Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else a videogame pack rat?

Anyone else a videogame pack rat?

Hello everyone, my name is EvilV, and I a video game pack rat

*everyone says hi*

I have an old and dusty xbox sitting in my entertainment cabinet. Hasn't been touched since the Christmas I got Xbox360.

Underneath that is an even older Playstation One. And not the slim version either, the big square block version.

Upstairs inside my closet underneath boxes upon boxes of college crap lies a treasure trove of playstation one games, mostly rpg's. However most are useless as a collectors item because in my youth I lost the manual or scratched the disk.

There are games that I have no desire to play, but I just cannot. Cannot. bring myself to get rid of them. Its hurting me now to trade in a few other games so I can get Blazblu (since my budget is pretty nonexistant right now)

Anybody else have this problem?

I usally keep my console boxes, still have a MegaDrive 2, PSone, GBA, Gamecube, DSphat box. I don't know why, but the Gamecube box did come in handy for storing GBA cases, so now I have a box filled with boxes

I didn't do it with the wii, got that in belfast and didn't feel like taking an empty box down home with me so I just left it there when i moved out the next year, then my 360 box was dumped by some one.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    I have issues myself with old consoles. My ancient SEGA systems take up so much space, especially since I have all the crappy "32X" and the CD attachment... It's ridiculous... Doesn't help that I never throw out the cases for the games... oi...
    You should just sell the cartridges on ebay.

I own games that I bought several years ago and have never opened. I really should trade them in or something, but then I wouldn't have a nice tidy shelf of games and so I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

[Level 8: Skynet]

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Eclipse View Post
    I own games that I bought several years ago and have never opened. I really should trade them in or something, but then I wouldn't have a nice tidy shelf of games and so I can't bring myself to get rid of them.
    GameStop trade values would be awful. If you ever do anything with them take them to the D-Toid trade forum or Goozex or something. That way you could actually replenish your shelf with games instead of trade in half your collection for a single new one. Hell, I wrote an entire series on Goozex.

Quote Originally Posted by Wry Guy View Post
    GameStop trade values would be awful. If you ever do anything with them take them to the D-Toid trade forum or Goozex or something. That way you could actually replenish your shelf with games instead of trade in half your collection for a single new one. Hell, I wrote an entire series on Goozex.
    I've honestly been considering making a thread in the trade yo games section just to see if anyone was interested in what I'd be wiling to part with. I'm pretty certain I don't have anything really special or cool, but I guess it couldn't hurt to at least post it and see if any new RPG's came my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Eclipse View Post
    I've honestly been considering making a thread in the trade yo games section just to see if anyone was interested in what I'd be wiling to part with. I'm pretty certain I don't have anything really special or cool, but I guess it couldn't hurt to at least post it and see if any new RPG's came my way.
    Certainly couldn't hurt. Would depend on how diverse your want list is and how valuable your offer list is, but typically you get at least one good trade at the place.

Admin / Midget King
    I almost never get rid of games now, I didn't learn my lesson after getting rid of my NES/SNES/N64 stuff, and I'm not making that mistake again.

Unicorn Enthusiast
    I wish I hadn't waited so long to become one. I can't tell you how much I wish I still had my old NES, SNES, Genesis, and so on. Can't believe that I ditched my libraries for lots of those as well. Still have a fair chunk of my NES games, and I'm clutching that shit to my breast for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wry Guy View Post
    This is one reason why I don't want to give up most of my games. It sucks so bad to have to trade in 3 just to get one for free. But alas, I feel like I need to move on.

And Mr. Mxyzptlk stated the other reason. I had the SNES, but in my youth, got rid of it. And since I got a PSone when I was younger, and sorta destroyed most of the manuals with them. So they are useless as collectibles. I have Suikoden 2 dammit, still in playing condition, just with no manual!

Its gonna be so hard tommorow to go to the gamestop and do this

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilV View Post
    This is one reason why I don't want to give up most of my games. It sucks so bad to have to trade in 3 just to get one for free. But alas, I feel like I need to move on.

