Page 1 of 120 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Football/Soccer thread

[Level 6: Robot]

Official Football/Soccer thread

There are threads for College sports, but none for the biggest sporting event in the whole fucking world.

There have to be other people out there who care other than me, right?

Perhaps even someone else who is going to be in attendance?

The draw is in about eight hours. Get pumped.

Also, I'll be running a bracket contest with prizes straight out of South Africa, so keep your eyes open for that.

I enjoy watching it, but I've been playing for almost 16 years now, officiating for 9 and done a small amount of coaching and training. Somehow my family became obsessed and all 6 kids play so it's a big deal for us. I remember having parties at like 1 in the morning during the South Korea/Japan World Cup in 2002. I really appreciate good play, officiating and coaching, so the entire process intrigues me. Referee and Coach careers are broken against the World Cup all the time.

I plan on cheering for England, New Zealand, Australia and the good old USA of course.

The Young Brad Nicholson

Not a fan of soccer much other than the guy who yells GOAL!!!!, and Zidane or whoever that guy was who headbutted that other guy in the ribs. I think a good portion, if not most people, on here are from the USA and probably don't care to much about soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    I know enough about Soccer to pretty much hate the USA's team, and to especially hate the USA's Soccer League.
    It's growing. On the youth level Americans are as good as anyone in the world. That's not a joke either. There is just no intervening support structure between youth travel and the pro level. In other countries there are feeder teams and academies. We barely have a college level program, and because of this gap we lose the edge and return to mediocrity. It keeps on trucking though, it'll get there eventually. The games I refereed last spring were amazing. The quality of play in the younger children has gone up so phenomenally just since I was their age, it's incredible. I was watching 11 year-olds do things that people my age couldn't do years later. Same league, same level. We're getting better.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Screw the French and that dipshit ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    Screw the French and that dipshit ref.
    Yeah. His important international level career is over. Guaranteed. I really wanted Ireland in there too, they were definitely the better team. Plus, the French would then not be in.

[Level 5: Mech]
    My friend claims that his uncle owns a house near where the World Cup will be held, and is going to go stay there for the event. Since this friend is from Kenya (who decided a university in California was a good place to go to college) I believe him.

Also, everyone but USAians call it football. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by AfroWalrus; 12-04-2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: I am awesome.

The Young Brad Nicholson

We Americans know everyone else calls it football. We call it soccer because we are far superior to the rest of the world. Hence the reason we also refuse to use the metric system. Except for when we weigh drugs.

I have no problem switching over to calling it football, in particular because I am not a fan of the American version. I'm just assuming a larger American audience here. Hence my liberal use of soccer.

My friend claims that his uncle owns a house near where the World Cup will be held, and is going to go stay there for the event. Since this friend is from Kenya (who decided a university in California was a good place to go to college) I believe him.
    Well it's in cities all over the country so it could be in a few places.

Screw soccer. IT IS FOOTBALL. Anyways... Haven't kept track of what's going on for the 2010. Hell, ever since Newcastle United got relegated I haven't been following much football news.

Obviously though, when it comes around I'll watch it like everyone else. As to who I'll root for... I do not know yet. We'll see.

The Young Brad Nicholson

I just decided I actually do care about soccer and that's only because Green Street Hooligans was and awesome movie. If you haven't seen it see it now even if you hate soccer. Elijah Wood gets his ass kicked in it so that should be reason enough for you to watch that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by HerosPlayDumb View Post
    I just decided I actually do care about soccer and that's only because Green Street Hooligans was and awesome movie. If you haven't seen it see it now even if you hate soccer. Elijah Wood gets his ass kicked in it so that should be reason enough for you to watch that movie.
    Pretty much everything in that movie is completely out of whack with today in that English football fans haven't been since like that since like the 70's or something. I still thoroughly enjoyed it though.

Hell, ever since Newcastle United got relegated I haven't been following much football news.
    Sucks when your team gets relegated, but that's when they need your support the most mate!

Beard Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HerosPlayDumb View Post
    We Americans know everyone else calls it football. We call it soccer because we are far superior to the rest of the world. Hence the reason we also refuse to use the metric system. Except for when we weigh drugs.
    In Australia AFL, Rudby League and Rugby Union are all called football. Anyway, Australia are in the World Cup so people here will be interested in it. Scotland didn't qualify (again) so my interest went down a lot.

I'll watch any game that's on, but Italian football annoys me. It's technically and tactically the best in the world, but it's so focussed on defence that there's so many boring games.

The Young Brad Nicholson

Quote Originally Posted by CWal37 View Post
    Pretty much everything in that movie is completely out of whack with today in that English football fans haven't been since like that since like the 70's or something. I still thoroughly enjoyed it though.
    I was aware that it was definitely exaggerated, but it was definitely an awesome movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali D View Post
    In Australia AFL, Rudby League and Rugby Union are all called football. Anyway, Australia are in the World Cup so people here will be interested in it. Scotland didn't qualify (again) so my interest went down a lot.

I'll watch any game that's on, but Italian football annoys me. It's technically and tactically the best in the world, but it's so focussed on defence that there's so many boring games.
    I'm definitely interested in seeing how the socceroos end up doing.

Beard Master
    I'm definitely interested in seeing how the socceroos end up doing.
    Yeah, I'm wondering if they're gonna be in a the group with New Zealand. Shold be a laugh. The National team has gotten better here since they moved into the Asian Qualifiying group rather than Oceania. The domestic league here is still fairly weak though, and that's holding back some players from developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali D View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering if they're gonna be in a the group with New Zealand. Shold be a laugh. The National team has gotten better here since they moved into the Asian Qualifiying group rather than Oceania. The domestic league here is still fairly weak though, and that's holding back some players from developing.
    They can't be in the same group because they're in the same pot.

Pool 1
    Argentina
    Brazil
    England
    Germany
    Italy
    Netherlands
    South Africa
    Spain

Pool 2
    Australia
    Honduras
    Japan
    Mexico
    New Zealand
    North Korea
    South Korea
    United States

Pool 3
    Algeria
    Cameroon
    Chile
    Ghana
    Ivory Coast
    Nigeria
    Paraguay
    Uruguay

Pool 4
    Denmark
    France
    Greece
    Portugal
    Serbia
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Switzerland

To form the groups, one team gets drawn from each pot.

Sucks when your team gets relegated, but that's when they need your support the most mate!
    Agreed. Except I am almost half a world away from the UK, and if its not the EPL (which is an extremely big thing down here) they don't show it. The chances of me catching a Newcastle Championship match are extremely slim. Unless they have some sort of internet telecast thing going on.

Beard Master
    They can't be in the same group because they're in the same pot.

Pool 1
    Argentina
    Brazil
    England
    Germany
    Italy
    Netherlands
    South Africa
    Spain

Pool 2
    Australia
    Honduras
    Japan
    Mexico
    New Zealand
    North Korea
    South Korea
    United States

Pool 3
    Algeria
    Cameroon
    Chile
    Ghana
    Ivory Coast
    Nigeria
    Paraguay
    Uruguay

Pool 4
    Denmark
    France
    Greece
    Portugal
    Serbia
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Switzerland

To form the groups, one team gets drawn from each pot.
    Ah right. That's some fairly balanced groups, mainly for the 2nd places in the group. Aside from South Africa, you'd expect all the teams in Pot 1 to qualify.

Pool 1 is the seeded teams, the host automatically gets into that group.