Page 1 of 143 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dtoid Comic Book Thread

[Level 4: Cyborg]

The Dtoid Comic Book Thread

OK, well, I searched the forums and honestly couldn't find an actual comic book thread, just tons of threads with bits of comic book discussion scattered throughout. So, I figured I would be the one to make it since we obviously need a comic book thread being the ABSOLUTELY AMAZING lot that we are. If, by some chance I did miss the comic thread please point it out to me.

Anyways, basically we'll just discuss this weeks comic releases. As well as the major events and possible occurrences that could happen.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD.

Also. . .

NO DISCRIMINATING.

We're all comic book fans here, and whether it be DC or Marvel, it doesn't matter. No idiotic statements of superiority. Just wanted to get that out there. Now since I've been wanting to get it off my chest right now. . .

Blackest Night is fucking incredible. I am really loving what Geoff Johns is doing with this event and it's bringing back an asston of memories for me. I'm loving the tie-ins too. Especially this weeks Blackest Night: Superman. It was WAY cool to see the crazy ass multicolored Kal-El as his mind was racing with damn never every emotion on the spectrum. However, a few things are bugging me a bit. In Blackest Night #2, Don Hall is unable to be resurrected by a Black Lantern ring because he is at peace. Wouldn't some of these other heroes be at peace as well? Namely Kal-L of Earth-2? After his beating at the hands of Superboy-Prime in Infinite Crisis, he died, but was happy about it because he could see Lois again, at which point they appeared happy amongst the stars? How is it they're both able to be resurrected by Black Lantern rings? It just irks me a bit. . .

Also, did anyone catch Ultimate Spider-Man #1? I'm usually a DC guy but as soon as I started reading that book I couldn't put it down. It's already amongst my monthly pulls now. The art is SO amazing in it, but I guess it's really personal preference since I know people who dislike the style it has to it. I'm definitely thinking this is way awesome so far though. Can't wait for the next issue.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I have 2 comics in my house. Both X-men.

One of these involves a man beating his wife while the kids are sitting in the corner watching him, sobbing. Wolverine tries to kill him and the wife pulls him of because she's a fucktard. Then they walk away calling the X-Men freaks. Pretty thrilling stuff.

I've always wanted to read the Alein, Predator and AcP comics, I hear they're awesome.

Now that 100 Bullets has finished up, there's not much I'm reading on a regular basis. I tend to buy more trade paperbacks than weekly issues, so I can wait a bit for something new. I'll always buy anything by Garth Ennis or Warren Ellis, so The Boys is probably the only thing I regularly buy right now.

Wish Warren Ellis would stick to a title until it's completion. Still waiting for Volume 2 of Fell, Desolation Jones, New Universal and the finale to Planetary.

[Level 6: Robot]
    A place near Glasgow you've never heard of, Scotland
    Do you know what, I was thinking that there should be a comics thread. but assumed there already was one and didn't bother.

Ali D i'm with you. Planertary has taken 10 years to fucking finish! lol
    Can't fucking wait for issue 27. I actually only read Planetary a couple of weeks ago, and its now one of my favourite series ever!

Quote Originally Posted by JLanphear View Post
    Also, did anyone catch Ultimate Spider-Man #1?
    I did and i totally agree with you. It was really amazing. It would go on my pull list if I money was no object. It really pulled me in. and the ultimate Gwen Stacy is kinda hot :-s

Last night i read the first two books of Jeff Lemire's Essex county trilogy. It made me cry. He's such and amazing artist and writer he really tugs on your heart strings and makes you feel for the character.

Also I finally finished my copy of Powers: Definitive edition volume 2. FUCK ME! That's a good book. If you've never read it i highly recommend picking up the first trade, Who killed Retro Girl.
    Essentially what it is is a detective drama with superheroes.

Erm, got round to reading the second volume of All star Superman. Again what a great book. It really is everything you love about Silverage Superman in one book. and really gets the message across that comics are suppose to be fun.

Other than that i'm actually a bit behind in my reading cos i havent got this months delivery in yet :-s

Yeah, I've been looking for a trade paperback of Kick Ass, but I've not been able to find one. I like Mark Miller's stuff, Wanted was really good and I'm going to pick up 1985 soon. People here don't seem to believe he's Scottish; he's from Coatbridge which is about 5 miles from where I grew up.

My all time favorites:
    Skydoll
    Aquaman

Reading:
    Witchblade
    The Darkness
    Resident Evil

[Level 5: Mech]
    Currently I'm buying Blackest Night, Green Lantern, Astonishing X-men, Dark Avengers and Uncanny X-men.

I'm really enjoying Blackest Night. It's the only big company crossover that has delivered exactly what it promised (zombie sharks!). The X-men are like a family to me after reading them for almost two decades and Matt Fraction is doing an awesome work with taking the franchise to interesting and different places.

for me is mainly Hellboy, BPRD and Invincible

I have given up on most of the DC and Marvel books

but Blackest Night is pretty neat

Currently Reading (In order of Favorite):
    Deadpool
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Incredible Hercules
    Thunderbolts
    Avengers: Initiative
    Runaways
    Ms. Marvel

There are a few others. Im reading the Dark tower, but while the current fall of gilead story is fantastic, the others (after the original that retold book 4) have not been.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali D View Post
    Yeah, I've been looking for a trade paperback of Kick Ass, but I've not been able to find one. I like Mark Miller's stuff, Wanted was really good and I'm going to pick up 1985 soon. People here don't seem to believe he's Scottish; he's from Coatbridge which is about 5 miles from where I grew up.
    Kick Ass hasnt finished yet. its got 2 issues left.
    you can pick up issues 1,2 and 3 in a single book. then 4, 5 and 6 in single issues.
    Buy 1985! it made me cry its amazing! and yeah he's scottish. all the best comic writers are!

