Page 1 of 268 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Television Series Thread

[Level 2: Human] cancermerchant's Avatar

Other Television Series Thread

I searched and skimmed back through 10 pages of recent threads and didnít see anything similar. Iíll start one up then if itís not too general or vague of a topic or steals any thunder from the Heroes or Lost threads.

Post about random shows you caught flipping through channels, DVD box sets that gave you the opportunity to check out a series you totally missed, how much you hate reality TV, if you think South Park's gone downhill, or you counted how many times Gordon Ramsey said ďfuckĒ in an episode of Kitchen Nightmares and wanted to share, whatever.

I checked out Spaced for the first time as a recommendation because as I wanted to see what Simon Pegg did before movies. Wasnít disappointed, it has the most likable characters ever and I could watch a whole season in a sitting. Watching Simon play RE2 awesomely foreshadowed Shaun of the Dead. I just wish it went on for a little longer.

changed my life
    Arrested Development.

/topic

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Eureka 7: Probably the single best Anime series I have ever watched, by far. I liked the characters, the soundtrack was great, and I liked the character design. Actually, it is probably my favorites series, in general, that I have ever watched. I just wish I had the box set.

Loves you
    Monsters and Tales from the Darkside. Those were some great 80s horror anthology shows.

changed my life
    Also, South Park has totally not gone downhill. The last 3 seasons have been brilliant.

[Level 2: Human]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSadistic View Post
    Monsters and Tales from the Darkside. Those were some great 80s horror anthology shows.
    wow -- takes me back to the college dorm days -- 1AM on a tues night watching with the 2nd floor lounge crew (which unwittingly included my future wife).

Great shows. Love the episode where vampires come out during nuclear winter.

Spaced really is great. Anyone who hasn't seen it before absolutely must, It's only 2 series long so it wont take too long. It's easily pegg's and wright's best work.

[Level 2: Human] cancermerchant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombutler View Post
    Also, South Park has totally not gone downhill. The last 3 seasons have been brilliant.
    Yeah, I'm just echoing what one of my friend's opinions was as he tends to lump Family Guy, Simpsons, and South Park together as network fodder these days. I argue that the former have both lost their satirical edge or at least had it really dulled over time while South Park keeps pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post

House is on my banlist, the last two seasons have been terrible. The show has no direction, it's just going on for the sake of going on.
    House is meandering horribly. I really get the impression that the writers for the life of them can't even begin to allude to a good resolve for House's jadedness or egotism. It's dragging on and on because of it.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Anyone like Dexter? I love it. Wish I didn't miss out on the second season.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I'm addicted to Avatar: The Last Airbender right now.

Also, Chuck

South Park has been one of my favorite TV series since the day it aired. Also, I am a huge fan of Scrubs. I was supremely backed the first time I watched it. That shit is funny as hell.

My list:

LOST
    Dexter
    Robot Chicken
    Metalocalypse

I loved Arrested Development, but not enough people did and it got canceled so the show's ending suffered greatly. I heard there might be a movie in the works, but not much since. Also, old TV, anyone ever watch some of the rare decent programming USA used to have? Duckman, Weird Science? I remember catching those shows after Snick (when it used to be good). I look back on some of the shit I used to watch and think "how the fuck did I grasp any of those concepts? That's way above your head."

Also, when the fuck is Season 3 for Metalocalypse supposed to start?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    To try to ease the pain of Sonic SatAM being canceled before it's time (Yes, It still hurts almost 20 years later) I got the complete Sonic Underground series on DVD which I missed growing up.

It's a completely different animal, but ultimately, I love it!

It kind of mixes the cartoony slapstick of the AoStH and the darker Sonic SatAM.

My only complaint, Jaleel White doing the voices of all three hedgehogs. He pulled off Sonic and Manic's voices just fine, but him doing a feminine voice is just... creepy.

The music kicks ass too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    To try to ease the pain of Sonic SatAM being canceled before it's time (Yes, It still hurts almost 20 years later) I got the complete Sonic Underground series on DVD which I missed growing up.

It's a completely different animal, but ultimately, I love it!

It kind of mixes the cartoony slapstick of the AoStH and the darker Sonic SatAM.

My only complaint, Jaleel White doing the voices of all three hedgehogs. He pulled off Sonic and Manic's voices just fine, but him doing a feminine voice is just... creepy.

The music kicks ass too.
    Really?

I thought this show was terrible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWq87H7XYYM

"They made a promise, their mother will be fooo-uuund! Sonic Underground!"

Any song with the lyrics "freedom fight", "prophecy", "seek their mother", "seal their fate" is pretty much guaranteed to be awful. However, I do get the nostalgia thing. I used to yearn for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and that was a TERRIBLE program.

