all. Not sure how to help, but it kills me to see him essentially giving up because he's too anxious/depressed to do anything anymore.
    I had a friend with this exact same problem. It is probably not the best way but I told her that our friendship can't continue if this is what she's going to let herself become. Every conversation and topic was unbearable, and it became impossible to talk to her. I told her she had to get in therapy or our friendship was over. She promised she would and 2-3 months later she finally started going. Some progress on essential stuff was made really fast but I know it's not that way for everyone. Other than that I really don't know what you can do. I suffered from serious depression through much of my life and when I was really down, it didn't matter much what other people did to try to bring me out of it. All I can suggest is be there and keep encouraging them to make an effort.

Thanks for the feedback Dare. I'm doing what I can, but it's hard sometimes. He has started taking some antidepressants and meds for anxiety so at least he's finally doing something. I used to be a lot harder on him about it until I got diagnosed with depression and realized how much I suddenly understood some of what he's feeling. Difference being I could make myself do things if I know I absolutely had to, he doesn't seem able to.

Just gonna keep offering any help he'll accept and hoping for the best at this point. Guess I just need to vent to people who would get what I was talking about.

Pwnd
    My experience is that you can only help people who want to be helped. That's not to say that you shouldn't try to help him per se, but rather that you should expect your help to collect dust in his subconscious until some event occurs that makes him realize that things need to change. Everybody has to hit a bottom where they realize that their problems are not beyond the comprehension of other people and that maybe the advice they've been given might actually have some weight.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Aside from losing a family member recently, the reaction of the world in general to the Newtown shooting has got me down. The victims' bodies hadn't even gone cold yet before I had to hear from far too many people- both those I agree with and those I don't- finding ways to use 20 dead children to bolster their political platforms or justify their life's choices. The fallout from Columbine was fucking awful, and now we get to relive those times all over again, only this time the bodies at the center of it are even younger.

Also, Revuhlooshun's got it right. It's astonishingly difficult to get anyone to accept a truth that doesn't benefit them unless they felt they came up with it themselves. I've both dealt with this behavior and experienced it myself- and I'm not completely convinced I'm not unawarely doing some awful thing or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Eclipse View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Dare. I'm doing what I can, but it's hard sometimes. He has started taking some antidepressants and meds for anxiety so at least he's finally doing something. I used to be a lot harder on him about it until I got diagnosed with depression and realized how much I suddenly understood some of what he's feeling. Difference being I could make myself do things if I know I absolutely had to, he doesn't seem able to.

Just gonna keep offering any help he'll accept and hoping for the best at this point. Guess I just need to vent to people who would get what I was talking about.
    Sounds like you're doing the best thing, depression is horrible but it helps a lot knowing that people care.

Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    My experience is that you can only help people who want to be helped. That's not to say that you shouldn't try to help him per se, but rather that you should expect your help to collect dust in his subconscious until some event occurs that makes him realize that things need to change. Everybody has to hit a bottom where they realize that their problems are not beyond the comprehension of other people and that maybe the advice they've been given might actually have some weight.
    I think it depends what kind of depression you have though, you can have the sort of passing kind that we all have, or you can have one of those moments in your life when you realise nothing's going right and it keeps dragging you down everyday till things in your life change; and then there's some people that have a sort of depression that most of us can't appreciate that they just can't escape without medication and help, no matter how hard they try.