Thread: To Never Return Back to Castle Wolfenstein?

[Level 4: Cyborg]

To Never Return Back to Castle Wolfenstein?

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...and-games.aspx

According Major Nelson Mandella....No more original titles for Xbox will be able to be played multiplayer on Xbox 360. It's the hot story for the day and I thought I would give an update...or so I hope.

I do rarely play original games like Battlefront 2 and Halo 2 but supposedly servers are shutting off on April 15th. I was kind of confused so I called Microsoft at the 1-800-4MyXbox and spoke to a rep for quite awhile and I asked the important question..."What about the games on demand original titles will the multiplayer be shut down as well?" I was left on hold for a long time until they came back with a list. They have a list supposedly of games that will still have multiplayer. I asked for two titles at the top of my head. Crimson Skies...they said yes and Battlefront 2 they said no.

Thoughts, feelings...anyone wanna get down on some Outlaw Tennis before its too late?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    No more Phantom Dust guys. When Xbox emu becomes commonplace (read: better than now), Hamachi and the like will take care of this issue. Halo 2 players will be hit the hardest because I know that game still had quite a large online following.

I can't imagine online for Halo 2 will be gone. I'm sure there will be some patch to make Halo 2 still playable online.

They would piss off way too many people if they seriously shut it down.

Jeff Goldblum
    I thought Halo 2 sucked balls personally.

[Level 12: CHET]
    Wow, can't believe Halo 2 is being shut down. I put so much time into that game back in middle school it's weird to think I wont be able to go back and play a few games when I'm feeling nostalgic.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Wow, that sucks. I loved the occasional game of Chaos Theory MP.
    Hopefully this isn't a load of crap and will actually lead to some improvements in XBL.

That's not a knife...
    If the multiplayer servers are shut down for halo 2 does that mean that the friend list will be able to go over 100? Because from what I heard over a year ago, Halo 2 was the reason it was capped.

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cla View Post
    I can't imagine online for Halo 2 will be gone. I'm sure there will be some patch to make Halo 2 still playable online.

Intro thread. Stat. Do it there: Forum Rules and Meet & Greet.

[Level 8: Skynet]

Why is that so hard to believe? It's like 6 years old.

I was an avid Halo 2 player. I'll be on nothing but Halo 2 from now until the day it dies. Over 7000 games played. It was the reason I bought Xbox LIVE. I'll be online when they force me off. I remember back when it was the only game anybody played. Your entire friends list would be on Halo 2. Maybe once a week you would see someone stray to Chaos Theory or PGR2, but other then that it was Halo 2.

The memories I have with this game. The friends I've made through it. So many.

That's not a knife...
    Quote Originally Posted by SchildConstruct View Post
    Intro thread. Stat. Do it there: Forum Rules and Meet & Greet.
    Contributing to a thread, can you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder View Post
    Why is that so hard to believe? It's like 6 years old.
    Because of how easy it would be on the 360 to make a downloadable patch that makes it use the 360's Xbox Live servers (if it's possible to do this on the Xbox1, then that would be done too. But I assume the majority of people playing it still are using a 360) plus the fact that tons of people still play it and it is a huge reason why many of them pay for Xbox Live.

Microsoft's really gonna miss the opportunity to rake in more $$$ just because they're too lazy to make a patch? I don't think so.

If they really don't, then maybe Microsoft isn't as greedy as we all thought.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I really don't see this as a big deal. As for anyone bitching about Halo 2: If you haven't bought Halo 3 two and a half years after it came out, then It's your own damn fault.

The only reason I bought an Xbox was to play Halo 2 so i could actually go to friends and not get owned (yes not pwnd...thats dumb) also i have twice as many orginal xbox box games than 360. I'm down if people wanna roll some Star Wars Battlefront 2 and yes even Halo 2. According to the article changes are coming which could mean more friends or dare i say the taboo....clan support (gasp!). Everyonce in a blue moon i pop in MK Armegedon or Burnout 3 but...really there's no achievements so unless its a compelling story or community support gaming orginal online is just nostalgia guilt....for real though...Outlaw Tennis?...Anyone?....Buller?

Quote Originally Posted by Arch649 View Post
    I really don't see this as a big deal. As for anyone bitching about Halo 2: If you haven't bought Halo 3 two and a half years after it came out, then It's your own damn fault.
    That's not the point. I got Halo 3 at midnight when it released. Halo 2 is lightyears ahead of Halo 3. The ranking system, the weapon balance, the maps, the custom games, the community following.

The only things I would say Halo 3 > Halo 2 is graphics, theater and forge. Nothing gameplay related.

I still think they should put Halo:CE Multiplayer on the XBLA though. Sooo many people would buy that.

And Reach is looking to be MW2 in space.

knows stuff and things.
    Because of how easy it would be on the 360 to make a downloadable patch that makes it use the 360's Xbox Live servers
    And you are sure of that why and how exactly?

Do you have an inkling what sort of burden backwards compatibility can be, especially to a vastly different online experience as it was 10 years ago? XBox Live back when the original XBox came out is vastly different from XBox Live on the 360.

Do you know the sort of middleware (stuff like network code) that is available now, as compared to 10 years ago?

Do you have an idea how much effort it takes to support hardware emulation down to the networking hardware and how it influences modern developments on the hosting hardware's OS?

Don't bother answering, you clearly have no clue otherwise you wouldn't've made the suggestion that all it takes would be a patch.

Also: Make an intro thread. Like, now.

Well think that the traffic isn't enough as an incentive anymore to keep the servers up. I mean EA is always shutting down servers and microsoft is hosting most of these titles. It's mostly to save money on the back end.

[Level 3: Humanoid] EraVulgaris's Avatar
    I owned a Gamecube.