Thread: Google Chrome isn't loading pages at all.

[Level 8: Skynet]

Google Chrome isn't loading pages at all.

I've been having this problem for a while now, anything that should load in Chrome as a web-page (http://www.google.co.uk, about:version etc) will show a blank page for a ton of time, the icon showing the tab as busy will rotate backwards slowly indefinitely and after enough time it'll say the tabs have become unresponsive and that I should kill them. I've tried asking on the Google Chrome help forums, and one person's said to uninstall all my add-ons (after I said in my opening post that I had no extensions) and turn off DNS pre-fetching, both of which did nothing. Well, I turned off DNS pre-fetching, but to access the add-ons, I have to go to chrome://extensions/ and that wouldn't load. I figured I'd ask here, does anyone here know what could be going on?

knows stuff and things.
    Given that your system is infested with malware (as you said in Venting Anger), that would be the reason, I guess.

Solution: Nuke and Pave the system. Most malware wrecks your OS rather thoroughly, and you can't, just can't, be sure that everything that was infesting your system is gone, even after multiple AVs scanned your system and removed malware.

Nuke it from orbit, eh?

I can do that. Only problem being, what's stopping the malware (if it's still there) from sneaking onto the drive used for moving stuff around? I guess I could scan it before removing the drive, then blast the PC...

And scans have shown that there's trojans in a couple of places, but they've been promptly removed.

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mista Smegheneghan View Post
    Nuke it from orbit, eh?
    It's the only way to be sure.

Only problem being, what's stopping the malware (if it's still there) from sneaking onto the drive used for moving stuff around?
    Nothing. Few trojans and viruses do that nowadays, but it's still a risk.

And scans have shown that there's trojans in a couple of places, but they've been promptly removed.
    Aat least the malware your scanner(s) could detect has been removed.

Also: Removal of malware doesn't mean that your system is stable, or even sane again.

I'm getting tired of this stupid virus now. It's made it so that clicking on a link in Google searches will change the link (which it shows as a regular URL in the cursor-over bit) into a different link when it's clicked (not opened, clicked) so to get to a page, I have to take down the URL and type it into the address bar.

Nuking from orbit will be commencing after my college course. This has gone beyond annoying to just plain rude.

knows stuff and things.
    Nuking from orbit will be commencing after my college course. This has gone beyond annoying to just plain rude.
    Once you've done that, and before you install *any other software*: Go and change your passwords and put a watch on your credit card (if any, and if used online in the past two months) for possible fraud (ask your CC issuer, usually your bank), and keep an eye on your bank account if you do online banking.

Keyloggers are quite common by now when it comes to malware.

I thought I could remove it with enough perseverance, but it just seems to have pissed the little bugger off. It's stopped me from accessing the internet via web browsers. I can open Firefox and Internet Explorer, but in the Processes tab, they close a second after opening. Malwarebytes is finding even more stuff. A friend of mine who said his computer had this virus once said it could hide on the RAM so that after a scan and a restart it would start doing shit again.

Fuck this noise, it's nuke time.

knows stuff and things.
    I thought I could remove it with enough perseverance, but it just seems to have pissed the little bugger off. It's stopped me from accessing the internet via web browsers.
    As I said: Malware wrecks the OS. Once infested, you can't trust your operating system anymore.

A friend of mine who said his computer had this virus once said it could hide on the RAM so that after a scan and a restart it would start doing shit again.
    It goes deeper than that: Rootkit.

Basically, malware nowadays uses cloaking techniques to hide themselves from AV, and there's even malware that is capable of sabotaging virus scanners.

So, yeah, nuke it.