Page 122 of 145 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 132 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2886

Thread: The Dtoid Comic Book Thread

[Level 5: Mech]
    I just finished watching Batman Year 1 on Neflix. It's a really great adaptation from the comic. Really good for only being like an hour long. The funny thing I thought about though was in Bruce's Origin story again, and you see his parents killed, and I was thinking "man how many times now have I seen Bruce Wayne's parents gunned down?"

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    As many as you have to, because we need to reminded why batman is what he is every godamn year

Part 2 of the Dark Knight Returns is coming this year, I'll wait and watch the two parts, haven't read them in a while, also I should watch Year One as well at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardKing View Post
    As many as you have to, because we need to reminded why batman is what he is every godamn year

Part 2 of the Dark Knight Returns is coming this year, I'll wait and watch the two parts, haven't read them in a while, also I should watch Year One as well at the same time

Just once I would like to see Batman talking about how his parents were killed and whatever and have like Martian Man Hunter be "Yeah lost my entire family and species...."

That would be cool, but that's not batman, at least not in front of a crowd, if it was just Martian Man HUnter and Batman I could see that happening, that would be fun

5. 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Still responds to BLOO
    Yoooo I just found about the webcomic, JL8.

It's cutesy and shit, but there's some funny moments and some down right sad ones.

#26 man :/

There's like 100 entries of it already, so I'm burning through them right now from the beginning. Here's the link: http://www.limbero.org/jl8/1

Pwnd
    Haha yeah JL8 is great.

As far as the other Batman posts, the fascination with trauma came about from being so caught up in the darker aspects of the Batman mythos. I can remember when it started with The Dark Knight Returns, back in the eighties. It was a major success, still is, and people have been returning to its themes ever since. This is somewhat unfortunate because TDKR was the turning point which redefined Batman as nothing more than a "dark knight". As if his only purpose were to be some pagan sin-eater who would carry the self-destructive pessimism of society away on his back. This was exemplified even in the ending of the eponymous film, in which Batman flees the police as he willingly accepts the blame for the actions of a corrupt politician.

But to me that's not what Batman is about. To me he takes his own darkness and puts it to good use rather than becoming the victim of someone else's. Plus he's the smartest person who ever lived and he's the best at everything. Yay Batman.

Heh that JL8 looks fun, have to read it sometime.

Man this week is full of good comics

Still responds to BLOO
    Okay, JL8 #97 has fucking BTAS reference.

This webcomic is alright.

JL8 is awesome!

On other news, I just finished watching Batman The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 and I highly recommend it, it's awesome! You see Bruce as an old guy, and Batman has disappeared for 10 years.
    @Space man spiff you'll enjoy this one a lot, it's an ending story for Batman as much as Year One was a beginning, it was written by the same god Frank Miller

Pwnd
    JL8 is awesome!

On other news, I just finished watching Batman The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 and I highly recommend it, it's awesome! You see Bruce as an old guy, and Batman has disappeared for 10 years.
    @Space man spiff you'll enjoy this one a lot, it's an ending story for Batman as much as Year One was a beginning, it was written by the same god Frank Miller
    I didn't realize part 2 was out yet. Really looking forward to seeing how they do the Superman parts.

JL8 is awesome!

Awesome ill check it out!

[Level 12: CHET]
    Giving new rebooted Supergirl a go thanks to my local library, the don't have much but not bad for the size of the place.

Not sure if the rebooted Supergirl is any good really

[Level 4: Cyborg] IsolateMutate's Avatar
    THAT ONE PLACE IN SCANDINAVIA NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT
    Soup.

I'm up till Batman (New 52) #13, and I'm really liking it so far. Not sure if any more issues are out.
    I tried reading Avengers academy, but somewhere around issue #12 or something I concluded that it was absolutely abysmal.
    I'm on issue #10 of Swamp Thing, and I guess that's pretty interesting. I mean, it's pretty and the story is interesting enough, so it's keeping my attention.

That all being said, does anyone have any recommendations based on this tiny list of comics I've enjoyed? I've considered checking out Astonishing X-Men because Joss Whedon, but that's really all I've thought about.

Still responds to BLOO
    Scott Synder is a pretty decent writer. Court of Owls was bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by IsolateMutate View Post
    Soup.

I'm up till Batman (New 52) #13, and I'm really liking it so far. Not sure if any more issues are out.
    I tried reading Avengers academy, but somewhere around issue #12 or something I concluded that it was absolutely abysmal.
    I'm on issue #10 of Swamp Thing, and I guess that's pretty interesting. I mean, it's pretty and the story is interesting enough, so it's keeping my attention.

That all being said, does anyone have any recommendations based on this tiny list of comics I've enjoyed? I've considered checking out Astonishing X-Men because Joss Whedon, but that's really all I've thought about.
    Batman is up to issue 15 already, issue 16 will come out this month
    If you are liking Swamp Thing, try Animal Man, they are tied together and I like Animal Man a lot more than Swamp Thing.

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon is definitely a really good comic and a good read. Avengers
    Academy is a good series at some points, it's not always good, it may be a bit jarring, there are better series out there.

What would you be more interested in reading about? Super Hero or non-Super Hero?
    Have you ever had any experience reading comics, or are those just the comics that you've read so far?

PS: This is awesome
    Last edited by lizzardpt; 01-15-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Prevented double post

[Level 4: Cyborg] IsolateMutate's Avatar
    THAT ONE PLACE IN SCANDINAVIA NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT
    What would you be more interested in reading about? Super Hero or non-Super Hero?
    Have you ever had any experience reading comics, or are those just the comics that you've read so far?
    I was actually considering reading some of the Walking Dead series considering the good rep it has, and that's obviously not a super hero comic book - so yeah, non-super hero recommendations are cool, too.

I've read a lot of manga, but aside from that, the ones I listed (And some Justice Leage as well as some other miscalleneous New 52 stuff) are my only experience with comics. As mentioned earlier, the Court of Owls storyline in Batman was pretty kickass, and that whole mystery kinda storyline was really appealing to me.

Soooo in conclusion, I guess I'm looking for something interesting and something that may or may not have a hint of mystery to it.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    Last edited by IsolateMutate; 01-16-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: dicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Garfria View Post
    Scott Synder is a pretty decent writer. Court of Owls was bad ass.
    The Black Mirror is fantastic.

Frodo Bangins
    PS: This is awesome
    Yes... James Stokoe is a god...

Frodo Bangins
    Quote Originally Posted by IsolateMutate View Post
    I was actually considering reading some of the Walking Dead series considering the good rep it has, and that's obviously not a super hero comic book - so yeah, non-super hero recommendations are cool, too.

I've read a lot of manga, but aside from that, the ones I listed (And some Justice Leage as well as some other miscalleneous New 52 stuff) are my only experience with comics. As mentioned earlier, the Court of Owls storyline in Batman was pretty kickass, and that whole mystery kinda storyline was really appealing to me.

Soooo in conclusion, I guess I'm looking for something interesting and something that may or may not have a hint of mystery to it.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    for non superhero stuff what I started with was Y the last man, and walking dead... but those are super mainstream easy to get into books, if you want to really experience some cool stuff read invisibles, also what Ive heard about scalped that's pretty great too... not surprising. jason Aaron is pretty awesome, he's killing it on the new thor book (I always hated Thor).

If you want to slowly get into superhero stuff check out the new Hawkeye book, its basically about hawkeye (another stupid character) when he's not out being an avenger. Thor god of thunder is also pretty good too, it's more of a detective story.