Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dtoid Forum Discusses: Monthly Musings: I suck at games

Gym Leader

Dtoid Forum Discusses: Monthly Musings: I suck at games

This months topic: I suck at games (click for original post)

And so begins my trial run of a new monthly forum topic that will coincide with each new monthly theme Reverend Anthony comes up with. This post will serve as an archive of Monthly Musing community blogs posts and hopefully as a means of forum discussion. I know a lot of you can't be assed to look at the community blogs, so.. yeah.

I'll keep the promoted blogs separate from the ones that are still in the community blogs, and once every few days I'll highlight an overlooked non-promoted blog for discussion and so it'll (hopefully) get more attention.

Here's the unofficial announcement blog.

Promoted blogs
    1. I suck at games: Strategy/Tactical Games by pedroray2003
    2. I suck at games: Fighting Game Edition by Ninja In Distress
    3. I suck at games: Tomb of the unskilled soldier by JT IceFire
    4. I suck at games: Gaming nirvana by Krow
    5. I suck at games: BlazBlue and a slapdash attempt at fisticuffs by Kauza
    6. I suck at games: I suck at world 8-1 by pendelton21
    7. I suck at games: PEW PEW LASERS! by nekobun
    8. I suck at games: Nostalgia's Curse by Canti-Sama
    9. I suck at games: Yet still enjoying the affairs that weren't meant to be by DiscardedCouchSandwich
    10. I suck at games: But not forever by Wry Guy
    11. I suck at games: IWBTG and my waning sanity by vava
    12. I suck at games: Friend vs Friend - Fight! by ShadowkatRegn
    13. I suck at games: So bring on undies and a knife! by Elsa

Community Blogs
    1. I suck at games: Finishing by Jivemasta
    2. I suck at games: JRPGs by Stryffe
    3. I suck at games: Fighting Game Edition by Ninja In Distress (promoted)
    4. I suck at games: The Fighting Disease by Blindfire
    5. I suck at games: FPS by D Sane
    6. I suck at games: A C&C fan's perspective by TripleZer0
    7. I suck at games: Strategy/Tactical games by pedrovay2003 (promoted)
    8. I suck at games: Tomb of the unskilled soldier by JT IceFire (promoted)
    9. I suck at games: Fighting scars that never heals by Danzflor
    10. I suck at games: BlazBlue and a slapdash attempt at fisticuffs by Kauza (promoted)
    11. I suck at games: Rhythm is a sucker by Marioland
    12. I suck at games: Wait, how do I breath again? by Lokyar
    13. I suck at games: This game's loser is...me! by Boatz
    14. I suck at games: Gaming Nivana by Krow (promoted)
    15. I suck at games: I suck at World 8-1 by pendelton21 (promoted)
    16. I suck at games: Fighters (Contains rape allegories ) by Canti-sama
    17. I suck at games: An anecdote on learning curves being awesome by zgerhard
    18. I suck at games: The Middleman by WarZombie
    19. I suck at games: Charge! by sw33tmadness
    20. I win at games: (monthly musing) by randombullseye
    21. I suck at games: Puzzle games by heyricochet
    22. I suck at games: RPG by urahara
    23. I suck at games: PEW PEW LASERS! by nekobun (promoted)
    24. I suck at games: Sneak, Sneak, Sh*t by SuitcoatAvenger
    25. I suck at games: Where's my drivers license? by DocHaus
    26. I suck at games: Fighting Mike Tyson by theFNFreak
    27. I suck at games: Nostalgia's Curse by Canti-sama (promoted)
    28. I suck at games: Period by bushofghosts
    29. I suck at games: Wii Fit by TSuereth
    30. I suck at games: Yet still enjoying the affairs that weren't meant to be by Discarded Couch Sandwich (promoted)
    31. I suck at games: I'm gonna kill you later anyway, so why do I have to protect you? by SyntaxError
    32. I suck at games: But not forever by WryGuy (promoted)
    33. I suck at games: IWBTG and my waning sanity by vava (promoted)
    34. I suck at finishing games by Ali D
    35. I suck at games: They make me sick by Faith
    36. I suck at games: The death of the art behind the 2D sidescroller by kjohnson1585
    37. I suck at games: Wii sports bowling by goodgamer77
    38. I suck at games: Space Quest III by laika one
    39. The I suck at games post of monthly topic notwithstanding by thefil
    40. I suck at games: So bring on undies and a knife! by Elsa (promoted)
    41. I suck at games: First admit your problem by Pangloss
    42. I suck at games: Friend vs Friend - Fight! by ShadowkatRegn (promoted)
    43. I suck at games: Role Playing Games by TonySwank
    44. I suck at games: Controller inept by Prof Doctor
    45. I suck at games: Bleeding fingers for the sake of love by Quistnix
    46. I suck at games: Banned of Brothers by The-Excel
    47. I suck at games: Point and Click Inferno by Monodi
    48. I suck at games: Too many bullets for one pair of eyes and a brain by Batthink
    49. I suck at games: Stretching my RPGs out into a year and a half ordeal by Stevil
    50. I suck at games: Like the kid who plays with Risk figures instead of actually playing Risk by Bilar
    51. I suck at games: I have a fake pilots license by TheDreadHawk
    52. I suck at games: Keeping your cheevos in check by BluDesign
    53. I suck at games: Hey guys I just learned how to play MvC2! by Tubatic
    54. I suck at games: Will somebody PLEASE explain GTA to me!? by BA Chieftain
    55. I suck at games: The trooper by nekobun
    56. I suck at games: How I started sucking a little less by JLFrelder
    57. I suck at games: I only wish everyone else sucked as much as me by CaptainBus
    58. I suck at games: The blame game by megaStryke
    59. I suck at games: Because my teammates suck by cm Katarn
    60. I suck at games: and thanks for letting me know that, Internet by Dexter345
    61. I suck at games: Artificial incompetence by walkyourpath

