Thread: Unofficial Dtoid Pokemon league: Signups and Rules

[Level 2: Human]

Unofficial Dtoid Pokemon league: Signups and Rules

All right. From my previous post and Cblog it appears as though there is enough interest in some sort of digital cockfighting organization to make it worth pursuing. SO!

Here's what I need from every participant. You can post it in this thread or send it to Qalamari {at} gmail {dot} com.

1.) "Pal pad" code from your DS game AND/OR Wii friend code+Pokemon Battle Revolution code. Preferably both if you own `em.

2.) Contact information. At the very least an e-mail address so I can get people in touch with their intended opponent. I've found it's extremely difficult to coordinate online battles without some third party method of communication, so any IM clients you use, Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, AIM, even Steam. If you'd prefer to stay anonymous, just list which of those you have access to and I'll only ask for them as needed.

3.) OPTIONAL: What times of the week/day you're available. My schedule is completely jacked up, as you may have been able to infer from the fact that I'm posting this at 5 in the morning on Valentine's day. Knowing what times you'd be available to coordinate would be helpful, but isn't strictly necessary.

Rules-These are open to debate until we actually begin the tournament. The following are some I came up with, I welcome others' input.

A.) If both combatants agree to a different set of rules before their match, whatever ruleset they agree upon beforehand supercedes the following rules. Please make sure both parties understand the rules before beginning your match.

B.) The following Pokemon are considered illegal for this tournament. #150 Mewtwo, #151 Mew, #249 Lugia, #250 Ho-oh, #251 Celebi, #382 Kyogre, #383 Groudon, #384 Rayquaza, #385 Jirachi, #386 Deoxys, #483 Dialga, #484 Palkia, #487 Giratina, #490 Manaphy, #491 Darkrai, #492 Shaymin, #493 Arceus.

Each team may contain no more than ONE from the following list. #144 Articuno, #145 Zapdos, #146 Moltres, #202 Wobbuffet, #242 Blissey, #243 Raikou, #244 Entei, #245 Suicune, #377 Regirock, #378 Regice, #379 Registeel, #380 Latias, #381 Latios, #480 Uxie, #481 Mesprit, #482 Azelf #485 Heatran, #486 Regigigas, #488 Cresselia.

I tried to make this list based on comparitive power. If you think some should be moved from one list to the other let me know and I'll take it into consideration.

C.) All pokemon on the same team must be unique: that is to say you may not have two of the same species on the same team. Having a Porygon-2 and a Porygon-Z on the same team is fine, having two Porygon-Z is not.

D.) Each pokemon must have a different hold item. No fair giving everyone Leftovers.

E.) All matches will be Single battles with teams of 6 at the Level 50 rank. Wi-fi battles will autobalance everyone's pokemon to level 50 at this rank, whether their actual level is higher or lower.

F.) From the time I mail out the battle assignments you'll have one week to coordinate with your partner and battle one another. Once the battle is completed, BOTH parties please e-mail me the results at the above address. If you are unable to coordinate with one another during the week, both parties forfeit. If I only get results from one person or get conflicting reports about the results of a battle, the party I get results from LAST will be the ones I go with. Results will be posted weekly in my Cblog until the tournament has a champion, what time is yet to be determined.

G.) Finally and perhaps most important, don't be a douche. We're all playing this to have fun, don't bring your hacked l. 200 shiny monstrosities into it. There's literally nothing at stake here. If you want to grief people, go play something else.

I think that's everything. If I forgot something or you have other suggestions, post them in this thread and I'll alter this initial post as events dictate.

Q

EDIT: added Wobbuffet and Blissey to restricted list.

Sign me up

Just going to put it out there that the best rules would be

6 on 6
    Item clause - 1 of each item
    No Ubers - No legendaries .Wobbufet or blissy
    ( Wobbufet vs Wobbuffet =Will cause either 50 turns of boredom or a Draw,Blissey has stats bigger than most legends)

I dont think sleep cause will be needed , if anyone has brelooms or likes to put things asleep your team should be able to be ok.

Overall i think this could be preety cool.

Danl Cottontail
    Name: Danl
    Pal pad: 4038 2472 1151
    Contact: email: danlspot at gmail dot com, you're welcome to PM me on these forums, or sending me a message on Steam would probably be a very quick way to get in touch with me. My steam name is DanlHaas. I also use Ventrilo, if that's something you're into.

Like I said, I'm not really familiar with the Pokemon competitive scene, I'm more of a collector, so I'm not in a position to debate the rules. They look just fine to me.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Yeah..i gotta say I'd prefer if wobby gets banned (and maybe blissey)

I got nothing against the big W, but get two of them in a match together and you're looking at one heck of a long and annoying fight.

Wants to be the very best. Like no one ever was.
    I'd be interested but I have had a history of difficulty with using my DS's Wifi connection. Mainly because the last time I tried it said it couldn't connect to the internet through my wireless router. I have a different wireless router now so hopefully it will work. I will test it out and get back to you.

[Level 12: CHET]
    lol @ every pokemon game after gold and silver.

Hm, OK. I can see how it'd be frustrating to have two on the field that not only can't attack but can't switch out. Struggle battles suck. I'll move Wobbles and Blissey to the restricted list. Still, I'd like for people to be able to use at least some of their neat stuff, that's why I'd prefer not to ban legends and one-per-cart critters out of hand.

Riotmonster proposed adding the sleep clause to the rules, only one on your bench can be asleep at a time. Thoughts?

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    name: Unicorn
    AIM: ADivineUnicorn (i'm ALWAYS on)
    Pearl Code: 3179-2552-5062

i have Battle Revolution, but find it highly boring since neither pokemon, nor stadium has been good since gold/silver and stadium 2.

