Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The old Republic (KOTOR MMO)

Star Wars: The old Republic (KOTOR MMO)

So you guys wanna see your admin completely lose his shit?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49936.html

My life...will be over.

It's not "news" as we knew this was coming out and I know that Dtoid isn't all that mmo centric, but jesus christ. This is the exact era I love in star wars, this is exactly the same tone I love in my star wars (basically the bad guys winning) and best of all, it's an MMO which I have a fondness for. It also treads on story and lore in the SW universe that is basically untouched and can therefore have some real drama and impact (other then that Clone Wars shit where you KNOW everyone survives because they are in Episode 3)

As far as gameplay and whatnot, I don't know if Bioware can do an MMO. It's their first shot at it, so it's either going to be interested and innovative or it's going to be a broken mess. I honestly have no idea. I don't think people quite understand that making an MMO and all that goes into it is NOTHING like a single player console game, Nothing like a multiplayer driven FPS. MMO's (at least a well designed one) have so much more depth and design under the hood that it's almost not even comparable. Support alone can make or break a game.

Can you tell I'm excited by how much I'm babbling?

So...anyone with me on this or am I alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    I won't get excited until I see how the combat and movement works.
    Oh, absolutely. I'm with you on that. If it plays like shit or is an unbalanced unsupported mess, then as sad as it will make me, I won't play it.

Right now I'm pretty sure that after trying Lineage 2, City of Heroes, Warhammer Online and many others that WoW will always be my favorite and recurring MMO.
    Well, as much as people love to hate on WOW (which it always seems to be the ones who don't play it or haven't played it much), there is a reason it's got a small country worth of subscribers. It's story is all right, the classes are fun and unique, it's got serious support behind it, there is a lot of content for the most basic types (PVE,PVP,ENDgame) and even more content for basically every type of mmo player. It is an end all be all and thusly it's successful.

This game however, even if it's only "good" has star wars and that's something WOW can't give me. Then again, I can always play both.

Wolf Master
    You're alone. I loved the KOTOR games, but MMOs are just not my thing. I'll listen to you babble about it after it consumes your life though, and I'll be the first to suggest an intervention when you let the forums fall into disrepair due to your addiction.

[Level 12: CHET]
    Fuck.

Yes.

As I think I've said before, I cannot wait for this game. I'll be there day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter345 View Post
    You're alone. I loved the KOTOR games, but MMOs are just not my thing. I'll listen to you babble about it after it consumes your life though, and I'll be the first to suggest an intervention when you let the forums fall into disrepair due to your addiction.
    LOL

Well, thankfully I do have some self control. I'm not a total lost cause, even for this. My bills with get paid and the forum will still be attended to. However, it will not be surprising if my consoles start collecting serious dust.

Is it just me, or is that friggin Revan?

wait..are they all wearing Revan masks?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

As far as the voicing...whatever. I just hope that they aren't like Bestheda and have like 5 voice actors do 200 different NPCs.
    Yeah, it's a nice touch and while I appreciate it, it's probally going to get tiring to listen to after a while.

Also, do we even known if Jedi and Sith are playable? I don't think they've been confirmed yet.
    If I remember correctly, I say yes. Also bounty hunters. I can't check for sure because their site is getting hammered at the moment.

[Level 12: CHET]
    Also, do we even known if Jedi and Sith are playable? I don't think they've been confirmed yet.
    They are.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I will lose my life.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Jedis and Sith are both playable, as well as bounty hunters and other elite soldiers.

I know the game will be based on a party system comprised of AI partners, and choices made regarding them have a permanent impact on your character's progression.

As for the cinematic: Awesome! It beats the shit out of anything from the prequels.

As for the game: I doubt I'll play. I was sucked into WoW for almost 3 years, and these kind of time sinks don't seem to reap much positive return.

When the game is released and shows itself to be a rewarding RPG experience (hopefully with some action elements, if that trailer is any indication), then I might subscribe to play casually... otherwise, I'll have Diablo 3 to fill that role.

--------------------------
    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Technophile View Post

Is it just me, or is that friggin Revan?

wait..are they all wearing Revan masks?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE
    That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw his cloak lift back.
    Last edited by Arttemis; 06-01-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Adding a quote.

woo..don't even get me started on D3. That's another life sink.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-eve...c-134391.phtml

Something I thought was interesting is that there will be no fetch quests. That's..odd. I mean, cool and all but let's call a spade a spade. Are they just going by another name or is something new (and potentially more annoying) going to replace them?

Like I said earlier. Bioware has never done this. Neither had Blizzard for that matter, so it's either going to be amazing and they bring something new to the genre or it's going to be a poorly planned mess and fall apart under it's own weight.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I don't know anything about Star Wars but that looks really, really awesome.

I don't mind fetch quests as long as they're done like in Warhammer Online. You kill a bear, you get one bear tooth. 100% drop rate, and it's not an item, it's just a check on the list.

I'm still worried for the game though. I mean, the heavy story focus is cool and all, but I wonder how it'll work out. They say that the game is focused on story, but what is there to do when you finish your individual arc and then finish the overall game arc? Would you just repeat it or repeat certain parts like in WoW? Or do you sit around town and /afk like in Final Fantasy XI?
    That's my issue too. I mean, story is very important to me yes. But since they are a new mmo developer, I want to hear that just as much development is going into things like content for all level ranges, end game content, game systems like crafting, how does the economy work and other things like those that make or break an mmo. City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies had the same thing. Ohh our character creators is so awesome (COH)or you will have all these jobs and professions to play (SWG) and what happened with those? COH was (while a very fun game) short on content and shoehorned other standard systems like PVP in very late and poorly. Their content has also fallen off the wayside to the point where the players are basically creating it. SWG, well that was just too ambitious and spent too much time messing with these awesome ideas and lost it's focus early and things because very very broken because of it.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Give me better than "Galaxies" and I'll play it.

The new trailer strikes me as just a ripoff of Darth Krayt's surprise strike on the Ossus Praxeum.

It's still really badass, though. That fight choreography is nothing short of art!

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    It's still really badass, though. That fight choreography is nothing short of art!
    It was excellent, but I'm sure that level of choreography will be parsecs away from what we actually see in-game.

Just as Technophile said, if they can provide fast-paced, action-oriented combat mechanics with a deep and robust economy/crafting system, and plentiful amounts of content for all level ranges (with abundance of material for endgame levels), then I'll be hard pressed to say no.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I'm totally being Dark side. I really hope you there are space battles and the class you are does not limit them.

The Young Brad Nicholson

Quote Originally Posted by Technophile View Post
    Yeah, it's a nice touch and while I appreciate it, it's probally going to get tiring to listen to after a while.

If I remember correctly, I say yes. Also bounty hunters. I can't check for sure because their site is getting hammered at the moment.
    yeah so far they have confirmed jedi, sith, bounty hunter, and smuggler. And I see this game ruining my life by ending friendships, fucking with my job, and ruining my personal health. I'm completely okay with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by HerosPlayDumb View Post
    yeah so far they have confirmed jedi, sith, bounty hunter, and smuggler.
    There's also a "Trooper" class, which is a non-force sensitive, elite, tactical soldier that was trained specifically to fight side-by-side with jedi.

Dibs on a Wookiee Mando'ade.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I want to like this, but I'm afraid of MMO's. I know that I'll get addicted.

Light side ftw!