Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a game programmer.

Looking for a game programmer.

I recently had an idea for a very basic addition/subtraction game where you're given a bunch of quantities for a bunch of different categories, and the player is tasked to reduce the overall quantities down to a certain number.

And everything's controlled by very simple text commands. So, like, you've got a FOOD category, so you type in "food," and that opens up MEAT and DAIRY and GRAINS, and you type in "meat" and get a number representing how much meat you have (let's say 2000), so you type in "-1000" and the count updates and now you only have 1000 meat left. And your goal is to get all the food down to, like, three items maximum. And at any time you can undo what you've done.

Except the game isn't about food. It's about something way more interesting that I'll tell you about if we end up working together.

Basically, this requires too much Actual Programming Knowledge Involving Math And Code And Shit for me to reliably do on my own, but it should be incredibly simple for anyone relatively experienced in programming if only because it's based almost solely around adding and subtracting numbers, and typing in menu selections to navigate a big-ass web of categories and subcategories. Simple stuff, hopefully.

And there won't be any graphics, so you won't have to worry about resource optimizing or anything.

So, yeah -- if you're interested and have the skillz/time, send me an email (reverendanthony[at]gmaildotcom) or private message.

Wolf Master
    I am not going to say that I am a perfect candidate for this. I know some basic programming, and from the sound of things, I could write what you want, but I know somebody else could probably do it better. If you get no other responses, I would love to work with you on a game, though.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    I would try posting in the Gamedev.net "Help Wanted" forum. That site is dedicated to game development (rather than to gaming news) so there are a larger % of programmers there.

Good luck with your project.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Is it consumerism? Sure sounds like it. No one ever did that before.

What happened to the zombie thing?

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendAnthony View Post
    I recently had an idea for a very basic addition/subtraction game where you're given a bunch of quantities for a bunch of different categories, and the player is tasked to reduce the overall quantities down to a certain number.

And everything's controlled by very simple text commands. So, like, you've got a FOOD category, so you type in "food," and that opens up MEAT and DAIRY and GRAINS, and you type in "meat" and get a number representing how much meat you have (let's say 2000), so you type in "-1000" and the count updates and now you only have 1000 meat left. And your goal is to get all the food down to, like, three items maximum. And at any time you can undo what you've done.

Except the game isn't about food. It's about something way more interesting that I'll tell you about if we end up working together.

Basically, this requires too much Actual Programming Knowledge Involving Math And Code And Shit for me to reliably do on my own, but it should be incredibly simple for anyone relatively experienced in programming if only because it's based almost solely around adding and subtracting numbers, and typing in menu selections to navigate a big-ass web of categories and subcategories. Simple stuff, hopefully.

And there won't be any graphics, so you won't have to worry about resource optimizing or anything.

So, yeah -- if you're interested and have the skillz/time, send me an email (reverendanthony[at]gmaildotcom) or private message.
    Coming from an H.R. recruiting background, I agree with posting this in a forum more related to programmers... also you might specify the platform... whether it's PC and also whether you want the program to be browser based (or whether it's potentially for XBLA, in which case you might find yet a different forum) You might also give an indication if this is to be a freeware, shareware, or for-profit project.

The more information and specifics you can give, the more interest you might receive (or at least more of the right kind of interest).

Best of luck! Sounds interesting!

Another thing you might want to mention is payment, if any.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Sounds to me like Rev doesn't exactly have cash on hand to, y'know, hire people.

This thing sounds so simple that it could be done as a browser-based game. Like, not even Flash. Just plain HTML. Would that be sufficient, or is that more barebones than you were hoping?

Wolf Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
    Another thing you might want to mention is payment, if any.
    I assumed it would be like his last game, as in, indie and free. I don't believe any profit was made from Runner, and this concept sounds even more barebones than that one.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP3DRO View Post
    Sounds to me like Rev doesn't exactly have cash on hand to, y'know, hire people.

This thing sounds so simple that it could be done as a browser-based game. Like, not even Flash. Just plain HTML. Would that be sufficient, or is that more barebones than you were hoping?
    Shoot, I didn't even think of doing it so it'd be playable in a browser window. Maybe I need to re-do my prototype in HTML. It'd be more accessible that way.