Highlighted Musings

1. I suck at games: Strategy/Tactical Games by pedroray2003
    2. I suck at games: BlazBlue and a slapdash attempt at fisticuffs by Kauza
    3. I suck at games: Fighters (Contains rape allegories ) by Canti-sama
    4. I suck at games: Yet still enjoying the affairs that weren't meant to be by Discarded Couch Sandwich
    5. I suck at games: Banned of Brothers by The-Excel
    6. I suck at games: The blame game by megaStryke

Discussion point

None of us are great at every genre of videogaming, or even any of them. What does that mean for how we perceive those things we suck at? How do we feel, knowing that certain emotions are essentially alien to us due to a lack of skill? Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? How do we deal with sucking at games? - from the article

In particular, I was wondering if any of you have video games that you're absolutely horrendous that you continue to play out of a sense of obligation? Have you ever played a game you were horrible at and enjoyed it? If you buy a game and you end up sucking, do you continue to play so that you'll "get your moneys worth"?

If I've missed your blog, please link me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krow View Post
    In particular, I was wondering if any of you play video games that you're absolutely horrendous that you continue to play out of a sense of obligation? Have you ever played a game you were horrible at and enjoyed it? If you buy a game and you end up sucking, do you continue to play so that you'll "get your moneys worth"?
    I do continue to play to get my moneys worth, only for the fact that I barely ever buy games. It's an obligation to myself. If someone else gives me a shitty game for Christmas I will most likely take it back or give it to GameStop for half of what it's worth.

Unicorn Enthusiast
    I think the ultimate "suck, but want to get better" game is something like Rock Band or even the older Frequency and Amplitude. I definitely sucked a whole lot at Frequency when I first played it, but I stuck with it and enjoyed it.

I think the difference here was that there was an expectation of sucking, both on my part and on the game's part. I knew going into the experience that I'd be somewhat lost. Hell, it was a type of game that I had never played before. Thus, it was only natural that I'd suck.

The game seemed to know that too, and it helped me along, giving me plenty of help in getting on the right track. I think the newer rhythm games do this well too: no fail more, varying difficulties, and a good mix of really easy and really difficult songs.

I guess there's also more of a sense of achievement here--at least one that you can more easily see. It feels like there's always something meaningful to strive for, whether it is a higher difficulty level, more stars, etc. It makes sticking with the difficulty a lot more bearable.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I'm horrible at FPS's yet still play them because the roommate loves them. I always feel a step behind while playing them, always last to the fray, shooting second, or straight sucking with a sniper rifle. This may explain my preference to slower games like RPG's, though I can still play Rock Band and fighting games without the same sluggish feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by FWhipple View Post
    I'm horrible at FPS's yet still play them because the roommate loves them. I always feel a step behind while playing them, always last to the fray, shooting second, or straight sucking with a sniper rifle.
    I know exactly how you feel here. My friends and brother expect people to instantly be good at these games or expect that they play these types of games as much as them. I feel this mostly while playing FPS's with people, half the time the minimaps confuse me or my reaction time being "human." Or even while playing simple side scrolling games. I mean, I'm not terrible at them, but I'm not super good at them either. And while playing with people and while making mistakes they rage at and bash me for being a "failure," hinders my ability to want to improve and to want to have fun with their game.

