Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Screw April, them things are sweet!

0 0%
  • April is a good time to get one.

1 10.00%
  • WAIT for as long as you can!

6 60.00%
  • If you don't hear anything about June, go for it.

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MBP now or later?

Eats like a goddamn hero.

MBP now or later?

I'd like to preface this with THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ON WHETHER I SHOULD GET A PC OR MAC!!!

Now that this is out of the way...I currently have a 4 year old iMac (20", 1GB ram). It is doing its job with little show of age. It might chug here and there but for the most part it gets the job done.

But with the iPad release (I don't buy 1st gen Apple products) and the idea of getting a Netbook, I am considering getting a MacBook Pro. I'd like to think of it as the successor to my iMac. I only think MBP cause it is more hardy and with me starting to edit HD video (might get FinalCutPro), perhaps music editing, and my new project coming up requiring extensive PhotoShopping, seems like a decent idea.

I am just worried about buying a MBP and then getting a new one released a month later. Is there a standard Apple event in June? I could buy one now but will wait till April at least to pad the bank account a little more.

[Level 5: Mech]
    i said wait, if only because its frustrating to buy something only to have a new version come out right after.

If it bleeds, He can kill it
    I would wait till around Apple`s press conference thing in june.Rumor is that the next model will have the i5 and i7 in them. Im waiting for june also to see if that rumor is true or buy the 27 iMac.
    The extra cores and "hyper threading" thing are supposed to be helpful when your trying to render videos. I got a white mac book, intel 2.4ghz, and it takes hours to render something out of FCP or AfterEffects, the i7s in my schools computer lab blast through anything you give them.

Dork, bookmark this shit.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

They say hold off, all signs are pointing to a new model pretty soon. Most times the updates are marginal, but even so, if you're going to get a new one, might as well get as up to date as possible. Just do not buy Apple's fucking RAM...ridiculous prices.

Get a PC and play L4D2.

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodylip View Post
    Get a PC and play L4D2.
    Boot Camp

Get a PC and play L4D2.
    Steam for Mac

Adam, I'm in the exact same boat as you, only I've been waiting since February now.

Don't buy one now, the link Poopface posted is a pretty good judge most of the time, and right now we're going on one of the longest gaps that the MBPs have ever seen. Here's what I assume happened, take it or leave it for what it is...

There are already some rumored benchmarks out there, and while they may not be true, all signs are pointing to an upgrade from the Core2Duos in the laptops today. This alone would be worth the wait for the new systems, since the processing power increase from a move to a C2D to an i5 or i7 is huge, but there's something more, on top of that.

Again, this is rumored, but NVIDIA's Optimus technology is supposed to be in the new systems too. This isn't much of a stretch at all, seeing as the currently available 15" and 17" MBPs already have both an integrated and discrete graphics card, but switching between them requires a restart. The Optimus technology allows for "intelligent" switching on the fly, to conserve battery life when possible, but giving you the better graphical performance when playing a game or something.

The i7s have been around for a while in laptops, but the Optimus is brand new, so my hunch is that Apple wanted to get their shit together and release them back in February, but they weren't ready, so now they have to wait until June, because they don't dare launch anything too close to the iPad.

It's worth waiting for these two updates, unless you don't care about CPU or graphics performance, in which case you shouldn't buy a MBP. Hold onto your money for the time being, my friend. It's what I'm doing.

Get a PC and play L4D2.
    Have a PC, played L4D2 and it is HORRIBLE! Would not pay for that garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
    Dork, bookmark this shit.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

They say hold off, all signs are pointing to a new model pretty soon. Most times the updates are marginal, but even so, if you're going to get a new one, might as well get as up to date as possible. Just do not buy Apple's fucking RAM...ridiculous prices.
    Mmmm, tasty link!

If I don't buy Apple RAM, whose ram do I buy?

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindsideDork View Post
    Mmmm, tasty link!

If I don't buy Apple RAM, whose ram do I buy?

If you buy a MBP now or later, I think is a moot point. If you absolutly need the best around as far as MBP goes then wait till June, but this also isn't a guarantee that a new redesigned MBP will def come out. Also note that i dont know jack about FinalCut and what is needed to run it. I have a 3 mth old laptop and a 7 mth old imac and they both run logic studio just fine. So i guess it is all up to what you feel you may need to run your main programs.

As far as ram etc. goes I would just buy the most basic stuff because you can always upgrade the hdd and ram later. Check newegg on where to buy ram they always have a dedicated section for what ram works for apple.

TL;DR - newegg.com for apple ram. new mbp now/later up to you.

- xibalba

Better come quick!!!

Had my iMac plugged into a power surge/protector and it was barely raining, the power flickered and now it won't turn on!!! I have left it unplugged until I get home from work and if it still won't turn on.....

:O

Have a PC, played L4D2 and it is HORRIBLE! Would not pay for that garbage.
    lol

Rumors are true

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/10/...umbers-appear/

Quote Originally Posted by Slowey View Post
    MMMMMMMMM beefy, DO WANT!

That's what she said.

I'll be buying one with you, what size are you getting?

I'm probably getting the 17", but if they up the resolution on the 15" models to 1920x1200/1080, I'll probably go with that instead.

Further plans for it include laser etching the lid, swapping the optical drive for a SSD, and probably adding more RAM with aftermarket memory, unless it comes with 8GB standard (it probably won't).

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusKills View Post
    I'll be buying one with you, what size are you getting?

I'm probably getting the 17", but if they up the resolution on the 15" models to 1920x1200/1080, I'll probably go with that instead.

Further plans for it include laser etching the lid, swapping the optical drive for a SSD, and probably adding more RAM with aftermarket memory, unless it comes with 8GB standard (it probably won't).
    I am pissing myself like a raving mad fanboy!!!

This post comes out: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...o_refresh.html AND...

Apple Store IS DOWN.

But 17" is expensive but I like the size of the realestate available on it. I almost feel like the 15" doesn't seem like enough?

I am pissing myself like a raving mad fanboy!!!

This post comes out: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...o_refresh.html AND...

Apple Store IS DOWN.

But 17" is expensive but I like the size of the realestate available on it. I almost feel like the 15" doesn't seem like enough?
    That's my feeling exactly, but apparently there will be build-to-order options that include higher resolution screens. If I can get the extra real estate of a 17" in a 15", I may do that. Though the ability to get a quad core BTO processor in the 17" is certainly tempting... My credit card may hate me by the end of the day...