Well, that might really limit his chances on finding someone then. You typically have to give to get, whether that's cash or free swag or shit.

I assumed it would be like his last game, as in, indie and free. I don't believe any profit was made from Runner, and this concept sounds even more barebones than that one.
    Never said anything about Anthony making a profit.

Wolf Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
    Never said anything about Anthony making a profit.
    Right, well, I have been thinking about making a game myself, and I certainly don't have the money to pay artists/musicians up front, and I would even plan on making a game to sell. The best I could come up with is a percentage of profits. Considering the minimal amount of programming that would be necessary for this idea, and that it would presumably be released to the public for free, I wouldn't expect compensation for this particular endeavor.

I don't disagree that he will have more trouble finding somebody to do it without compensation than if he offered pay, but I guess I just assumed this would be done for the love of it.

Also he may be asking here because there is a modicum of trust that someone here is less likely to fuck him over for things like payment as opposed to going with some person who doesn't know him or dtoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter345 View Post
    Right, well, I have been thinking about making a game myself, and I certainly don't have the money to pay artists/musicians up front, and I would even plan on making a game to sell. The best I could come up with is a percentage of profits. Considering the minimal amount of programming that would be necessary for this idea, and that it would presumably be released to the public for free, I wouldn't expect compensation for this particular endeavor.

I don't disagree that he will have more trouble finding somebody to do it without compensation than if he offered pay, but I guess I just assumed this would be done for the love of it.
    Well, that bold little bit is something. But even still, some may balk at that, but that becomes a matter of preference, and how much they value what they do versus how much they value your vision. If you were Will Wright or Suda 51 or 'guy who did Shadow of the Colossus', you might have a bit more pull. Even I'd be willing to do an album design for some insanely popular band gratis knowing I'd get that kind of exposure. However, if you are lucky enough to find enough people passionate enough as you about working on the project free, then more power to you. But ultimately, that is what risk taking is all about, mainly for you guys with your vision. Gotta give to get.

I posed the question of payment (and I must stress that cash isn't the only method of payment, you merely should offer something of value) mainly because it is best to set the record straight on these kinds of things from the get go, so Anthony doesn't waste his time with people expecting it if he's not offering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Technophile View Post
    Also he may be asking here because there is a modicum of trust that someone here is less likely to fuck him over for things like payment as opposed to going with some person who doesn't know him or dtoid.
    Although I don't disagree with this, that kind of thing is what contracts are for. I remember a few years back on a design board I used to frequent someone posted in the classified section requiring some brochure templates for their fitness center or something. I had replied that I was interested, and we had a few back and forths via e-mail which the contents of started to make me suspicious. After about my third e-mail, I brought up the contract and told him as soon as it is signed I could start working (and I did have one), and I never heard from him again. Flaky assholes are scared of them, but they spell things out from the get-go, and problems are typically avoided in the long run.

Anyway, on topic, I know fuck-all about programming that isn't HTML/Flash/CSS related. Oh, Visual Basic way back in the day. I am a graphic artist, but you don't need us...

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I have experience with GML. Will that do?

The game sounds really cool. Too bad I'm a designer and not a programmer, I'd love to work on it. Sounds like you have the design down solid though. Oh well. I can't wait to play it!

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    http://moddb.com/ is a great place to find help. Maybe give them a try if you don't find what you're looking for here.

Pwnd
    Makes sense to try in your own backyard first.

Hmmm... being text only actually means non-game programmers could probably handle that, and there seems to be plenty of them around (far better than me too).

What kind of time frame were you looking at Rev? It sounds interesting, but on top of needing a few weeks to refamiliarize myself with programming I'm going to be away for 3-4 weeks starting either next week or the week after. So I'm probably not a good candidate. :\

I've been programming for quite some time (read: 10+ years) and am always looking for a reason to do some sort of game programming. My personal projects have been stagnating lately, too, so I'm looking for something to do lately. I've got basically nothing but time.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I don't know nuttin' about programming, but I sure hope the "way more interesting" part involves ninjas somehow.

Also, edutainment.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodylip View Post
    I've been programming for quite some time (read: 10+ years) and am always looking for a reason to do some sort of game programming. My personal projects have been stagnating lately, too, so I'm looking for something to do lately. I've got basically nothing but time.
    What kind of projects are they?

This.