Thread: Retro Euro

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]

Retro Euro

Has Retroforce Go ever done a show about Retro gaming in europe?

Europe had a very different eighties to USA and Japan, with a healthy market of microcomputers such as the ZX Spectrum. The Commodore 64 was also very popular here, along with the Amstrad CPC and a bunch of other devices too. We had a culture of home-grown programming talent, where games were made by one or two people, and these were cheap enough do develop that they could be sold for just 1.99 (US$3 or so) in supermarkets and lots of other places.

We then moved on to the Amiga and Atari ST having a massive impact, and it taking some time until consoles took over in terms of popularity.

So, would you like to see Retroforce tackle a Euro show one time, or do you think it might be too difficult as they won't have any memories of their own to contribute?

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    I'm pretty sure they haven't and they probably won't, since they are American they probably never experienced the "joy" of loading a tape game and waiting ages for it to load!

I think the US had all these formats, but they were never as popular as in Europe...

They could invite Jim Sterling, but I don't even know if he had a Speccy, C-64 or similar...

[Level 2: Human]
    i remember those times. it was 1988 and i played "Giana Sisters" on the C64 over at a friends house. I wanted a C64 so badly, but i never got one. They were to expensive over here in germany. Then 1990 came and i got a game boy for christmas. this little thing was my gateway drug into video games. i recently bought an old game boy classic. its the only retro machine i own.

I remember how my C64 died in the middle of my newly purchased Rainbow Islands... T_T

[Level 6: Robot]
    I had me some Amiga action when I was like 6. I had a huge stack of floppy disks for it. Dont have a fucking clue what has happened to any of those now.

Im not gonna get nostalgic about it cause that thing really sucked balls in a big way.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I loved my C64 so much as a kid. Dizzy, Bombjack, ghostbusters and so so many text adventures, thing get me entertained for years.

I can even remember picking up a ton of programming magazines from a coffee morning for 1 and as a a little 9 year old trying to get my head round BASIC, I was so proud when I was able to get a sprite moving about the screen controlled by my joystick.

Oh and I even had streetfighter II, so yeah I know the C64 couldn't do everything. Still kicked the speccys ass, SID chip!!!

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dock View Post
    So, would you like to see Retroforce tackle a Euro show one time, or do you think it might be too difficult as they won't have any memories of their own to contribute?
    Sounds like a good idea, but considering none of the cast even know what Terranigma is I'm pretty sure the show will be as follows:

*old announcer intro plays*
    Dyson: Aaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddd Welcome, to RetroforceGO! Today we're talking about retro gaming in Europe!
    Everyone: I don't know anything about that
    Dyson: Goodnight everybody!
    *Bit Shifter song plays*

Quote Originally Posted by garrfunkel View Post
    I had me some Amiga action when I was like 6. I had a huge stack of floppy disks for it. Dont have a fucking clue what has happened to any of those now.

Im not gonna get nostalgic about it cause that thing really sucked balls in a big way.
    You hated your Amiga? How is that even possible? I loved mine!

Did you simply not have any cool game to play on it?

[Level 7: Sentinel]

I still love this thing.

I think it would be a better idea if the Podcastle crew made a Retro gaming episode instead.

Not surprised that Amiga's and Commodore 64's was popular in Europe. After all, a console that required you to connect to a TV, was suffering from games running 17,5% slower than the American and Japanese versions. Also, it's amusing how Nintendo gets away with charging us extra for these inferior versions on VC.

[Level 5: Mech]
    In Ireland and England (at least) Sega was far more popular than Ninty up until the Saturn, which is where they floundered spectacularly.

I think that's worthy of a Podcastle episode in and of itself.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I'll pass these ideas on to Jim and the Drox.

I'm curious as to what non-programming-specific game magazines existed in the UK (let's say before 2000), as well as what you thought about them.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukitsune View Post
    You hated your Amiga? How is that even possible? I loved mine!

Did you simply not have any cool game to play on it?
    I got my amiga around the time everyone else was getting their NESs and Master Systems so I really wanted to upgrade.

I was young and foolish and just wanted to play some Mario.

is ↓ → fierce
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, but considering none of the cast even know what Terranigma is I'm pretty sure the show will be as follows:

Dyson: Aaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddd Welcome, to RetroforceGO! Today we're talking about retro gaming in Europe!
    *Bit Shifter song plays*
    I know what Terranigma is :P

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post

*Bit Shifter song plays*
    Terranigma? The SNES game? What does that have to do with European gaming?

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukitsune View Post
    Terranigma? The SNES game? What does that have to do with European gaming?
    It only came out in Europe and Japan. It was a great game too, but I've never finished it.