And Mr. Mxyzptlk stated the other reason. I had the SNES, but in my youth, got rid of it. And since I got a PSone when I was younger, and sorta destroyed most of the manuals with them. So they are useless as collectibles. I have Suikoden 2 dammit, still in playing condition, just with no manual!

Its gonna be so hard tommorow to go to the gamestop and do this
    I'm sure someone out there would still offer something for your Suikoden 2. The thing is I hate to pack rat my games. What's the use of keeping a game you know you'll never touch again? One that doesn't even necessarily have much value to you? If I can use my old games as ammunition to create a collection of super-quality awesome stuff that makes people think "I want to play these" my job is done.

Though I have an unusual skill at the same time since I'm good enough at abusing GameStop, Goozex, and D-Toid itself so that I never have to actually lose much in the process of exchanging old games or new ones.

Again, I wrote several guides. I abuse GameStop coupons to buy used games much cheaper (often 25-35% cheaper), I hunt down hard to find games with the intend of trading them here, and I always make sure the games I get can be easily removed for any reason at the price I paid for them or MORE on Goozex.

I never operate at a loss. I've actually been able to go so far as to make GameStop trade-ins profitable.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I've kept nearly every console/video game I've ever owned, going back to the NES. The only one I ever sold was my Saturn and it's small collection of games in order to get an N64. Speaking of which, I still have that in it's original box, along with about 30 games (all boxed like new) hiding somewhere. I can never bring myself to get rid of them -- I always think that I'll want to play them again one day, and when I do dig them out I'm always pleased that I hung on to them.

I remember reading Wry Guy's guides on Goozex, but in my heart I know I'll never make use of it.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Get outta my way Saturn, I'mma do a slamma jamma on Pluto.
    I have never given away or sold my consoles, though I had tried to when I was younger, but something always came up that made me not sell them, and for that I really am grateful. There are some exceptions though, such as when I got myself a slim PS2, I sold my phat one. I'll be doing the same for the PSTripple(if the slim one has a 120gb HD). And I never sell my games, never ever ever. There is one exception to this though, and that's if I'm really strapped for cash, and the game I'm selling can be easily obtained again.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I have the same problem. I always convince myself that I'll play the games at one point or another.

[Level 2: Human]
    Count me among the people who have recently started keeping all their stuff. I wish I could go back in time and slap myself in the face for trading in some of my more awesome games.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I have this problem. I have broken systems that are taking up closet space. I have the problem of not being able to turn down a deal. I have 3 playstations, 3 playstation 2, 3 Dreamcasts, 2 Genesis, 4 NES, and about 15 sealed games. I have a broken Saturn and Xbox 360. I thought I could fix them.

On my computer, I have a DOS-BOX/SCUMM frontend called D-Fend Reloaded.

It has over 200 DOS and SCUMM games, about 80% of which I've never touched.

And every single damn one of them is legal. I did some MAJOR hoarding of PC games as a kid.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Get outta my way Saturn, I'mma do a slamma jamma on Pluto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuugrr View Post
    Count me among the people who have recently started keeping all their stuff. I wish I could go back in time and slap myself in the face for trading in some of my more awesome games.
    Damn, me too man. Especially all my SNES/Genesis/PS1 games. My SNES and Genesis games were just lost in time while growing up, and my PS1 games were scratched up so bad that they've just become coasters. I'd do the same if I could go back, punch my younger self right in the stomach.

As much as I hated it, just traded in some games so I could get Blazblu.

Three games= barely enough for one. And I even abused some 25 percent + 10 percent with a card, still only barely got pass 60 bucks.

Granted only one was from this year, but still, its ridiculous.

I would use trading sites and the trading forums but I'm about to do a big move back to college so I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of shipping yet.

[Level 2: Human]
    I'm horrible for this I have boxes full of snes and n64 games sitting in my closet, not to mention a huge tub full of nes games in storage and like 4-5 consoles lol