Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Destructoid have 5 Star Reviews?

[Level 4: Cyborg]

Should Destructoid have 5 Star Reviews?

Akin to Giant Bomb's reviews: http://www.giantbomb.com/

I personally just think it's a better scoring system (unless you have point 5 scores then it makes it just as bad)

I think having a star system would encourage more people to actually read reviews rather than just look at the score.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    What? Why would one scoring system be better than another? 'tards will rage no matter what the score is out of. Really, we should just rate games based on adjectives. Can't really rage over adjectives. Well... Durrr Halo 46 got an 'awesome' and Resistance 12 got a 'stellar' haw haw Xbots ima drink my own urine now. Guess you can.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Destructoid has a 5 point review score system, it's just twice as better.

Well, destructoid probably won't have any starred reviews any time soon, but if it's any consolation, you probably earn a lot of gold stars at your special school anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by g-off View Post
    Well, destructoid probably won't have any starred reviews any time soon, but if it's any consolation, you probably earn a lot of gold stars at your special school anyway.
    You need to learn to troll more betterly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
    What? Why would one scoring system be better than another? 'tards will rage no matter what the score is out of. Really, we should just rate games based on adjectives. Can't really rage over adjectives. Well... Durrr Halo 46 got an 'awesome' and Resistance 12 got a 'stellar' haw haw Xbots ima drink my own urine now. Guess you can.
    Adjective rating system sounds good.
    Poor - Alright - Good - Great - Amazing

Although that's essentially what a star rating system is.

If it bleeds, He can kill it
    Well there is already PASS RENT BUY down at the bottom of thee review, right?

Wow, this thread is progressing exactly as I thought it would! ...shitly.

Loves you
    I've always hated point/star based rating systems myself. If I ever had to use a rating for a game, I would just use a grading system from like A+ to F.

[Level 5: Mech]
    What's wrong with Destructoid's 10-point scale?? I think we should be complaining about other sites' 7-to-10 point system. I mean how is 6 considered bad and 7 the average grade?? Shouldn't 5 be the average?? They're basically marking like it's a letter grade, like the one MrSadistic said. Actually, that's probably my favourite system too.

I think people need to stop treating games as if they were their mothers.

I always read Dtoid's reviews. ( just look at the numbers on IGN though, their writers are boring.

I do like th ABC grading as well, because then everybody knows a C is a good/average game. And for some reason it seems more appropriate than a number. Shame 1UP is about the only site uses ABC scores.

You know, I have an idea for a system. It's called Read The Fucking Review. (tm) The idea is that instead of reading arbitrary review scores, you actually just read all or part of the review, (perhaps the conclusion, where the reviewer summarizes his thoughts,) to get an idea of what the writer actually thinks of the game. Of course, this isn't perfect. It would deny ease of use to fanboys who would actually have to infer what the writer thought of the game from his writing instead of immediately jumping down his throat for giving it a smaller or larger arbitrary number than another game the fanboy hates/likes.

Yeah, I guess that's too big of a sacrifice. I suppose RTFR will just have to stay a pipe dream.

FKA The Mad March Harris
    Like most people, I don't read the reviews. I look at the score out of some kind of perverted curiosity and then don't comment and forget about the score in a few hours. I really don't give a shit since a good chunk of the games aren't ones I'm interested in, and the ones that I am interested in I've already done enough research to know whether I want to buy it or not. People that are really savvy about any sort of hobby don't need to be told by people that are equally or less knowledgeable than themselves about said hobby. Unless a review points out glitches and broken controls I'm fully capable of finding out everything I need to know about the game on my own.

I like the way Play magazine does reviews personally. They don't have any numbers or grades, they just say what they think about it with a brief summary at the end called a parting shot.

[Level 12: CHET]
    Changing the whole review system to 5 points really wouldn't do anything. The reviews would still be great quality and people would continue to bitch about the numbers.

I only look at number scores when it's a game a don't give a shit about. When I'm actually considering buying it or have already bought it I disregard the number score and read the actual review.

I think the 10 point scale is the best out of most the ideas I've seen here. Ideally, there should be a 0-100 scale.

A+ to F is horrible because an F should mean a 59 but you scale it down to a 0 so a A- game gets the equivilent of around 80-85.

Star-scale is just not exact enough. And what does 1 star equal? 0? 0, 25, 50, 75, 100? Not good.

Every review gets converted into the 0-100 scale on metacritic, so it's best if the reviewers/periodical leaves less to confusion/interpretation.

I'd actually like to see Destructoid review more crap games. Mainly to give people a sense of scale; they may not like a dissappointing AAA title, but compared to some of the utter shit out there, then it's not a bad game.

There's a difference between under-whelming and bad. There's a difference between average and shitty. I think we need to remember that sometimes. I've played some terrible games in my time, and none of them were the usual ones that get bandied about.

I think they said before they barely have enough people to put out the reviews they got already.

At least they're not prone to be bought out yet.

I miss the old EGM reviews where at the end, they'd have an aggregate score for the 4 reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by dwolfwood View Post
    I think the 10 point scale is the best out of most the ideas I've seen here. Ideally, there should be a 0-100 scale.

A+ to F is horrible because an F should mean a 59 but you scale it down to a 0 so a A- game gets the equivilent of around 80-85.

Star-scale is just not exact enough. And what does 1 star equal? 0? 0, 25, 50, 75, 100? Not good.

Every review gets converted into the 0-100 scale on metacritic, so it's best if the reviewers/periodical leaves less to confusion/interpretation.
    I think people like the A+ to F thing because it's a scale that is so prevalent in other things that the stigmas associated with certain scores are pretty much universal. It helps to show that someone really thought this was failing or this was average. Whereas if you use a 1-10 or even 1-100 people tend to end up clumping things mostly in the top third and almost entirely in the top half, and the scores lose whatever power you thought they had in reference to that scale. Basically it seems like people are less afraid to use the entirety of a letter scale, or at least it's ingrained in them so much that they do it anyways.

I use a 1-200 scale myself. The top scores are never reached because perfection is impossible.