Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't even know anymore.

Pwnd

I don't even know anymore.

I believe that the best way to enjoy a video game is to fully immerse yourself in it. For most people this entails dimming the lights and turning on the surround sound - and that's great, but for me it's not enough.

Basically, i dress up as the character i am assuming the role of in a video game. Some people think of it as weird, but really it's the next logical step up from surround sound and lowlighting.

I noticed that a side effect of this, above and beyond the added enjoyment it brings to games, is that it actually makes me a better player.

When i'm dressed as my character, my reflexes are that little bit quicker. It's as if i actually am the person, so in many cases i'm literally fighting for my life. That's bound to have some kind of affect on performance.

I first noticed this when trying to unlock the "Big Baller" achievement on CoD:World at War. I was struggling with it. But one day the opportunity to purchase a replica SS officer jacket came up (i think they look stylish, so was looking to buy one anyway), i took it, and decided to put it the next time i played Nazi Zombies.

Low and behold i got the 75,000 points required and the achievement was mine.

Since then i have created outfits to wear whilst playing Modern Warfare and World at War (among other games) - and have noticed a significant increase in my ingame statistics since i started this.

I am looking to conclusively prove the benefits of dressing up while playing. Any ideas on how i could go about doing this, scientifically?

I think the only legal way to do this experiment would involve monkeys. LOTS of monkeys.

Pwnd
    I'd rather not receive any death threats or have my house set on fire by animal rights activists, so testing on monkeys is out. Do they even have opposable thumbs yet anyway?

I was thinking that i'd hire ten people, of varying ability, to play a couple of games in their regular clothes. Record the results. Then do the same with them dressing like their ingame character.

I've never really worked with the scientific method before, though. I find it too restrictive. I thought that maybe there would be a sciency type that is also into games that could give me some pointers.

I'm confident that i could revolutionise the way games are played with this.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I don't know, I usually take my pants off and I'm good.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    This is why I don't read the "Gaming Discussion" Forums... thanks dig.

Pwnd
    Did i post this in the wrong forum or something? If so i'm sorry.

I also understand that this idea is maybe a little... eccentric. I posted about it on a different forum and was "flamed" (is that the right word) rather severely.

But that is the only criticism you can make against it. I have data proving that in my case at least, it works. So it is certainly not stupid.

It improved my gaming experience and made me a better player, and i want to share it with the world.

[Level 5: Mech]

I'm all up for cosplay, but cosplaying the characters as you're playing the game is a helluva lot of work. Takes me months to get off my arse and get a cosplay together, doing so specifically to play a game in would be nigh impossible for this lazy bugger.

Pwnd
    I suppose i'm quite lucky, in that i'm not really into Japanese roleplaying games. The Call of Duty series is pretty easy to dress to. The other game i play a lot is Quantum of Solace, and i kind of dress like Bond anyway.

The costume that took the most effort to put together was my interpretation of the Scorpion medium armour from Mass Effect. I'm fortunate to have several friends that are studying fashion at university. They've helped me out a lot with it.

It is a lot of work, but i think it's well worth it. Like i say, it's the next logical step up from HD and surround sound.

I play Alien VS Predator. (i think im getting obsessive. I should play B:AA or Fallout 3 for a while) Anyway, i dont think dressing up as a Drone would work out, considering the 4 fingers thing. Also, they are the only game characters i will cos as.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by statesman1114 View Post
    I play Alien VS Predator. (i think im getting obsessive. I should play B:AA or Fallout 3 for a while) Anyway, i dont think dressing up as a Drone would work out, considering the 4 fingers thing. Also, they are the only game characters i will cos as.
    I haven't played that, and don't think that i'd ever be prepared to dress as an animal.

Just to reiterate, i don't dress up for every game. If the protagonist is a woman, i certainly wont crossdress or anything like that... and i don't play Banjo Kazooie dressed as a bear. I'm not a weirdo or anything.

There are just certain games that i want to be fully immersed in. It makes the whole experience that much better... and if the sudden surge in my kills to deaths ratio is anything to go by (and it is - i've made a chart) it makes me play better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin Seleznyo View Post
    I haven't played that, and don't think that i'd ever be prepared to dress as an animal.
    Thanks for making me feel like a furry. So how does this work, do i have to tie the cat up first, or what?

Pwnd
    Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad.

It's just that some characters are so far removed from me that no amount of dressing up will allow me to feel immersed in their world. Be it because the playable character is a woman, an animal, non Caucasian or bald.

I'm not sure what your cat has to do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin Seleznyo View Post
    I'm not sure what your cat has to do with this?
    I'm... crazy? Why has nobody gotten that yet?

Pwnd
    Ah, i only started posting here today so i don't really know anybody yet. I will make a mental note that you are crazy though. =)

[Level 4: Cyborg]

Get the fuck out.

No, but seriously? GTFO of here with that dress up shit.

[Level 5: Mech]
    THE COSBY EXPERIMENT LOLOLLOLO

seriously though what the fuck is this I don't know please stop.

Quote Originally Posted by blehman View Post
    No, but seriously? GTFO of here with that dress up shit.
    Really, guys? What's the problem with cosplay?

I don't think there's any way to prove that it makes you better at a game (I know it wouldn't for me), but I absolutely cannot understand why people have a problem with cosplay in general.

[Level 2: Human]

ARGYLE SWEATERS BITCHES!!

You are kind of a twat. You should dress up like my foot up your ass, because I totally want to stick my foot up your ass.

Lose the mascara, or go back to playing bass for 30 seconds to mars.

Thx and thank you for shopping at HEB.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomile View Post
    Really, guys? What's the problem with cosplay?

I don't think there's any way to prove that it makes you better at a game (I know it wouldn't for me), but I absolutely cannot understand why people have a problem with cosplay in general.
    Cosplay is fine, in it's own retarded sort of way, unless you're a chick, of course, but dressing up to better yourself at vidja games? Yeah. No.