[Level 5: Mech]
    My connection while at home has always been something of an issue, but that's only because for whatever reason, my DS can't pick up my router's signal at my desk, and I have to go on the other side of my (10x12ft) room to pick it up.

In other words: I'm so down, and here's my info:

Friend code: 1461-6117-7675
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/wexxy
    Email: Wesgaddis@gmail.com

I'm also in the Dtoid IRC channel pretty much 24/7, so you can PM me there as well.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Qalamari View Post
    Still, I'd like for people to be able to use at least some of their neat stuff, that's why I'd prefer not to ban legends and one-per-cart critters out of hand.
    If this becomes a success, maybe we can have a full on Legendaries Tournament.
    We'll put out the best of the best and see the bloodbath.

Btw,
    Friend Code: 0473-6524-1413
    AIM: MechaRiotMonster

Also,
    The way I ran the tournament at Pwned.com, was with these rules. Sooo not trying to push any of these on you but it's just how I'm used to playing, hehe.
    1: NO UBERS ALLOWED
    2: Berries and held items ALLOWED
    3: Level Matching WILL BE USED
    4: NO ILLEGAL HACKS!!
    5: Self-KO Clause in effect.
    6: Evasion Clause in effect.
    7: OHKO Clause in effect.
    8: Sleep Clause in effect.
    9: Species Clause in effect.
    10: Freeze Clause in effect.

===============================================

For those who don't know all of the clauses, here's a breakdown.

Evasion Clause - You and your opponent can not use evasion increasing moves like double team and minimize. This clause does not include Accuracy reducing moves, as this is considered Pseudo Phazer.

Legit/Legal Clause - None of the pokemon can have illegal movesets, 999 in all stats, 255 EVs in all stats, 31 IVs in all stats, or have been caught in places that they normally wouldn't have been caught at. An example of an illegal moveset would be would be a Magnezone with Flamethrower or Salamance with Ice Beam.

OHKO Clause - You and your opponent can not use moves that causes instant one-hit knockouts. Some examples would be sheer cold, fissure, and guillotine.

Sleep Clause - Only one pokemon can be put to sleep (on your side of the field) at a time. The only time your opponent can use another sleep move is when your pokemon either wakes up or faints, then your opponent can use a sleep move again. The move Rest does not count toward sleep clause, so if your opponent were to put a Pokemon asleep because of Rest, you can still use a sleep inducing move on your opponent. If you put to sleep a Pokemon that has the ability Natural Cure and your opponent switches out this Pokemon, you can put to sleep pokemon without breaking this clause.

Species Clause - You and your opponent can not use more then one of the same pokemon. This means that you or your opponent can not use two Infernapes or Garchomps or two of the same pokemon in general. Or 6 Magikarps.. *mumbles* Stupid trainer in the game...

Uber Clause - You and your opponent can not use ubers in a battle. Refer to the link at the bottom of this post for the tier list.

Focus Sash/Choice Item Clause - You and your opponent can not use more than one focus sash and choice items (choice scarf, choice specs, choice band) in a battle.

Freeze Clause - You and your opponent can not use moves that can freeze you after a Pokemon has already been frozen. You will have to wait for the frozen Pokemon to faint or thaw out before you can use another move that can possibly cause a freeze. Even though that it is a rare occurance to freeze your opponent's Pokemon, not many people feel like losing due to a freeze. A few moves that cause freeze would be Ice Punch, Ice Beam, Blizzard, and Powder Snow.

Item Clause - You and your opponent can not use Pokemon that hold the same items on their team. Leftovers is usually excluded from Item Clause, but it is up to the person who uses the Clause. Items that have the same effect, like Leftovers, do not count as the same Item.

Self-KO clause - You and your opponent can not use moves that KO yourself when it is your last Pokemon vs your opponent's last Pokemon. This is to avoid draws in battle. Some examples are Self-Destruct and Explosion. Destiny Bond does fall under this clause if it works.

Skarmbliss/SkarmCressBliss Clause - You and your opponent can not use skarmory and blissey (and Cresselia, if you are using SkarmCressBliss Clause) on the same team. You can only have one of them on your team.

Only five people have sent me their information so far, all of them in this thread. C'mon guys, need you to do better than that or this is gonna be a really short tournament.

I think we'll leave the sleep/freeze/OHKO/evade stuff out of this one for now. If it becomes a problem we can change the rules for the second tourney.

Still need some more bodies in this to make it worth doing. I've decided to sweeten the deal and call for more participants in my Cblog. I'll be closing signups this Sunday night, so if you're even mildly interested please sign up before then. I'd hate to call it off but if there aren't enough people willing to sign up, I'll have to cancel the thing due to lack of interest. >_<

Q

[Level 3: Humanoid]

Pokemon FC: 4511 3212 5717

AIM: MOG6400
    e-mail: robo_petey [at] hotmail.com

Okay, I'm in. Heres my info:

Palpad: 3823-6417-5172
    AIM: pacmanneedspills
    email: gregweb8@gmail.com

If anyone runs across Scary Womanizing Pig Mask, NihonTiger90, EarthbounderNess or Jonathan Holmes could you please let them know I need their information? Each of them said they'd like to play but haven't followed up yet. We have seven signed up right now counting myself, we'll need at least one more to have even brackets. I know I said I'd cancel this if there were less than 8 at the end of Sunday but that doesn't seem fair to those of you who did take the time to sign up. Provided I get one more person's info, it looks like we'll have just enough for a short tournament. Look for a bracket and further information starting on Wednesday.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Sorry I didn't post sooner! I've been trying to find my cartridge, and have only now succeed. (It was in my Metal Gear Solid case, no clue why >.<) is it to late to sign up?

gmail: scarywomanizingpigmask@gmail.com
    steam: Scary Womanizing Pig Mask
    Poke Friend Code: 1375 3763 7035