Thread: Why does The Evil Within look like ass?

[Level 2: Human]

Why does The Evil Within look like ass?

I'm speaking visuals. Graphics are by no means the most important thing to me when it comes to any genre, even horror, but why does it look like shit?

There are so many titles that I guarantee are working with a smaller budget that look 3x better visually: SOMA, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (amazing), Routine, The Forest (my most anticipated, and u can actually see the visuals get better throughout the series of trailers), and quite a few more. Every single title I just mentioned is being developed by an indie studio. Who is publishing The Evil Within? BETHESDA....!

There's no reason at all for this to look like shit. Some might say "Yeah well, the other games are in first-person, and the character animations that come along with third-person make a huge difference"... Yeah well, I can think of a million other third-person games that I'm sure had similar budgets as The Evil Within and look fantastic. Also, most of the titles I mentioned take place in open-world/sandbox environments, and I guarantee The Evil Within will be along the lines of a more linear experience.

Visuals aside, the game looks like a blast. I love the art-direction and character designs, even though the trailer I linked up top included SO MANY cliche's: box head guy is a ripoff of Pyramid Head, there was a hall with blood coming at you, he even re-uses the "zombie turn-around" from RE1. All of that is kind of lame... but it doesn't bother me that much. I still think it seems like a great game... BUT WHY THE BAD VISUALS?!

It seems like the majority of studios taking advantage of "next-gen" are indie's, which is fine since there are so many great indie titles currently and on the way, but thats also ass-backwards.

How do you feel about the visuals, how they compare to other horror titles and upcoming next-gen games, and how will they affect your deciding factor when considering purchasing The Evil Within?
    Last edited by SINKHEADHXC; 04-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Visuals take a back seat to content, or content takes a back seat to visuals. Very rarely do the two ever step in sync.

The visuals look decent enough. I believe the latest trailer was PS3 footage, so of course that's going to look rougher. The art direction looks slick, and that's the important thing.

It's a new IP being developed by a newly set up studio. There was no way Bethesda were going to throw a huge budget to allow them to make prettiful graphic pr0n. On the flip side, it's being directed by Shinji Mikami, and that dude has got a better track record than almost anyone else. when it comes to gameplay Have faith dude. And if the graphics really bug you that much, buy the PS4 version.

They're developing for old and new generations, so there has to be a middle-ground for maximum profit.

No mystery.

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    No mystery.
    Rawwww, row kay rehn...

I hope this game is good, it looks right up my alley.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by TitusGroan View Post
    The visuals look decent enough. I believe the latest trailer was PS3 footage, so of course that's going to look rougher. The art direction looks slick, and that's the important thing.

It's a new IP being developed by a newly set up studio. There was no way Bethesda were going to throw a huge budget to allow them to make prettiful graphic pr0n. On the flip side, it's being directed by Shinji Mikami, and that dude has got a better track record than almost anyone else. when it comes to gameplay Have faith dude. And if the graphics really bug you that much, buy the PC version.
    fixed :P

nah the graphics don't bug me, as i mention the game looks fun as hell, but i just find it odd that some of these indie horror games on the horizon have insanely good visuals, when a game with a monster publisher backing it has very sub-par, especially for what may be a more linear ride, opposed to open-world exploration.

if it isn't a sandbox, i'm also fine with this, but usually bigger environments equals simpler visuals, and vice-versa. excluding insane heavyweights like Elder Scrolls, GTA and Battlefield, which are just marvels of software.

hell, maybe they're putting as little into it as possible and will try riding out on the art-style and just how good the game plays, kind of like Dark Souls. i am very hip to that.

Quote Originally Posted by SINKHEADHXC View Post
    fixed :P

nah the graphics don't bug me, as i mention the game looks fun as hell, but i just find it odd that some of these indie horror games on the horizon have insanely good visuals, when a game with a monster publisher backing it has very sub-par, especially for what may be a more linear ride, opposed to open-world exploration.
    Those indie games will spend far less of their budget on cutscenes, probably have fewer individual enemy types to design, fewer environment types, and generally funnel fewer resources into making the smaller amount of stuff they do create look sharper. It's also worth pointing out that Tango are a Japanese developer, and they're much less fussed about the whole pushing-polygons thing than westerndevelopers.

Lastly, Bethesda is in no way a monster publisher. Fallout and TES games keep them in the black, but they're still a pretty small fry publisher compared to the likes of EA and Activision. IIRC, their current financials mean if TES Online flopped, it would be a huge crater on their bank balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Spoiler!
    Daphne such a bitch doe

[Level 6: Robot]
    graphic pr0n.

Just wanted an excuse to use this gif.

Those indie games will spend far less of their budget on cutscenes, probably have fewer individual enemy types to design, fewer environment types, and generally funnel fewer resources into making the smaller amount of stuff they do create look sharper. It's also worth pointing out that Tango are a Japanese developer, and they're much less fussed about the whole pushing-polygons thing than westerndevelopers.

Lastly, Bethesda is in no way a monster publisher. Fallout and TES games keep them in the black, but they're still a pretty small fry publisher compared to the likes of EA and Activision. IIRC, their current financials mean if TES Online flopped, it would be a huge crater on their bank balance.
    ZeniMax owns Bethesda......anyway....

as far as their financial means for ESO goes... what?! it sold 5 million before it shipped. thats $60 a pop plus $15/month x 5 milli, plus more on the way. what a flop *rolls eyes*

as far as variety of environments goes... did you look at what i linked and watch TEW trailer?

you are most likely correct about there being a larger variety of enemy types in TEW, but thats still up in the air since the other games have yet to entirely release all of the enemy types they're including. either way, this shouldn't have to bog down the graphics to the 10fps it looks like its running at in the trailer, and its not like there will be a ton of enemy types on screen at once. i'm sure each one will be loaded when entering their designated areas.

to argue this, though, if you use The Forest as an example, you can see many enemys on screen at once, all the same type, but all with different features, and all with totally different AI patterns, which are some of the most insane AI patterns i've seen, all while sporting insane visuals, a huge open world where you are literally building shelters and can actually cut down every tree in the game and can eliminate the entire tribe of enemies, who also have sleeping patterns, daily routines, and reactions based on your actions that you can take advantage of. TEW's enemy's will most likely have few AI patterns and will not be open world, which would usually allow for better visuals.

its all right there in the information i provided. hence why i'm curious as to why the visuals are the way they are in comparison to upcoming titles in the same genre being developed by smaller studios.

also, to argue the whole budget thing... have you seen the marketing this game is getting compared to the other's i mentioned? they're not even in the same league. this game will inevitably sell millions more.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    I thought the 5 million figure was just for beta participants. You're also assuming that every single player will stay for longer than the free month. Those with any taste and knowledge of MMOs--probably very few, as anyone that followed the game before launch will have an idea of how shit it is--will drop it, and those without that will probably drop it too once it's no longer flavour of the month.

It'll be F2P later this year or early next. That's not to say it won't turn a profit, however. SWTOR is still going strong, apparently.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Horror is supposed to look like ass imho. But, I also think this looks like a really nice ass.

I believe the trailer was being showcased on the PS3. If that's the case than yeah it isn't going to look very pretty. Next-Gen graphics shit on our old consoles, no surprise there. Frankly I don't mind the toned down graphics when it comes to the older systems. My main focus is gameplay, atmosphere and controls -- when it comes to those 3 things graphics can take a long, hard back sit. Honestly I'm just happy to see a game focus on the actual horror aspect, haven't really seen that since the original Dead Space/Old Resident Evil.