There's also a standpoint of any type of game I start I don't have the innate ability to instantly be good at it or catch on super, super quick. Just about any game that's not an RPG will take me a little bit to get used to. Just about every action game, every FPS, every side scroller is different in it's own way and it takes me a bit to grasp each new detail/function, (Such as gravity or unique hitboxes). Some games quicker than others, being that some games are minimalistic or run and jump. I don't always get the chance to grasp this while playing with people because we usually move on to a different game for some reason or another.

And no, taking time to get used to and start enjoying games is not grounds for being called a horrible gamer or a mentally slow person. :|

Pwnd
    It's bad to suck at games. Some games require patience to wade through tedium (JRPGs). Calmly watching battle animations play for the Nth time's only good if you're trying to be like Siddhartha.

I'm not great at any genre. I like RTSs alot though I suck at them. My sucking has kept me from playing much multiplayer but that's about it.

Eventually some team will blend the MMO, FPS, RTS, and RPG genres into 1 game that'll rule them all. Now we're seeing a transformation where RPG makers don't consider turn based RPG mechanics enough. They're making games that're RPGs and FPSs. Meanwhile some FPS makers (MAG) are pushing how many players they can have. Games like Primal have already blended RTSs and FPSs. CoD 4 introduced RPG elements. It's just a matter of time until a developer converges all 4.

Me + Fighting games = FAIL

I end up resorting to button mashing in desperation. I don't know what it is, I'm just not willing to take the time to learn combos and such and retain that knowledge.

I don't think its the fast pace of the game, as I am generally good at FPS games (although somethimes I tend to ignore the use of cover and resort to screaming a battle cry while charging at the enemy, but thats for a different time). I could never figure it out, and they therefore never held my interest.

Gym Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauza View Post
    I guess there's also more of a sense of achievement here--at least one that you can more easily see. It feels like there's always something meaningful to strive for, whether it is a higher difficulty level, more stars, etc. It makes sticking with the difficulty a lot more bearable.
    So, in comparison to something like Blaz Blue, seeing the rewards of mastering a particular game is enough to keep you striving for perfection?

Interesting. Also, updated the list.

MLB 09 The Show. That is all.

Gym Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
    MLB 09 The Show. That is all.
    Really? I thought you rocked the sports genre in general.

Really? I thought you rocked the sports genre in general.
    Well, sorta. I enjoy sports games (certainly don't hate them as much as people who hate them like to admit often), but I'm not amazingly awesome at them. In Madden last year I had full All-Madden settings on my Madden IQ for passing and rushing offense, yet my defense for both of those was usually trending around Pro (the second lowest).

All that, and MLB The Show will make anyone feel like a retard.

Concerning this topic, I guess there really isn't much I'm terrible at per se. I mean, I'm not outstanding, but I can usually hold my own in any given genre. The last game that truly frustrated the shit out of me was God Hand, and well, that's pretty much a given.

May have more to say later. Got a ball game in 30.

Gym Leader
    Congratulations to pedroray2003 for being this months first promoted musing! I must be clairvoyant.

Keeper of the Reals
    I'll have to go with RTS. I played some as a kid and failed miserably (though it was probably not the best time to try them). I'm currently really enjoying Dawn of War II though, since it's RPGy and you have your own guy.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
    I end up resorting to button mashing in desperation. I don't know what it is, I'm just not willing to take the time to learn combos and such and retain that knowledge.
    Then you should kick ass at fighting games.

I played a friend who would play as Sindel in Deadly Alliance's sequel and grab ad infinitum. I could beat him but it spoke ill of the game such a limited moveset was so effective. Even pro fighter players spam fireballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiranio View Post
    I'll have to go with RTS. I played some as a kid and failed miserably (though it was probably not the best time to try them). I'm currently really enjoying Dawn of War II though, since it's RPGy and you have your own guy.
    Ain't it a sign of great game design when you're having fun despite sucking? Or in the case of wiiners that you're stupid. You Christiangamer, I categorize in the former category. RTSs're fun.

