Page 1 of 224 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression Thread - What takes you out of the dumps and what's been bugging you?

[Level 4: Cyborg]

Depression Thread - What takes you out of the dumps and what's been bugging you?

So I've been having a little drama with my girlfriend over the last few days. Nothing too serious (I hope) and it will probably get worked out anyway. Anyway, I've been feeling like shit for a while and I couldn't think of anything to make me feel better. So I thought I'd start a thread so that others could suggest things, help each other out, and kind of come together and be............well, friends I guess.

So, what gets you down, what gets you back up again, what's been bringing you down lately, and what's your go-to thing that never ceases to cheer you up?

[Level 6: Robot]
    No offense, man, but this needs to go in The Bar. Sorry to hear about your troubles, though.

made this happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Blake View Post
    No offense, man, but this needs to go in The Bar. Sorry to hear about your troubles, though.
    Seems like a legitimate thread to me. Though I think it should be called "Dtoid Counseling", because that sounds hilarious. Although it could also fit into the Venting Anger thread, though not a lot of counseling goes on there.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Writing and music.

I found gaming really makes me feel worse in that I don't really do anything but gap out the crappy feeling. Like putting it on hold while I play 10 hours of fat princess. Ya know?

As opposed to writing and venting while listening to good music, I feel like i've accomplished something even if its just writing some nonsense on my blog.

Start a blogger and just write.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I think it's worth its own thread, though I have nothing to contribute, really.

If something's wrong between you and your girlfriend, it's perfectly appropriate to be upset about it. Just don't let it affect your actions, or you'll only make things worse.

I GET KNOCKED DOWN
    BUT I GET UP AGAIN
    YOU'RE NEVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN

I GET KNOCKED DOWN
    BUT I GET UP AGAIN

Wait until a (preferably large) group of people come to visit and SCREAM those words in affirmation every time you start to feel blue. My therapist told me that, and my therapist is the best.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Check for the thread "Shit that makes you cry" Its basically the same thing. Besides, we already have a bit much of these types of threads.

Just a counterpart to the Happiness thread, seems legit enough.

Quote Originally Posted by timtheterrible View Post
    I GET KNOCKED DOWN
    BUT I GET UP AGAIN

I GET KNOCKED DOWN
    BUT I GET UP AGAIN
    Amazing song is amazing.

I think it's interesting in its own right, this thread. "STMYC" is more like asking what kinds of random movies, songs, and specific situations get you misty. Or, it was the last time I looked. It might've gotten a lot heavier since I last peeked in.

What depresses me . . . it's weird, but I can't really pinpoint anything that ALWAYS depresses me. Sometimes I'll get a bit down in the dumps over the state of American politics and its viciously cyclical nonsense. Or general problems like child abuse; sometimes particularly terrible news stories of that sort will put me in a funk. Personal failure will often do it; money troubles (although I've successfully avoided those for the last three years or so), less-than-perfect grades, having to be corrected at work, etc. Oh, and being sick for more than a couple of days. I hate when my body doesn't work the way I want it to. I'm probably in for a horrible seniorhood.

Luckily, for the most part, these things don't happen often, and even when they do, it doesn't last long. I might mope for a few days, and then always spring into, "What am I going to do about it?" mode. Endless brooding has no use and often only makes things worse through inactivity. There's nothing in particular that engages this reaction; it's always automatic.

I'm too much of a castrating alpha-cunt to stay down very long, I guess.

made this happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Megatron View Post
    castrating alpha-cunt
    I am so saying that to someone the next time it's applicable.

Hmmm...What depresses me...A lot of my bouts stem from this Cosmicism idea that, no matter what the human race does or says, we're still an insignificant speck in a massive universe. And I'm an insignificant speck in the human race who, no matter what I do or say, can't change the state of the world alone. That usually eats away at me for a few days, or sometimes a week, but then I realize that I'm significant in the world that I know. It might not be the entire world, but at least I'm affecting what I pass. And who knows? Maybe what I do could cause some epic chain-reaction.

Recently I've gotten depressed because of the state of the economy and America, and the fact that I live in one of the worst places. No jobs, everyone hates each other...It's also the inner-city, which I hate. I'm a very laid-back person who needs peace and quiet to exist, so it's been a damn shitty one and a half years. That depression goes on for a few days, then I figure there's no use feeling sorry for myself instead of working on a way to get the hell out of here and to a better place.