Titles are for jerks.
    I've been keeping up with Walking Dead, I dont actually own any of them, I just sit in the bookstore (Barnes and Noble) and read them.

I plan on buying them when I actually have money

Quote Originally Posted by Kannaya View Post
    My all time favorites:
    Skydoll
    Aquaman

Reading:
    Witchblade
    The Darkness
    Resident Evil
    Skydoll is a GREAT read. Fantastic book, with a very interesting story (and boobs!).

As far as all my pulls. . . lets see. . . current monthly pulls right now are:

Blackest Night
    Blackest Night: Batman
    Blackest Night: Superman
    Blackest Night: Titans
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Batman
    Batman & Robin
    Batman: Streets of Gotham
    Gotham City Sirens
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Spawn
    Adventure Comics
    Detective Comics
    Superman: World of New Krypton
    Superman
    The Flash: Rebirth

Yeah, I'm really loyal to DC. :P I started reading ALL the new Batman Reborn! books but immediately eliminated Outsiders (didn't care for it), and after two issues was bored with Red Robin. I was also bored after ONE issue of The Last Days of Animal Man, which is really actually rather sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    It's only going to have 8 issues? I feel like they've barely covered anything in 6 issues, I don't see how much more they could do in only 2 issues. But I guess that's just how comics operate.
    WELL!
    apparently he's designed in as the start of a series.
    So every couple of years he'll release a new mini series being the next chapter.
    so instead of an ongoing series it'll just be mini series'

Quote Originally Posted by Guyver 0 View Post
    WELL!
    apparently he's designed in as the start of a series.
    So every couple of years he'll release a new mini series being the next chapter.
    so instead of an ongoing series it'll just be mini series'
    That means we'll be seeing the greatest fucking series of movies in the history of this planet. Hopefully there's a suitable time gap for the characters as well, so the actors don't grow out of their own roles. Because that movie is going to be amazing. . .

I really need to start reading Kick Ass! again. I read the first two issues and haven't picked up any since for some strange ass fucking reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JLanphear View Post
    I really need to start reading Kick Ass! again. I read the first two issues and haven't picked up any since for some strange ass fucking reason.
    shit I read the first 3 issues when the trailer leaked online.
    its still fucking amazing.
    and funny.
    though i know its not everyones taste like most of mark millars stuff.

I have the 4 Absolute editions of Gaiman's Sandman, and I motherfucking love them. I plan on going back through that once I finish off the few books I have left.

I got Absolute Watchmen too, which looks great. I might grab V for Vendetta at some point. I need to get into comics a bit more, I've had an idea for actually creating one, but haven't gotten into enough of them to consider myself well versed in it.

I have all the Sin City books, keeping up with the new Deadpool stuff and I'll pick up the third series of Atomic Robo when it comes out.

I'm always game for anything that involves the Joker as well. Not so much Batman really, it's all about the Joker. I'm wearing my "Killing Joke" T-shirt right now.

Yay comic book thread, was looking for this since I started.

The top three I would recommend are all written by Brian K Vaghaun

Pride of Baghdad(Think darker/adult Lion King)
    Y the Last Man(Every mammal with Y chromosome dies cept for this one guy and his monkey)
    And Ex Machina(Guy gets weird powers to talk with machines and later becomes mayor of New York)

He has a great way of giving each of his characters a unique personality and way of talking.

Other top faves are

Walking Dead
    We3(Think homeward bound meets terminator)
    Watchmen
    Wanted
    weird they all start with W's

Oh and Im a huge Venom fanatic. The Eddie Brock version. He had more depth than Mac Gargan. Glad he got his symbiote back but Anti-Venom Looks kinda weird.

@ Poopface

Have you ever read 1602 by Gaiman. Basically takes Marvel's super heroe's and places them in the 17th century. I love the way that guy plays around with mythology.

@ Timdabrat
    And have you read Brian Azerello's Joker? Many similarities to the Heath Ledger version, but was written before the movie came out. Batman is only in the last few pages. I thought it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by WrekLuz View Post
    @ Poopface

Have you ever read 1602 by Gaiman. Basically takes Marvel's super heroe's and places them in the 17th century. I love the way that guy plays around with mythology.

@ Timdabrat
    And have you read Brian Azerello's Joker? Many similarities to the Heath Ledger version, but was written before the movie came out. Batman is only in the last few pages. I thought it was really good.
    Love both of those books, definately check them out if you've not done it already. Here's some of my books. I've only got a small bookshelf in my computer room, the entire bottom shelf is comic trade paperbacks:

The rest of them have to go into the wardrobe. Need a proper big bookshelf: