Thread: Zero Cool Episode 20: techno remix

[Level 4: Cyborg]

Zero Cool Episode 20: techno remix

i would change the name of hard corps: uprising to stiff corpse: uprising. it gets rid of confusion about pronunciation, but then comes back and adds confusion about what the game is.

I'd call it Contranime.

Also, Mr. Sean Carey dropped the ball and a fan got to it first! I guess that's good though, because then it doesn't just look like it's Sean and me talking to each other on this subforum.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    yeah, people still don't realize that there are forum threads. or forums. even i'm reluctant to admit the existence of what i'm looking at right now.

also, regarding the study about video games and depression: leaving aside sponsorship issues, the result totally makes sense to me. commercials for antidepressants often list loss of interest in hobbies as a symptom of clinical depression, so it seems like getting a depressed person to focus on something that is mentally engaging, but not irritatingly so, would alleviate those symptoms somewhat.

Oh man, infinity wins this week! I was just on my way in to start up this thread.

Totally agree regarding your statement about games/depression. A lot of the current positive psychology movement is discovering that happiness increases when we are faced with obstacles that we choose ourselves that we have a reasonable chance of overcoming. That's pretty much the definition of casual gaming right there!

Also, I would rename it to Hard Corps: Unreasonable Difficulty Curve To Add Length To A Game Whose Gameplay Doesn't Justify A $15 Purchase Without It.

I was about to say that I don't think they could fit that on the box, but then I remembered that it's XBLA so there isn't a physical box, but THEN I remembered that they still make box art so people can see what you're playing on XBL. I'd name it Hard Corps: Sproc Drah; We Named it that Just so it Could be a Palindrome, Wait, Crap, this Sub-Subtitle Ruined That.

[Level 2: Human] Press X to Smack my Bitch Up's Avatar
    "People are not drinking the semen koolaid" - Sean Carey.
    HAS to be the top google search result for both Koolaid and sean carey. And Scarey! Someone make it happen?

Dex:
    Please drop the sound volume on the intro song (and possibly the outro song -- I'm mid stream so I don't recall if the outro is loud too)
    Also, boardgame (Memoir 44) sounds fun. Speaking of boardgames, just heard the Gamers With Jobs podcast episode nearly entirely about boardgames and what I think they called "smelly hippy RPGs" and thought it sounded awesome, but I don't have the means to make those experiences happen (never made it to PAX and not with the dosh enough to make that dream a reality -- among many other failed aspirations).

Also, on a show-notes note:
    Someone tryed to muscle an alliterative phrase in there, it seems as "we essentially effected Firefly" is one of those common mistakes that even good spellers make (the ones who've at least graduated from messing up on "there, their and they're"). I think the one you needed there was "affected". I could go into detail, but I'll stop at half-douche and not crank it up to fingers-out douche. I hope that would be most Dracula of me.

Guy who isn't Sean or Dex, so I'd assume it's Jordan Devore:
    Yes, I've played Desktop Dungeons. I had it on my desktop and then heard... uh the Indie Games podcast.. I think? I believe it has Derek Yu on it (or another Asian guy -- /racism) but they talked about it and it sounded good. Yes, it is hard, but it is more accessible (intentionally so) than any other roguelike (yes, it's a roguelike) and you can finish a game in 30 min unlike most others. Almost all roguelikes are difficult. Bringing it back to the Derek Yu reference, Spelunky gets a roguelike identifier even though it ain't because of that difficulty coupled with the seeded (not random!) environment generation (colloquially, "random dungeons"). Also, Spelunky is awesome and I can't beat it just like I suck at Megaman (or don't enjoy failing for the purpose of learning patterns to eventually reach satisfaction) and Contra and Metal Slug..., Ghosts n Goblins, etc. Even so, I love it.

I'm about halfway through and I can already comment this much. Well done on the variety of topics / quality of jokes! Can't wait for the techno remix.

EDIT: Oh, and please pimp my blog post if you guys enjoy it. Haven't been able to get any hits and my main blog page is broken. Also, isn't really clear how to get ahold of a webmaster on this here giant robot site, if one excuse was not enough.

EDIT 2: Nevermind. Link doesn't work either. So.. Zero Cool, eh? How about those guys?
    Last edited by Press X to Smack my Bitch Up; 02-25-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Extra Extra, English critic makes English gaffe! Read all about it in post history

7. 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM

@Press X -- Not sure where you live, but most good comic book stores also sell "smelly hippy RPG" stuff on the side, and many of them have board game / D&D / Magic the Gathering nights where you can go to get your tabletop gaming on and meet some folks, if you have interest. Do they have comic shops inside an enigma machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Press X to Smack my Bitch Up View Post
    Also, on a show-notes note:
    Someone tryed to muscle an alliterative phrase in there, it seems as "we essentially effected Firefly" is one of those common mistakes that even good spellers make (the ones who've at least graduated from messing up on "there, their and they're"). I think the one you needed there was "affected". I could go into detail, but I'll stop at half-douche and not crank it up to fingers-out douche. I hope that would be most Dracula of me.
    Merriam-Webster tells me that "effect" as a verb means "to cause to come into being" or "to bring about often by surmounting obstacles." When I wrote that we "essentially effected Firefly coming back to TV," I meant just that. We caused it to happen. To say that we merely "affected" it would imply that it wasn't entirely because of us that it happened.

In other words, please go into detail, as I don't believe I am incorrect, but could potentially be convinced otherwise if you make a good enough argument.

As far as the volume goes, I can do that.

[Level 2: Human] Press X to Smack my Bitch Up's Avatar
    Yeah, I spose if "effecting change" is a phrase-thing now, then even Miriam Webster can effectively be wrong. Also, friending. Tweens?
    Could be wrong though. Redundancy is rampant in our language. And I even don't have the definition for a word as common as intrepid etched in my noggin yet.

@Sean:
    Yeah, my particular northern, coastal enigma machine likely has around 2.5 hobby shops. I'll check into that.