Page 3 of 1000 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 503 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arcade

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Here's a topic... what games can you think of/have played where you can't define the genre. Games that don't fit into any genre or fit into so many you can't simplify it.

example: Yanya cabalista (sp?). Crazy jet grind/animeish skateboarding game where you attach a skateboard to the analog sticks, and skate around destroying white goopy aliens (yes, infer what you will).

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by GraveRisen View Post
    Here's a topic... what games can you think of/have played where you can't define the genre. Games that don't fit into any genre or fit into so many you can't simplify it.

example: Yanya cabalista (sp?). Crazy jet grind/animeish skateboarding game where you attach a skateboard to the analog sticks, and skate around destroying white goopy aliens (yes, infer what you will).
    Knights in the Nightmare. So many aspects from different genres, it's hard to pin one genre on it.

Keeper of the Reals
    Quote Originally Posted by TewDee View Post
    As for games right now, I think I'm going to play and beat The Witcher before school starts up again (two weeks). I've had that game set aside for so long it makes me sick. With 1.5 and the Director's Cut out, it's worth booting up again.
    I'm in the exact same situation, actually. Only I already started it. I really like it.

[Level 6: Robot]

Audiosurf.

Quote Originally Posted by TewDee View Post
    Audiosurf.
    Rhythm.

Just like the game it ripped off
    http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/scree.../amplitude.jpg

Honestly, Knights in the Knightmare is the only one that comes to mind. Shmup + SRPG=?? ShmuPG?

Gym Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnalon View Post
    Rhythm.

I played, enjoyed, and own Amplitude. Audisurf has given me much more enjoyment, can play any song, and cost me $.99.

I think "the game it was inspired by" is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Krow View Post
    I played, enjoyed, and own Amplitude. Audisurf has given me much more enjoyment, can play any song, and cost me $.99.

I think "the game it was inspired by" is better.
    Yea, harsh words. I just really like Amplitude, and felt like it was a blatant attempt to recreate it in indie fashion, with minor Rez sprinkled in.

I actually like Audiosurf, I just wish it wasn't so similar.

Rhythm.

Honestly, Knights in the Knightmare is the only one that comes to mind. Shmup + SRPG=?? ShmuPG?
    I don't think it's that much of a rhythm game. I mean, it's music-biased without a doubt, but it could also be a puzzle game.

I also think Amplitude sucked balls.

Also, holy shit. I remember years ago when I worked in a video game packing warehouse, this was one of the games we sent out. I had a whole box of those little skateboard thingy that were left over, and I gave them all to an old housemate.

Amplitude was alright - But I didnt like the songs. Frequency was infinitely better. I used to be so good at that damn game. I miss playing online.

Audiosurf isnt quite rhythm. I think its rather unique, even though the gameplay is pretty simplistic.

Gym Leader

Still responds to BLOO
    Whore!

I wanna be a Venusaur. MAKE IT HAPPEN RIGHT MEOW!!!

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by de BLOO View Post
    Whore!

I wanna be Jackie Onassis. I wanna wear a pair of dark sunglasses. I wanna be, Jackie O. OH OH OH PLEASE DON'T DIE!!!
    Suddenly I want to rage against machines. Hmmmm...

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Today my Boss said "If my kids are bad I tell 'em no Video Games or Nintendo"

Nintendo aren't Video Games anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebones View Post
    Today my Boss said "If my kids are bad I tell 'em no Video Games or Nintendo"

Nintendo aren't Video Games anymore.
    ALERT THE INTERNET

You mean amazing blog whoring.

Where did you get your blog header from? I want one of Zapdos, in that style.

Do you still play Pearl/Diamond, by the way? I stopped 3/4s through the game and never picked it back up.

Side note: finally got around to reading the news story on Passage. What's with all the hate? I thought it was a great little experiment.

I had to laugh at the people who said "holding right is not a game". I have no idea why you wouldn't attempt to move down: it was one of the first things that crossed my mind.

Side note: finally got around to reading the news story on Passage. What's with all the hate? I thought it was a great little experiment.

I had to laugh at the people who said "holding right is not a game". I have no idea why you wouldn't attempt to move down: it was one of the first things that crossed my mind.
    See, I "got" Passage, and I thought it was great, but people really fucking hated it in the comments. I'm like "What the hell? Did the game rape you or something?" There is a bit of a level of "fuck this game" there that would keep Anthony up at night.

Altho I don't know anyone that cried to it or anything like that, and I didn't get emotionally welled up, but it was good.

I don't need a title I AM Disneyworld.
    I had to laugh at the people who said "holding right is not a game".
    They've clearly never played Sonic the Hedgehog.

ZING!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsax2010 View Post
    They've clearly never played Sonic the Hedgehog.

ZING!
    http://www.instantrimshot.com/

And now, something completly different:

In the Game Recommendation Thread, someone recommended something that made me fall out of my chain in nostalgia: Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm.

Before Naruto hit the US, me and my high school friends sat around once a week and watched anime in one of our basements and played video games all day, including Naruto. It was fucking great. Then my buddy Matt imported this game, or whatever iteration was on the GameCube in Japan at the time, and it pretty much unlocked my love for fighting games. The game was not deep at all, but fuck was it fun and I played a kick ass Kiba (the kid with the dog) and Shino (kid with the insects) that won tournaments.

[Level 5: Mech]
    It never dawned on me to move down in Passage, I think because of the aspect of it. It was narrow vertically, so I assumed that was the entire view.

Either way, Passage didn't rape me or touch me inappropriately, but I don't consider it a game. I'd say its more like interactive art, but its all a subjective definition anyway. So I won't argue the point with anybody who disagrees. Unless they try to tell me that its a fighting game or a shmup or something. Then they're just wrong.