Page 134 of 252 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 144 184 234 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 5021

Thread: Other Television Series Thread

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    So I just finished Twin Peaks. It was an interesting series, but I'll come out and say this: I hated the finale.

To anyone who plans on watching the show, I have kept this post spoiler-free.

I'm not really a fan of symbolism and metaphorical means, so perhaps David Lynch's work was never for me in the first place. That said, I did enjoy the show and got used to Cooper's weird visions. I had actually hoped that these would be explained in the final episode, as with dozens of other plotholes and unfinished storylines. However, the final episode was possibly the most confusing and ridiculous pieces of television I have ever watched.

When I have to Google an explanation for a scene, that's where entertainment has failed, in my opinion. I'm all for vague endings that open interpretation and discussion though, and I would have preferred that instead to what we got.

While Googling for said explanation, I came across some discussions and reviews of the last episode. The majority were praising its genius and cinematic brilliance. Really? The general consensus seems to be that season 2 lead the series downhill, but the finale was the best episode. This is exact opposite of my feelings towards the show. I preferred season 2 as I found the first season to be pretty boring in places and the introduction of so many characters at once to be confusing. I became more attached to the characters in season 2 and found that the pace was far more enjoyable.

So yeah, I've likely pissed off any Twin Peaks fans here. Sorry! I guess I just don't get it. To clarify again, I'm not a fan of art or surrealism, and I feel that that's all this episode was. Am I really the only one who found it laughable though? I wanted to scream "WHAT?!" at the screen as everything just plunged into madness further and further with each passing second. Jim's Willem Dafoe movie pitches make more sense.

After some reading, I'm aware that Lynch only had limited time to direct the episode, and that he had planned on creating another season. Still, the stupidity of what was happening in the scene, the lack of explanation, the dark and bitter ending, sudden killing of characters (while simultaneously humiliating them), the untied story arcs... Argh! It blows my mind. Seriously, it was like it suddenly changed into some foreign B-movie. I find it amusing that the show was inspired Deadly Premonition, and yet even the insanity that was DP's final chapter made more sense.

Overall, I don't regret watching the series. It was interesting until that point, and unlike anything else I've ever seen. I am pretty disappointed and left with a bitter taste in my mouth though.

Ah well! I'm thinking of watching Dexter next. Yeah, I still haven't watched it. I finished Breaking Bad not long ago which has become my new favourite, and I'm still loving The Walking Dead. Any other recommendations, though?

BJ Honeycut was in tonight's episode of Supernatural.

It was pretty legit.

I was concerned they were jumping the shark with that opening scene, but it was explained throughout the episode and it all tied together to make perfect sense. I should have never doubted Supernatural.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Quote Originally Posted by ReeceH92 View Post
    So I just finished Twin Peaks. It was an interesting series, but I'll come out and say this: I hated the finale.
    Twin Peaks is surreal, but not the point of obscurity. It does lay out the clues early on, and most of the second half to Season 2 digs them back up. Perfect example - remember how Cooper keeps dreaming about the Black Lodge and how he's an old man there? Well, it's not a dream, he's basically forseeing his fate.

You also have to remember how Earle's wife changed him, and how Annie does the same thing. Cooper is seen as infallible, has made himself that way. He really doesn't care for people's problems, only how their motivations affect the case. It's how he solves the murders. But when he meets Annie, he's basically like everyone else - he's fearful and has something to lose. It's the reason why he panics in the Black Lodge.

If you think there's a clear lack of explanation for the last twenty minutes, then you're dead wrong.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Twin Peaks is on my list of things to watch sometime, I keep seeing things being compared to it.

I loved it up until they revealed Laura's killer and it sort of went off the beaten track, after that things just seemed to go downhill. Actually stopped watching it became so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    Finished The Shield, gonna post some final thoughts all in spoilers

Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I loved it up until they revealed Laura's killer and it sort of went off the beaten track, after that things just seemed to go downhill. Actually stopped watching it became so boring.
    Yeah, Season 2 went through a fair share of production problems and it really shows. I mean, it has Billy Zane in it. That's when you know you've got problems! Oh, and that annoying twat from Electric Dreams as that shut-in with Laura's diary. Probably one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

[Level 6: Robot]
    season two, especially towards the end was soooo bad, the dancing dwarf was ballin' though

I'd say Windom Earle was part of that problem. He wasn't in the same league as Laura's killer. He was supposed to be the polar opposite of Cooper, but he just came across as weird for the sake of weird and pulled off some pretty outlandish stuff (the chess piece murder). I enjoyed his comeuppance, though.

