Thread: Delurkifying myself (hihi!)

Ray of Sunshine

Delurkifying myself (hihi!)

Hey all. I went to the Baltimore NARP this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed myself, so I figure now would be a good time to introduce myself to the community. I've seen enough intro threads where people said, "Hey! We want more actual info on you!" I like to ramble, but you got a scroll bar so just hover over what parts interest you. Also, I'll put in a succinct summary in the end so you can just skip to that if you feel like it.

I'm Jon. Some people like to call me by first and last name (Jon Chang) because it's kind of fun to call me out in a crowd. Also, it's not an issue to say my full name, because there are at least 400+ Jon Changs on facebook, so good luck trying to find the right one. Changston doesn't really have any significant ties to Langston Hughes. I just googled him to see what he looks like, and realized that I confused him with Frederick Douglass (the abolitionist with the crazy hair).

In terms of my gaming history, I've been playing since I was 5 or so. The first memory I had was over at some relative's house and they were sucking at Megaman. I think it was either the Gutsman beginning with the dropping platforms or the Iceman disappearing blocks / face platforms that shoot bullets from their ears. I think I kept pestering them to try it and then when they gave me a chance (assuming they wanted me to shut up), I passed the stage losing a life only once. I'm pretty sure they were like, "...WHA?!" considering I hadn't played a game before then.

I haven't really caught on with the most recent generation of games. The last system I bought was a Wii, which I enjoy but haven't gotten a lot of mileage out of it. I guess if you count me upgrading my PC, that might be most recent gaming purchase. It's my first foray into PC Gaming, but I'm enjoying Left 4 Dead with some of my friends. I'm horrendously awful and I'm also easily startled so they find it amusing when they see me screaming like a 50's woman finding a mouse in the kitchen because a hunter grabbed me from behind.

My top genres: JRPG's used to be my bread and butter. Unfortunately, now that I have a "job," hunkering down with a game is much harder to do. I guess now my main genres are puzzle games (Puzzle Fighter and Tetris Attack being my favorites) and rhythm games. I played DDR since I could drive myself to the indoor amusement park that was shady as all hell, but I don't do that much anymore. I'm sure I can still pull off Cata's and 10-footers, but I'd definitely need a prolonged rest period between songs. I enjoy Rock Band, and I played regularly with my old roommates in a band called Baby in a Jet Engine. I was Pok Gai Zai, which I still don't really get the meaning of but my Cantonese friends say it's insulting enough.

In terms of non-gaming interests, I'm a science nerd. I was super excited when I saw that they cracked the platypus genome and then I looked up more information about the platypus and found out they had 5 pairs of sex chromosomes WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?! I'm a math geek too, the key difference being that I have no useful mathematical knowledge, but I can tell you how to generate any right triangle with integer length sides (like 3/4/5 or 5/12/13, etc, ask me for the proof if you want).

Since I'm a science nerd, I'm going to grad school for my Ph. D in neuroscience. I'm hoping to do research in how the brain adapts to foreign languages, but that's a little too specialized a field that no labs in Baltimore are researching into any great depth. Instead, I'll be looking at how marmosets are capable of localizing sound in a 3d environment and correlating their performance with neural signals (again, if you want me to go into more detail, ask).

When not sciencing or gaming, I play violin. I'm a sucker for learning video game music on it, and I've fiddled around with quite a bit of soundtracks. I've got dreams of playing a video game concert, and I've worked out in my mind how I want to arrange video game tunes for an orchestra. This doesn't really transfer to paper really well though. I did attempt to remake the Legend of Zelda string quartet (with a couple of additions) as a birthday gift to my boyfriend at the time, but it sounded pretty bad so I had to scrap it. Right now, I'm attempting to do a medley of the Duck Tales opening theme with the Moon Stage from the NES. It's freakin' brilliant because the ending chord of the Ducktales opening is the same chord that opens up the Moon Stage so it's a really natural segue.

All righty, I think that about wraps it up.

tl;dr

Name: Jon/Jon Chang/Changston
    Been playing since: 5 years old
    Genres of choice: JRPGs (used to), Rhythm Games (now), Puzzle Games (now)
    Current Systems: PC/Wii/PS2/PS3
    Non-gaming Interests: Science/Classical Music

Look forward to meeting you all on the forums!

(yes, I am a homosexual)
    Last edited by Changston; 03-25-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: a formal declaration

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Are you familiar with Godel, Escher, Bach an Eternal Golden Braid?

Admin / Midget King
    Great intro, welcome to the forums!

Wow, that was an incredible intro. I learned a little bit about abolitionists, platypus sex and classical video game music all in one post. I have to take a minute to let this all sink in, but in the meantime consider yourself welcomed.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Welcome to the forums, we're seeing some seriously awesome intros today!

Also, I'm really not trying to be rude or offend you, but I'm assuming, because of your name, that you're a dude. I was kind of thrown off by the boyfriend comment though, so state your gender, friend. I suppose it really doesn't matter though.
    Again, great fucking intro. We need more people like you on these forums.

Admin / Midget King
    Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineKnight View Post
    Welcome to the forums, we're seeing some seriously awesome intros today!

Also, I'm really not trying to be rude or offend you, but I'm assuming, because of your name, that you're a dude. I was kind of thrown off by the boyfriend comment though, so state your gender, friend. I suppose it really doesn't matter though.
    Again, great fucking intro. We need more people like you on these forums.
    Wow, way to make things awkward there.... :P

I think it's pretty clear he's a dude, and the mention of his boyfriend was a very casual way of saying "oh, by the way, I'm gay/bi" without making a big deal of it. Which now it kinda has become. Sorry man! Not that it matters, since the attitude around here is pretty much as long as it's with a willing partner(s), it's alright. Once again, welcome!

Ray of Sunshine
    @Wookiee: I haven't heard of it, but it seems like an awesome read. While I'm not a big fan of playing baroque music like Bach's, in terms of structure and symmetry, he's freakin' sweet. I'll have to check it out.

@CaffeineKnight: o_q I say, I take great umbrage at your assumptions of my gender, and demand that you be banned immediately. We certainly do NOT need that close minded attitude perverting the forum discussions.

Hopefully the monocle face was able to get the stuffy British accent across. Don't worry about it, it's all cool. Yah, I'm a dude. I actually avoid a majority of the gay population because they're all like, "OMG! ur gay, im gay too, cockcockcockcockcock." Not exactly my thing.

@Mxyzptlk: He can still be a willing partner if he's paid for his services, right?

Thanks for the welcomes everybody!

Wow. What an intro. Welcome to the forums.

Good to see someone from Baltimore. That's my hometown.

You get bonus points for liking Puzzle Fighter

Yeah, sorry to make things awkward. I really wasn't trying to be rude or offending at all I was just curious. I hold no ill will towards anyone for how they choose to live.

/remove awkwardness

Welcome to the forums, excuse my big nose poking in everyone's business.