Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Game modes that are neglected

[Level 2: Human]

Game modes that are neglected

Has anyone noticed that alot of games have game modes that no one plays?
    In Mw2 I tried to play third person cage match but everytime someone joins they quit during the match. In ODST, firefight is clearly neglected even though it deserves better. Anyone else have the same problem?

It's unfortunate, really. I can't speak for CoD:MW2 since I don't own it but I bet Firefight would do much better if there was Matchmaking for it...and if it didn't take freakin' 2+ hours to do. You've really got to have friends that play the game, which sucks.

When I was a kid nobody ever wanted to do the collaborative puzzles in The Incredible Machine with me.

The Young Brad Nicholson

Split screen is now largely neglected now due to online. LAN as well with some consoles games as well.

Halo 2 used to be big on the capture the flag, plant the bomb and other team-based modes but Halo 3 just seems to be all about the Team Slayer mode. I know it's all about killing each other in the end anyway but at least Halo 2 had a bit of strategy...

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    No one plays TC Hydro anymore in TF2 Mostly because it's always a stalemate but still ;3

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by HerosPlayDumb View Post
    Split screen is now largely neglected now due to online. LAN as well with some consoles games as well.
    But people from small country like us who can't join XBL or PSN are enjoying the split screen and LAN a lot though. Too bad some new PC games don't support LAN anymore and we will need a lot of TV for system links. I'm in the minority but we really had fun playing L4D & COD:WAW Nazi Zombies on split screen and system links.

I'm glad that I can play with A.I bots on Gears of War 2 & Skirmish mode on multiplayer with A.I on Brutal Legend ( Just found out that I can play with A.I on BL yesterday, lol )

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrium View Post
    It's unfortunate, really. I can't speak for CoD:MW2 since I don't own it but I bet Firefight would do much better if there was Matchmaking for it...and if it didn't take freakin' 2+ hours to do. You've really got to have friends that play the game, which sucks.
    This game NEEDS matchmaking, or at least a custom games lobby. The lack of either option is surprising considering Bungie's great track record with online capabilities.

This really bothers me. If an FPS has a co-op mode, it should have splitscreen. If it has competitive multiplayer, it should have LAN play.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Also, racing games. DirT 2 need splitscreen

Oddball in Halo 3. That got vetoed way too much, especially in Lone Wolve's higher levels. Once you got got high enough, the chance of people wanting anything but Slayer and Slayer BR's was really low. I fucking loved oddball, even though it often deteoriated into people rushing into a pile of bodies to grab the ball for 2 seconds then get killed.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterHead View Post
    Oddball in Halo 3. That got vetoed way too much, especially in Lone Wolve's higher levels. Once you got got high enough, the chance of people wanting anything but Slayer and Slayer BR's was really low. I fucking loved oddball, even though it often deteoriated into people rushing into a pile of bodies to grab the ball for 2 seconds then get killed.
    You can still play Oddball in Team Throwback, SWAT, Team Doubles, MLG, Rumble Pit, and Multi-team.

Quote Originally Posted by BadStar View Post
    You can still play Oddball in Team Throwback, SWAT, Team Doubles, MLG, Rumble Pit, and Multi-team.
    Yeah, I know, but back when I played Halo 3, it seemed like people hated it no matter what the playlist. Multi-team, you could get it sometimes, but I never really liked that playlist.

Rumble Pit used to be a relaxed playlist where you could play things like Oddball without a lot of stress and competetiveness, but then that damned invisible social rank started giving me nothing but brigs and generals.

Quote Originally Posted by Durga AI View Post
    Halo 2 used to be big on the capture the flag, plant the bomb and other team-based modes but Halo 3 just seems to be all about the Team Slayer mode. I know it's all about killing each other in the end anyway but at least Halo 2 had a bit of strategy...
    I used to travel all over the tri-state area to go to Halo1 tourneys. That was really the first and last days of console LAN as a major event.

16 people CTF in Sidewinder will never, EVER, be topped.

Jeff Goldblum
    Well most FPS really need an Assualt mode as it's the best Multiplayer moder ever.

The Young Brad Nicholson

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bloodspray View Post
    I used to travel all over the tri-state area to go to Halo1 tourneys. That was really the first and last days of console LAN as a major event.
    I never actually traveled for LAN tourneys, but me and my friends would have LAN parties at one of our friend's houses. Best thing ever. We would have like 30-50 kids all over this house and everyone would bring their own TV and Xbox. God I miss those days. We also used to LAN up for Diablo a lot but then just all started playing together on Battle.net even if we were in the same house.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I miss playing games in the same room with my friends. Sadly, not many games are as accessible to that anymore (coughStarCraft2cough).

Quote Originally Posted by JesterHead View Post
    Oddball in Halo 3. That got vetoed way too much, especially in Lone Wolve's higher levels.
    This. I was so looking forward to playing Oddball on Heretic, since it was my jam back on Midship on Halo 2. Vetoed every time. As for ODST's Firefight, it doesn't need matchmaking. If you don't have three friends willing to join you for some Firefight, get new friends.

Even though I never used it much personally, I concur that LAN match capability's been severely neglected, and deserves reintroduction because it's always been pretty popular. It's also nice for tournaments and lag seems to be hardly an issue at all.

The thing I really miss about big LAN matches were the story times afterwards. Everyone usually had a different viewpoint on some awesome situation that occurred and it was always fun to talk about it afterwards. My favorite multiplayer story ever is still a CTF match that we played on Blood Gulch, and I remember a game of Sidewinder CTF that went on so long we had to send runners between the rooms to negotiate a break. I love XBL, but sometimes I long for the days of hauling around a tv and Xbox.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    L4D's survival. For me there was no greater rush than holding off the horde on top of that defenceless lighthouse, but all people want to do is play that damned NM Generator room and camp in the corner.

LOL I personally don't play cooperative multiplayer.... and i don't know anyone that does :S