Page 57 of 82 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1634

Thread: The Unofficial Doctor Who Thread

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    It made no sense, really. You have a factory in a town and year where air pollution was downright terrible, so really all Mrs. Gillyflower needed to do is pump the vapours out of the chimney stacks and cause it to rain. Instead, she builds a rocket (how?) and fires it into the air. HUH?!

It looked wonderful, probably because I was still coming off the BioShock Infinite kick, but goddamn, there was some daft Bond villiany going on at the end and the plan was badly told (preserve "perfect" people, but poison the rest, then...er...unfreeze perfect people and explain what happened...I guess).

Very much style over substance. I was hoping The Doctor was going to be stuck like that for a while, but no, two scenes in and he waves his magic wand and ta-da! Same goes for Clara. Speaking of which, why the hell would she give into two snotty kids' demands? "We're going to tell dad you're a time traveller!" Who the hell is going to believe them when Photoshop exists?!
    Last edited by Stevil; 05-05-2013 at 11:37 AM.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I enjoyed it, very well paced but you're right, they don't explain how they managed to gain the technology they had. I hated the ending, I was wondering how they were going to ruin it and they didn't disappoint.

Admin / Midget King
    Answer: Because it looked cool.

Seriously, why is everyone expecting Doctor Who to run on realistic science or to be remotely plausible? It's a sci-fi adventure show geared towards kids. It involves an immortal alien running around waving a magic wand and explaining away everything with rapid fire technobabble. It's supposed to be silly fun, not hard science fiction.

Nothing should ever be aimed at kids. They should all be locked in boxes until they are 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Very much style over substance. I was hoping The Doctor was going to be stuck like that for a while, but no, two scenes in and he waves his magic wand and ta-da! Same goes for Clara. Speaking of which, why the hell would she give into two snotty kids' demands? "We're going to tell dad you're a time traveller!" Who the hell is going to believe them when Photoshop exists?!
    Oh god, those kids at the end were terrible. Neither of them could act.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    Answer: Because it looked cool.

Seriously, why is everyone expecting Doctor Who to run on realistic science or to be remotely plausible? It's a sci-fi adventure show geared towards kids. It involves an immortal alien running around waving a magic wand and explaining away everything with rapid fire technobabble. It's supposed to be silly fun, not hard science fiction.
    Nothing wrong with being silly or goofy. The old stuff was just as silly, but at least it was well told silliness. Something like The Green Death was daft as hell, but everything slotted into the right place, with enough pace to breathe between the maggots and the crazy computer. Hell, he went up against Bertie Bassett rip-off in The Happiness Patrol!

Fact is, Doctor Who is fairly rushed, these days.

Look, they squandered a perfectly good setting with a perfectly interesting idea considering the time and place, but chose to go with a rocket ship for no reason other than The Doctor can stop a rocket, but not acid rain. Well, he stopped car exhausts once, so...you know...

Considering it's a teatime show, BBC are plugging it as family entertainment. The "aimed at kids" thing doesn't really fly considering the prime time slot. Sarah Jane Adventures was aimed at kids.

Yeah, actually, I do agree with the rushed feeling of the modern stuff. I can let most of it go and just enjoy the episodes generally, but I do wish they'd try harder to tell the stories better.

I enjoy it in general (loved the haunted house episode - it felt pretty Tom Baker-ish), and I'll watch it until it's cancelled again, but Series 7 has probably been my least fave since Series 3. I don't think it helps that they've been using the same pool of writers again and again. They really need to get some new blood in.

Series 5 had the right balance of psuedo-science and good old fashioned fun (as did Series 1 and 4), but damn, not even Moffat's been hyping up this run with Clara. He's been a bit silent for a showrunner. I've got the feeling that he's leaving once the 50th is done.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Holy fuck, where do they get these child actors!?

Admin / Midget King
    Moffat said a while ago he's dialing back on running his mouth on social media. Probably for the best.

Okay guys, I won't spoil anything. I just wanna ask if anyone here has watched the finale.

Have you guys watched the finale?

Just sitting down to watch it now.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisoak View Post
    Okay guys, I won't spoil anything. I just wanna ask if anyone here has watched the finale.

Have you guys watched the finale?
    Yes.

Nothing happened, until the last five minutes.

Seriously, nothing happened. Not in an understated kind of way, either.

But then those last five minutes. That was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    But then those last five minutes. That was pretty cool.
    Agreed. The last five minutes was definitely the pinnacle of the episode. That guy in the last five minutes made me interested on how they are gonna execute his story.

Oh, and what a waste of perfectly good enemies. The Whispermen turned out exactly like what they're called, just whispers. And the Great Intelligence? Not so great after all.

Yeah, and the secret about Clara... that was pretty boring :/

Quote Originally Posted by thisisoak View Post
    That guy
    'That guy'!? Please respect Mr. John Hurt.

I don't get why they used The Great Intelligence as the villain for this--I thought it was just some no-mark Christmas special monster. Surely a more substantial enemy with a bit of history could have been used for this.

The Master would have been perfect for this finale and have the ultimate send-off.

But no, Richard E. Grant gets screwed over again.

Yeah, he would have been perfect. The Master must be due for a return soon...

I called him 'that guy' so that no one would be spoiled, sorry.

The Valeyard would've also been a good choice for this episode. It's sad that they gave us that forgettable villain in the Christmas special instead. So much potential, this one has. I just hope that they don't screw over John Hurt.