Listening to music and doing art helps. Though sometimes I'll be too depressed to do art. But, for some reason, I can do music pretty much whenever. It doesn't lift me up as much as art, but it lifts me nonetheless.

Princess Tiny feet
    it was only a matter of time before something like this came about.
    I am having guy troubles. But i'm trying to get over them as well

The Horseman of the Asspocalypse
    I just feel completely unmotivated and worthless lately. My life just won't move, because I can't make it. And I'm more lonely each day; it's gotten to the point where I almost don't care. Every little thing sets me into a whirl of anger and I have trouble keeping calm.

The best cure?

Hatebreed. Some of the most assuring, motivational music in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by JackShadow View Post
    it was only a matter of time before something like this came about.
    I am having guy troubles. But i'm trying to get over them as well
    There is but one way to solve those: ditch the fucker.

Seriously, any "guy trouble" one has shouldn't be any more severe than his leaving the toilet seat up, or maybe that he doesn't listen to you as well as you wish he would. If this is full-on dramatic, don't-know-if-he's-cheating-on-me, never calls, acts like a dick to me in front of his friends, basic disrespectful bullshit like that? Cut him loose. You'll never change him, and I guarantee he's not worth the effort. Trust me.

A worthwhile guy will not give you "guy trouble". Ever.

2008. Wildwood, New Jersey
    I would of thought Princess Megatron's man problem advice would have involved chloroform, a hatchet, lighter fluid, and a perfectly memorized alibi.

Quote Originally Posted by zombielifecoach View Post
    I would of thought Princess Megatron's man problem advice would have involved chloroform, a hatchet, lighter fluid, and a perfectly memorized alibi.
    Well, as I assume most other people want to incur less legal liability than I'm personally comfortable with, I just gave her the quick-and-clean.

For the quick-and-dirty, though, chloroform and hatchet is essential.

2008. Wildwood, New Jersey
    I bet the ol' man had no idea what the whole "'til death do us part" was getting him into.

made this happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Megatron View Post
    There is but one way to solve those: ditch the fucker.

Seriously, any "guy trouble" one has shouldn't be any more severe than his leaving the toilet seat up, or maybe that he doesn't listen to you as well as you wish he would. If this is full-on dramatic, don't-know-if-he's-cheating-on-me, never calls, acts like a dick to me in front of his friends, basic disrespectful bullshit like that? Cut him loose. You'll never change him, and I guarantee he's not worth the effort. Trust me.

A worthwhile guy will not give you "guy trouble". Ever.
    Pretty much this, Jack. If the guy's a dick, punch him in the dick. Unless you're sadomasochistic. And if he says he'll try to be a better bf, then give him one chance. If he fucks up again, then just leave. No questions asked. I've seen too many girls frolic back to their shitty boyfriend because he acted like he was going to change or something, with flowers or some stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by H4RDC0RP5 View Post
    I just feel completely unmotivated and worthless lately. My life just won't move, because I can't make it. And I'm more lonely each day; it's gotten to the point where I almost don't care. Every little thing sets me into a whirl of anger and I have trouble keeping calm.
    I know exactly how you feel. What you need to know is that the only person in life that can ever hold you back is yourself. No matter how large the wall is in front of you, you still have the ability to pass it, given enough time and effort. I suggest making a list of the things you need/want to get done, then making a schedule for things leading up to those accomplishments. Just keep in mind that nothing will change overnight and many things will take more effort than you're used to putting into things. As for the anger, I find just telling yourself how trivial the situation is helps. If you step back and look at yourself from afar, you'll see how stupid the whole situation is. And, instead of getting angry, just laugh jokingly. It's not easy to do at first, but over time it becomes easy.

My job. Seriously. Not just "Oh I had a really shitty day today". I hate it. I actually don't mind the work, it is just the miserable people I have to work with. This is probably the height of their careers. Fuck this noise.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
    My job. Seriously. Not just "Oh I had a really shitty day today". I hate it. I actually don't mind the work, it is just the miserable people I have to work with. This is probably the height of their careers. Fuck this noise.
    I'm the opposite, I work with great people (well, mostly) but I hate the work and the place.
    is there ANYONE who's actually content with their job?