Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dtoid New England, Interested?

YOUR SHIT IS OVER, FAKE MUSHROOM!
    Nice! Thanks for joining up. I don't miss a single episode of Retroforce haha it's fun to reminisce about the games of old and to hear about games I've never played. I'm not much of a retrogamer. I'll suddenly get an urge to play and not finish a bunch of games. For instance, recently I was playing ninja gaiden I made it up to act 4 - 2 and just about had enough of birds, bats and jumping ninjas. Before that I don't think played a retrogame for months.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Ok, to help facilitate local chatter, what independent gaming stores does everyone know of? Personally I only really know of 3 in MA. Well I guess 4. There is:

That's Entertainment in Worcester (www.thatse.com) which helped me build my collection of games and also helped me turn a nice profit on reselling all the games they sold. That was before they got wise to video game pricing, now they don't have all the deals they used to, but still a good place to go for games at decent prices. They also have a location in Fitchburg that has a MUCH smaller gaming selection, but you can catch some good deals up there as they don't have consistant prices from store to store (or even sometimes from game to game, I used to pick through boxes to find the cheapest version of a game).

Game Universe in Framingham: Cool place to stop by, sometimes can find some random games there if you get lucky. Seems more about the community though, you'll always find a half dozen people there playing some sort of game on the numerous tvs. I've never actually tried to make friends here, though its probably cause I stop by when I'm driving around for work so I feel guilty if I stay too long.

Video Game Castle in Holyoke (and Palmer, never been there): This is the place to go to find that random ass piece of gaming history that you'll never find ANYWHERE else. I've picked up completely weird things like an Xband for a snes (multiplayer games through your phone line) this weird controller with two flightsticks for playstation, no idea what it was made for but its fantastic for Descent. Prices are decent, old owner guy is kind of a jerk but he does know his stuff, kinda like comic book guy in the simpsons, and his assistant old dude is mostly clueless. But if you need that random thing and don't want to deal with ebay, hes probably got it hidden somewhere in the back, just ask.

Game Zone in Salem MA: Not sure how this store stays in business, pretty pricey for what they've got, poor selection, and who seemed to be the owner or at least the manager is a bitch and doesn't know her stuff. Course it was an argument over how many games the Virtual Boy had so some of you might not care about that deep of stuff, but eventually I just gave up cause she obviously knew everything and I wasn't going to convince her of anything. I stop by when I'm in town, but usually leave with nothing.

Play N Trade Walpole MA, Providence RI, Londonderry NH: Smaller chain but has pretty good stuff. Still carries older games, even had some Atari and Intellivision stuff in the Walpole location last time I was there. Decent prices, friendly staff (at least at Walpole) needs a bit more stock though, but that may have changed as when I last went they were only about 6 months old, and its been 6-9 months since I was there.

Ok so that turned into 5 maybe 7 stores, depending on how you count the stores with two locations. Anything else in the New England area that I don't know about? There has to be something in Maine, I've only been there twice so I haven't had a chance to find game stores up there.

Damn, Game Zone is the only store I knew of. This doesn't help you but it was great seeing that these places exist around here

[Level 12: CHET]
    I still say we just go to the gigantic Providence Place mall and go to Dave & Busters.

Senisan: Whats your opinion on Game Zone? Or have you only been there once seeing that you live pretty far away.

Sam: I'm up for D&B, though I'd prefer Jillians in Worcester because a) its 3 minutes away from me and b) its cheaper, at least it was last time I've been to either of those places. Dave and Busters has WICKED expensive booze. Also, pool tables.

I've been there a few times and always thought it was cool. It's pretty small but the clerks really know their games and they sell all kind of systems and games, new and old. If I remember correctly I believe they even let you rent out games. I never met the manager lady you mentioned. The times I went there was an older gentlemen who was very friendly...a little strange though. Mind you, it's the only independent store I've been to. I'm pretty sure there are much better places. That's Entertainment and the Holyoke store sound amazing.

Yea, pricey booze and they don't care about their arcades! The waiter we had was very rude as well...not an entirely great experience. have you ever been there Sam?

It seems like we may have something on the horizon. There are plans to go to an arcade in Laconia, NH called Funspot Home of the Largest Arcade in the World! on the 27th of June. If you haven't joined the google group yet please do and give some feedback. I've never been there but I have an idea of what to expect

Quote Originally Posted by Senisan82 View Post
    Yea, pricey booze and they don't care about their arcades! The waiter we had was very rude as well...not an entirely great experience. have you ever been there Sam?
    I've been there and yes it's kind of expensive but I've only ever gone with my parents because they don't let you in if you're under 18 and without an adult (stupid). I think they have good group rates though and I might be able to get us an even better rate if we pretend to be a Fidelity company event because I think I could get us a discount that way.

It seems like we may have something on the horizon. There are plans to go to an arcade in Laconia, NH called Funspot Home of the Largest Arcade in the World! on the 27th of June. If you haven't joined the google group yet please do and give some feedback. I've never been there but I have an idea of what to expect
    Sounds like fun but I'll be on vacation :/

Trip to Funspot in two weeks is pretty much confirmed. People should be driving up from Worcester and Boston, we have a maybe from someone in Jersey(!). Should be a pretty fun time at one of the best arcades in the world.

Don't forget your coupon, 150 tokens for 20 bucks! Should last you about 6 hours by yourself if you blow through the tokens, last me about 3-4 hours as a couple with the g/f last time.

www.funspotnh.com for directions and coupons.

I just typed up a blog post announcing the Funspot get together. Linkage

I just typed up a blog post announcing the Funspot get together. Linkage
    What the hell guys I'm going to be out of the country then!

At least I can creep on all the pics to figure out who you all are.

Ok, we'll get a group shot of our Daytona Competition. I want to fill up that machine with just Destructoid peeps.

I forgot to post in the forums the c-blog I put up which is just simply a reminder of this Saturday. Linkage below!

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Dto...--137354.phtml

Anyone interested in organizing a big Dtoid NE meetup next month?

Smooth Operator
    I don't know about organizing, but I'd love to attend!

That's not a knife...
    you cuntfucks! Why couldn't you title it as Amercia?

I was unaware there is a New England overseas XP

That's not a knife...
    I was unaware there is a New England overseas XP
    It could be a metaphor. Like it's a new style of England or I dunno ... fuck

England 2.0