[Level 12: CHET]
    AHS:Asylum loves to keep you thinking there's a a break happening for the characters and then at the end of each episode things just get darker.

Spoiler!

[Level 6: Robot]
    Just finished Firefly (haven't watched Serenity yet). I now know where there is such a cult following, it was a fantastic little bloody show.

Next up, Supernatural. Never watched it, only have a few seasons to catch up on... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Artful-dodgeR View Post
    Just finished Firefly (haven't watched Serenity yet). I now know where there is such a cult following, it was a fantastic little bloody show.

Next up, Supernatural. Never watched it, only have a few seasons to catch up on... right?
    It's on its seventh or eighth season now. IS GOOD.

Honkey Kong
    Wish Netflix had The Wire and The Shield.

Grunchkin finally saw American Horror Story as she wouldn't be assed to stream it so had to wait for Netflix to get it. Was fun going through it again though. Can't wait to start the second season.

Haven't given a shit about TWD. I will probably just wait the year or so it takes Netflix to get it as the two episodes from season 3 I've watched were pathetic.

@Artful: Supernatural is awesome. Jealous ZP gets to watch the current season.

I wish The Wire was on netflix too. It being HBO makes me have no hope of that actually happening though.

I was hooked on that first season of American Horror Story and burned through it over the weekend. Really itching to see season two.

Fuck The Walking Dead.

Supernatural is the show other shows aspire to be.

Honkey Kong
    If work hasn't been so busy and I wasn't forcing myself to wait I would be caught up on Season 2 of AHS in a day. I'm trying to let the backlog grow as I burned through the first season just like you did. Show is amazing.

Spoiler!

Overall, a great series. It had some rough patches, and to me, never even got close to it's season 4 peak, but I'm glad I watched it. Now I need a new hour long drama to consume my life, what are your recommendations people?

You know that by saying that, you kinda spoil incoming twists just by making them expected, right?

Either way, I'm only about one episode behind you I think and am just constantly blown away by how good the show is remaining. Once I catch the new one I'll find this post again and actually read the spoilers part.
    Rescue Me or Veronica Mars.

Spoiler!

Overall, a great series. It had some rough patches, and to me, never even got close to it's season 4 peak, but I'm glad I watched it. Now I need a new hour long drama to consume my life, what are your recommendations people?
    Huh, I didn't notice the giant spoiler stuff.

With Billings, if he was a real person I would definitely hate him, but as a character on a TV show I loved his shit.

With Tina, she really existed more to show development in Julian, and to give a contrast to Danny's brand of female cop. She really wasn't ever her own character. Speaking of Julian, his major subplot of coming to terms with his sexuality disappeared halfway through the series, until there was that nod to it towards the end.

[Level 12: CHET]

You know that by saying that, you kinda spoil incoming twists just by making them expected, right?

Either way, I'm only about one episode behind you I think and am just constantly blown away by how good the show is remaining. Once I catch the new one I'll find this post again and actually read the spoilers part.
    Probably aye in hindsight, but to be fair (which is stretching I know) that's what the 1st season did as well

Somehow, I've watched four episodes of Arrow.

Bringer of Truth
    The Walking Dead's third season is alright as of the five or so episodes I've watched. The characters are still awfully written and there's still no plot outside of the characters propagating their survival, but it is kinda interesting to see a villain come to light in all of his 2D glory.
    The only thing that's weirding me out about the third season so far is just how fucking fast they're going. Like holy shit, they're just skipping around like CRAZY now. The telephone already? Damn son.

That said, if nothing else at least TWD will have given us what is shaping up to be an excellent portrayal of The Governor.

I just really hope that despite what happened a few episodes ago, "that" moment still occurs. If AMC has the balls to do the Lori / Judith scene, they win TV.