Keeper of the Reals
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoRobo View Post
    Ain't it a sign of great game design when you're having fun despite sucking? Or in the case of wiiners that you're stupid. You Christiangamer, I categorize in the former category. RTSs're fun.
    Yes it is, and what?

Gym Leader
    Since pedroray2003's blog was promoted to the front page, I highlighted a new blog. This one is by Dtoider Kauza, and it highlights his inability to play fighting games for the fighting mechanics alone, and various other things.

It's a great read and an interesting take on the genre.

If you scroll up in the thread you can see him >_>,;

Unicorn Enthusiast
    So, in comparison to something like Blaz Blue, seeing the rewards of mastering a particular game is enough to keep you striving for perfection?

Interesting. Also, updated the list.
    Well, that's what I can't 100% decide. In a game like BlazBlue, it's true that you don't necessarily see the fruits of your efforts in such a direct way. Sure, you can go online and actually have a chance, and you can feel the satisfaction of pulling off the more complex moves, but I do feel like the Rock Bands of the world inherently have more reward to them.

But there's a whole bunch of other factors involved if I try to compare the learning curves of Rock Band and BlazBlue. For one, I love the shit out of music. So it's really no surprise that I'd be more willing to struggle through frustration in order to reach a higher level of proficiency. Moreover, there are different skills involved. Something like Rock Band also requires that you learn rhythm to some extent, as well as train your hands to do the right things. Now, being a musician, that's never really been a struggle for me. So while other friends struggled to get their fingers to work on the buttons correctly, I was already playing on hard, having taken a few songs to get used to the colors, interface, etc. In a game like BlazBlue, however, I have absolutely no advantage over others. If anything, I'm at a disadvantage, having played few fighting games in the past.

So, seeing those rewards might certainly be a part of it. But I think, to me, the simple act of learning a rhythm game is more fun than that in a fighting game, as it just matches up better with what I consider fun. It also helps that I feel like I can learn rhythm games easily, whereas I feel like learning a fighting game is a losing battle.

I think FWhipple and others talking about FPS games might feel something similar here. Do you all feel something similar about those games to what I'm talking about?

(I actually wrote this yesterday, but my internet connection at work was being a dick, and I didn't get to post it. So here it is now!)

[Level 6: Robot]
    I feel like a dickhole but I can't think of one genre I'm particularly bad at.

I used to do fighting game tournies, rock SRPGs, play sports games heavily, was pretty formidable at obscure RTS games, I'm an action whore, and I was playing Guitar Hero on Expert day one, after about 4 hours, when I first bought Guitar Hero 1.

Ah! DDR. When I first played I had ZERO coordination. I took me about a full month, but I got up to Max 300 Heavy. A month is a long time to get good, so I guess I answered my own question, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauza View Post
    But I think, to me, the simple act of learning a rhythm game is more fun than that in a fighting game
    I'm biased because I adore fighting games, and I think learning Guilty Gear for the first time, seeing it in action, was one of the best experiences of my life.

I do agree with you though that learning rhythm games is a BLAST. I still remember the day I played Amplitude for the first time in my friends basement, or playing Guitar Hero at my wife's old house, or playing DDR in my childhood home with a shitty plastic mat I would later replace.

What I would give to go back and unlearn Guitar Hero. It was the first big mainstream rock song game. Playing Crossroads was an absolute DREAM of mine. Once I mastered it, the game got a lot less fun.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I've tried Gran Turismo and Grid; can't do it. I don't have the patience to brake properly in videogames. Save that shit for real life.

Unicorn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkmailer View Post
    I've tried Gran Turismo and Grid; can't do it. I don't have the patience to brake properly in videogames. Save that shit for real life.
    Now there's an interesting thought: it's the actual braking mechanics in those games rather than the type of game, which is what most people have been talking about. So you like other racers like Burnout, yes?

So, I guess that brings up a new question: are there certain mechanics of games that you suck at?

For me, I've never been an awesome sniper in multiplayer FPS games. I love movement and attacking, defending, etc. I'm a decent shot with a sniper rifle, but not in the way that some are able to pick up headshots without thinking. I also tend to have a hard time just waiting around for someone to pop up.

Magnalon, this would be a good question for you, since, in your infinite dickholeness, you have failed to come up with something that you suck at. Ass. Honestly...