Page 123 of 145 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 133 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2886

Thread: The Dtoid Comic Book Thread

Pwnd
    I wonder if The Shadow has a comic, or when his last printed incarnation was. Always have liked him.

And he even met Batman once!

His "inspiration", in Batman's own words. Click image for link to blog. It's interesting stuff if you're into it.
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 01-19-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: chose clip with better intro, also starts a playlist

[Level 4: Cyborg] IsolateMutate's Avatar
    THAT ONE PLACE IN SCANDINAVIA NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT
    A couple of issues into Y: The Last Man, it's pretty good so far. I can't help but feel like the villains are like zealous tumblr feminists.

Frodo Bangins
    haha, pretty much.
    also theres a new Dynamite book called Masks leggy that has the shadow in it.

Pwnd
    Awesome! Thanks Sam. I thought I had heard about a new one but wasn't sure.

Anybody know anything about Aliens comics? I just got finished reading Nightmare Asylum and could do with some suggestions for other good ones.

Frodo Bangins
    There's an awesome collection of them that came out recently. Ill let you know about it Tuesday.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    Anybody know anything about Aliens comics? I just got finished reading Nightmare Asylum and could do with some suggestions for other good ones.
    Ahem...What do you need to know?

I pretty much collected them (and the Predator ones) when they were first published. I don't know what happened to my original printings of Book 1 and Book 2, though. They're probably worth a bit now. Anyway, Nightmare Asylum was a re-print of Book 2 - where pre-Alien 3, Billie and Wilks were, as you've probably sussed, Newt and Hicks. It was the second part of a trilogy - Book 1, 2 and Earth War.

Book 1/Earth Hive was solid, Asylum had the best art for me, and Earth War/The Female War was ugly as hell and the plot was a bit daft with Ripley going to get the Queen Mother, so they could take it back to Earth and then use it as bait for a giant nuke. Yeeeeeah...

After that, the comics sort of contradicted each other and went into bizarre comic book territory. If you want a continuation of the trilogy, go for Genocide and Hive/Harvest (whatever they renamed it). Mike Mignola also did the excellent Salvation one-off and the shorter stuff was great fun.

I'm pretty sure the Omnibus collections have them all in chronological order, but the quality slides off the map after Labyrinth. Dark Horse has never really put out a decent Aliens comic since the 90's.

Alien vs Predator was awesome, but the sequels weren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gobbldigook View Post
    There's an awesome collection of them that came out recently. Ill let you know about it Tuesday.
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Ahem...What do you need to know?

I pretty much collected them (and the Predator ones) when they were first published. I don't know what happened to my original printings of Book 1 and Book 2, though. They're probably worth a bit now. Anyway, Nightmare Asylum was a re-print of Book 2 - where pre-Alien 3, Billie and Wilks were, as you've probably sussed, Newt and Hicks. It was the second part of a trilogy - Book 1, 2 and Earth War.

Book 1/Earth Hive was solid, Asylum had the best art for me, and Earth War/The Female War was ugly as hell and the plot was a bit daft with Ripley going to get the Queen Mother, so they could take it back to Earth and then use it as bait for a giant nuke. Yeeeeeah...

After that, the comics sort of contradicted each other and went into bizarre comic book territory. If you want a continuation of the trilogy, go for Genocide and Hive/Harvest (whatever they renamed it). Mike Mignola also did the excellent Salvation one-off and the shorter stuff was great fun.

I'm pretty sure the Omnibus collections have them all in chronological order, but the quality slides off the map after Labyrinth. Dark Horse has never really put out a decent Aliens comic since the 90's.

Alien vs Predator was awesome, but the sequels weren't great.
    Basically I'm looking for anything similar to Nightmare Asylum in terms of art style and maybe story quality - it's mostly something with a similarly dark art-style I'm looking for.

And I'd appreciate AvP suggestions aswell, if any of those are any good.

Yeah, you won't find anything as good looking as Book 2.

But I really liked the look of Genocide (even if it looks its age now) and I liked the story - Wealthy businessman goes to a hive planet to get royal jelly, with an entire army in tow, only to find that the aliens have divided themselves bewteen red and black colours and have started a war with each other.

Labyrinth had some wonderful details, too. It's utterly disturbing when it wants to be and the story ain't half bad.

I'll be honest, a ton of these comics are basically this: man tries to fuck around with the aliens and everyone ends up getting buggered in the process. That's pretty much it. You get the familiar motely crew getting bumped off time and again, and in the end, the moral of the story is...man is a dick.

Also, Batman vs Predator is a thing that happened...and you know, it was pretty good, actually.

That's a shame. I guess I'll just give a few of the comics a go or get one of the omnibus' and try to find something I like in terms of story. That and I'm looking into the artists who did Nightmare Asylum to see if they painted any other comics worth reading.

I actually read a bit of Batman Vs Predator when I was younger, seemed pretty awesome. They definitely do some weird mashups.

Frodo Bangins

Some awesome shit is out this week, all this, the Finale of Stumptown's second arc, and a new issue of Chew... I'm a happy guy. You are the first ones I'm linking this to. it doesnt have the right title or description yet, that'll be there in the morning. Enjoy for now.

Finished Y: The Last Man, definitely worth my time. I could sing a million different praises, but instead I'll just be a nitpicky bastard and add this:

Frodo Bangins
    yeah, it wasn't ended well... but the ride was awesome.

You could tell they were pretty much done with Y: The Last Man, long before it wrapped up. The pacing goes from a crawl to ridiculously fast and has that "final issue explains enough and that's your lot" ending.

I agree. I don't think the ending was bad, though (I mean the actual last events that take place after the main plot ends). Some things were poorly explained and there were concepts that were started and never fully explored (also known as everything that had to do with Beth ever). Overall I still loved it, though. It never really felt "bad" to me, just a little rushed towards the end.

Still responds to BLOO
    Well fuck looks like Young Justice(The TV Show) is going to be axed.

Frodo Bangins
    Finally starting to read Sandman... I think Sam Keith has something seriously wrong with him... and I love every second of it.

Pwnd
    Just finished watching part two of The Dark Knight Returns and it was far better than expected.

I was apprehensive about seeing another of my beloved childhood stories translated into a faster, brighter medium after the mindlessly stylized violence of Snyder's Watchmen. Not only did the makers of this film not lose any of the source material's meaning, they even seemed to improve on it in a few areas, with their skillful editing of the script to fit motion picture rather than the printed page. There were a few times where they changed minor details, ones that only an obsessive fanboy would notice, but even then it worked better than a more literal interpretation would have. Once or twice they even did the Christopher Nolan thing where they'd make you think they got something wrong, only to show you what you had been expecting to see a few seconds later. There were just so many little moments there that may have slipped my notice when reading, or maybe they were slightly changed for the film -- and those differences are so subtle that you almost have to look at the comic as you're watching to even see them.

Overall I think the comic makes sense to me in a way it didn't before, and that's the highest praise any adaptation can be given.

Still responds to BLOO
    How did they handle nazi tits

Pwnd
    That was one of the things I thought they got wrong...it's pretty awesome how the scene plays out though. She/he/wtf Bruno was to begin with, the animated version is almost exactly the same as far as character design, with the swastika boobs and all that. She looks like more of a she in the film though. Not sure if it was intentional or just a difference in artists but to me the gender seemed much more ambiguous in the original.