I agree Simpsons has been on lame-ass cruise control since about 2002. As my wife intoned last night "how many school-related plots can they churn out and expect to hold our interest?"

Family Guy has been bad all season. Seriously, animal cruelty (Quagmire's cat and the neuorlogically impaired horse) aren't funny. Edgy does not always equal funny. Sometimes it just makes the audience think you got a bad dose of meth.

South Park has been pretty good this year -- I didn't enjoy the queef episode so much as I was watching it, but all day at work the next day, I was stifling immature giggling.

What do people think of Better off Ted? Some parts were lame, but the malfunctioning sensor episode was funny and well-executed in an understated way. And Portia de Rossi has some kind of death grip on my testes (in a good way).

Quote Originally Posted by cancermerchant View Post
    or you counted how many times Gordon Ramsey said ďfuckĒ in an episode of Kitchen Nightmares and wanted to share, whatever.
    I've actually done that....

I was watching the UK episodes in Kitchen Nightmares. I remember getting to 15 "fucks" around the shows halfway point.

It just goes with me saying... "Fuck" is so overused these days. it's lost its impact

Beast Master
    Lost and It's Always Sunny already have threads, I've taked a lot about [adult swim] in other threads, Spaced has been mentioned... Other favorites of mine are The Shield and Rescue Me.

The Shield drew me in so completely each week. I fucking loved those characters, and was on the edge of my seat each episode. Back when they'd rerun the week's new episode immediately after I'd stay up to see it twice. I know nothing about real cops, but it all seemed so "real" just the same. The people on the show grew and changed throughout the seasons. I started out hating Aceveda, but by the end grew to like/respect him. I started out rooting for Vic, but by the final season hated him for his hypocrisy and hate. Shane, Lem, Ronnie, Dutchboy, even Billings, I could go on and on. This show had more characters I cared about than any other. Throw in unexpected but phenomenal turns by folks like Anthony Anderson, Forest Whitaker and Glenn Close and there's lots of great acting on display. I'm kinda obsessed with The Shield, and would highly recommend each season.

Rescue Me is another stellar FX show, loads of great drama with equal amounts of great laughs. Again, it's a show stacked with great characters you want to watch and see what happens to, from the leads to the periphery. Another one I can honestly recommend every season of, and this one's still going strong on the air. The latest season just started a few weeks back.

As for comedies, I love The Kids in the Hall and Mystery Science Theater 3000. Late '80s to early '90s SNL is my favorite era, Phil Hartman being my faovrite all-time cast member, but there's something to like about almost every cast. I really love a lot of shows, but I'll leave it at this for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeHasHands View Post

Family Guy has been bad all season. Seriously, animal cruelty (Quagmire's cat and the neuorlogically impaired horse) aren't funny. Edgy does not always equal funny. Sometimes it just makes the audience think you got a bad dose of meth.
    It really used to be funny but since they came back on the air they just became a parody of themselves with the stupid "like the time I did ___" where they cut to some random nonsense every 5 mins and fill the rest with over the top violence that is more uncomfortable then humorous (like when Stewie shoots Brian's kneecaps out and beats the shit outta him over some money).

I don't have many shows I go out of my way to watch, due to not having any control over my time in the evenings. Currently I'm really into Hell's Kitchen and I'll watch Law and Order SVU if I have time during the afternoons. Also, Penguins of Madagascar on Nickelodeon when the kiddo is watching with me cuz we both enjoy that.

South Park fucking blows. That shit was funny years ago, now they're all about doing the preachy libertarian thing every episode...I laughed maybe once during the Kanye West/fish sticks episode.

Family Guy still has its moments, but for the most part it has taken a steep decline. Ridiculously long chicken fights, goddamn 3 minutes of Conway Twitty, that Donnie Most rising from the mist "skit"...come the fuck on. The weed episode from a few weeks ago had some moments, but that show has . Also, even as a liberal, I find the show to be way too heavy handed at times...pretty much the far left wing version of South Park's preachy-ness.

The Simpsons? Show hasn't been interesting in years, but when it was, it was gold. I get to catch reruns during my afternoon workouts, though in Closed Captioning (though sometimes that can be even more hilarious). I really need to pick up some of those seasons on DVD.

Futurama? I miss it.

Currently my favorites are most of Adult Swim's lineup, and It's Always Sunny...we have threads on both of those, so I just figured to use this space to bitch about shows that used to be grand but are either non-existent or horrible now.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Ive been watching alot of old tv shows. Stuff like Mash, All in the Family, and Soap. I mostly watch whatevers on adult swim but some of the better shows are not showing new episodes anymore (Sealab 2021, Space Ghost, ect.) and stuff like the simpsons and southpark have just lost my interest.