Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Earth overpopulation

[Level 7: Sentinel]

Earth overpopulation

Warning this is not a thread about pro-life, pro-choice. This thread is not to debate individual cases and exceptions. This thread is about world population, emotion and feelings are not welcome. This thread is a matter of life quality, sociology, ecology and sustainability.

what is overpopulation : Overpopulation is a condition where an organism's numbers exceed the carrying capacity of its habitat. In common parlance, the term usually refers to the relationship between the human population and its environment, the Earth (thanks to wikipedia)

So here we are talking about a closed system (the earth) and it's capacity at sustaining the current/planned population.

Fact: 1. At the current rate earth's population will reach 9 billion by 2050
    2. there's strong inequality in the planet's resources distribution. (also linked to ecologic footprint)
    3. North American standard of living is not attainable for 9 billion individuals.
    4. Even at the current rate of consumption resources are depleting.

The reason why I don't want this to be an abortion related thread is that because we have to take into account fertility rate in developed country is less than 2, so in the next 40 years there is no change in the population for those countries. The main reason for that is planed parenthood, less desire to have kids, women right.

Idea that I think are good measures against overpopulation.

Birth credits
    Demographers determine what level of fertility is needed to insure zero population growth. Birth credits are issued to every person who has not yet had a child. These credits can be sold, purchased, or given away. If a couple wants more than children than is allotted they would have to buy more credits. If someone does not want children they can sell their credits. Ironically, even though the credits are “marketable”

more info on that : http://michaelearth.com/herc_II.htm

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    RACIST!

Loves you
    Soylent Green.

Gym Leader
    I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to pop up.

Pwnd
    Spaghettio.

That don't bode well for Mother Earth.

Admin / Midget King
    The problem is, when it comes to someone's right to have as many or as few children as they want, emotions and feelings are invariably going to come into it. There's going to be a significant number of people (whether it's for religious or philosophical reasons) who feel that the government has no right to stick their nose into this area. Even though zero population growth is an admirable goal, the likeihood of it being enforced on a large scale is basically nonexistent (especially in poorer, less developed countries).

[Level 12: CHET]
    I could be completely wrong here, but wont the developing countries with high populations and birth rates develop similar to countries like England and the US (I forget the term to describe those types of nations) with an increase in women's rights and less of a desire to pop out a kid every year?

Either way, I don't think we should worry too much. There will be another world war or epidemic by 2050 and eventually we'll have another planet to inhabit. And you can't go killing people for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    The problem is, when it comes to someone's right to have as many or as few children as they want, emotions and feelings are invariably going to come into it. There's going to be a significant number of people (whether it's for religious or philosophical reasons) who feel that the government has no right to stick their nose into this area. Even though zero population growth is an admirable goal, the likeihood of it being enforced on a large scale is basically nonexistent (especially in poorer, less developed countries).
    We can keep our head in the sand, but one day there won't be anymore sand for that and we'll have to face fact that things are out of control.

We don't need to have radical solutions right now, just planed parenthood in third world country would be a great start, but the Vatican has their head so high up their own asses that it's right now not something feasible

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    How many new shows are there on channels like TLC where the families have like 20 children? There's no way we'll ever get to zero population growth in America. Not while Mormons are still practicing.

[Level 5: Mech]
    The solution to overpopulation?

Unreal Tournament. Real life.

Pwnd
    The big thing that has led to the population explosion is hygiene and all the crazy advances in medicine. A century ago, doctors didn't even wash their hands before they went in to perform surgery on someone. These past hundred years, the world population has tripled because the number of people dying of disease dropped dramatically, and people born with diseases and disabilities are being made to survive to adulthood, and have children as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spectre View Post
    I could be completely wrong here, but wont the developing countries with high populations and birth rates develop similar to countries like England and the US (I forget the term to describe those types of nations) with an increase in women's rights and less of a desire to pop out a kid every year?

Either way, I don't think we should worry too much. There will be another world war or epidemic by 2050 and eventually we'll have another planet to inhabit. And you can't go killing people for the hell of it.
    If you're talking about industrial revolution, not it won't happen given the nature of capitalism, the inequality between classes is not reducing as it was in England/US a century ago but the gap is getting wider. As of right now the production of goods/food/water is not high enough to create an equal share for everyone.

ART GOD
    I'm still praying for that zombie apocalypse. I feel like I've been preparing for it my whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaDukes View Post
    How many new shows are there on channels like TLC where the families have like 20 children? There's no way we'll ever get to zero population growth in America. Not while Mormons are still practicing.
    we have essentialy what is a zero population growth in North america

[Level 12: CHET]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm still praying for that zombie apocalypse. I feel like I've been preparing for it my whole life.
    I'd be so happy. We'll need to form a Destructoid squad. Where is the meeting spot? We should build a bunker too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinder View Post
    The big thing that has led to the population explosion is hygiene and all the crazy advances in medicine. A century ago, doctors didn't even wash their hands before they went in to perform surgery on someone. These past hundred years, the world population has tripled because the number of people dying of disease dropped dramatically, and people born with diseases and disabilities are being made to survive to adulthood, and have children as a result.
    Also called the miracle of Vaccination

Another solution would be to stop vaccination for new born, therefore bringing back the natural selection in the equation

I'm all for the idea that not everyone should be allowed to have kids, the news is full of prime examples of grade A parenting every night, but the problem with what you propose is that you can't regulate a bodily function. Hell, people aren't even smart enough to use birth control the majority of the time so suppose they went and got pregnant without the birthcredit? Is the baby's life automatically forfeit? Do they have a certain amount of time after conception to obtain a credit before the government steps in?

Also, this thread reminds me of a captain planet episode where they met these mouse people who's planet is destroyed because they kept reproducing. Really freaked me out as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spectre View Post
    I'd be so happy. We'll need to form a Destructoid squad. Where is the meeting spot? We should build a bunker too.
    I read the Zombie Survival guide recently and would be happy to help to rebuild humanity with you guys.

EDIT: 200th post
    Last edited by Corican; 03-24-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: 200

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Also called the miracle of Vaccination

Another solution would be to stop vaccination for new born, therefore bringing back the natural selection in the equation
    Actually there are quite a few parents who aren't vaccinating anymore because someone somewhere is trying to link it to the rise in autism. I call BS on this, but thanks to the internet everyone who can google is an expert.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Well I mean in China you're already only allowed to have 1 kid, but the problem with that is that anyone born a girl is thrown into the trash because they don't want their one child being as they call "useless". I'm not trying to be racist or anything, just stating the facts.

On the other hand, in other countries like mine in Canada, we are highly underpopulated for the size of our country and our resources. We need to make teh babies! Also, I'm a big fan on adopting. Why make your own babies when there are already so many in this world that need a good home? That's what I'll probably do someday.