Thread: Retro Euro

Retro Euro

Has Retroforce Go ever done a show about Retro gaming in europe?

Europe had a very different eighties to USA and Japan, with a healthy market of microcomputers such as the ZX Spectrum. The Commodore 64 was also very popular here, along with the Amstrad CPC and a bunch of other devices too. We had a culture of home-grown programming talent, where games were made by one or two people, and these were cheap enough do develop that they could be sold for just 1.99 (US$3 or so) in supermarkets and lots of other places.

We then moved on to the Amiga and Atari ST having a massive impact, and it taking some time until consoles took over in terms of popularity.

So, would you like to see Retroforce tackle a Euro show one time, or do you think it might be too difficult as they won't have any memories of their own to contribute?

I'm pretty sure they haven't and they probably won't, since they are American they probably never experienced the "joy" of loading a tape game and waiting ages for it to load!

I think the US had all these formats, but they were never as popular as in Europe...

They could invite Jim Sterling, but I don't even know if he had a Speccy, C-64 or similar...

i remember those times. it was 1988 and i played "Giana Sisters" on the C64 over at a friends house. I wanted a C64 so badly, but i never got one. They were to expensive over here in germany. Then 1990 came and i got a game boy for christmas. this little thing was my gateway drug into video games. i recently bought an old game boy classic. its the only retro machine i own.

I remember how my C64 died in the middle of my newly purchased Rainbow Islands... T_T

[Level 6: Robot]
    I had me some Amiga action when I was like 6. I had a huge stack of floppy disks for it. Dont have a fucking clue what has happened to any of those now.

Im not gonna get nostalgic about it cause that thing really sucked balls in a big way.

I loved my C64 so much as a kid. Dizzy, Bombjack, ghostbusters and so so many text adventures, thing get me entertained for years.

I can even remember picking up a ton of programming magazines from a coffee morning for 1 and as a a little 9 year old trying to get my head round BASIC, I was so proud when I was able to get a sprite moving about the screen controlled by my joystick.

Oh and I even had streetfighter II, so yeah I know the C64 couldn't do everything. Still kicked the speccys ass, SID chip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dock View Post
    So, would you like to see Retroforce tackle a Euro show one time, or do you think it might be too difficult as they won't have any memories of their own to contribute?
    Sounds like a good idea, but considering none of the cast even know what Terranigma is I'm pretty sure the show will be as follows:

*old announcer intro plays*
    Dyson: Aaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddd Welcome, to RetroforceGO! Today we're talking about retro gaming in Europe!
    Everyone: I don't know anything about that
    Dyson: Goodnight everybody!
    *Bit Shifter song plays*

Quote Originally Posted by garrfunkel View Post
    I had me some Amiga action when I was like 6. I had a huge stack of floppy disks for it. Dont have a fucking clue what has happened to any of those now.

Im not gonna get nostalgic about it cause that thing really sucked balls in a big way.
    You hated your Amiga? How is that even possible? I loved mine!

Did you simply not have any cool game to play on it?

I still love this thing.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I think it would be a better idea if the Podcastle crew made a Retro gaming episode instead.

Not surprised that Amiga's and Commodore 64's was popular in Europe. After all, a console that required you to connect to a TV, was suffering from games running 17,5% slower than the American and Japanese versions. Also, it's amusing how Nintendo gets away with charging us extra for these inferior versions on VC.

In Ireland and England (at least) Sega was far more popular than Ninty up until the Saturn, which is where they floundered spectacularly.

I think that's worthy of a Podcastle episode in and of itself.

I'll pass these ideas on to Jim and the Drox.

I'm curious as to what non-programming-specific game magazines existed in the UK (let's say before 2000), as well as what you thought about them.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukitsune View Post
    You hated your Amiga? How is that even possible? I loved mine!

Did you simply not have any cool game to play on it?
    I got my amiga around the time everyone else was getting their NESs and Master Systems so I really wanted to upgrade.

I was young and foolish and just wanted to play some Mario.

is ↓ → fierce
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, but considering none of the cast even know what Terranigma is I'm pretty sure the show will be as follows:

Dyson: Aaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddd Welcome, to RetroforceGO! Today we're talking about retro gaming in Europe!
    *Bit Shifter song plays*
    I know what Terranigma is :P

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post

*Bit Shifter song plays*
    Terranigma? The SNES game? What does that have to do with European gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanukitsune View Post
    Terranigma? The SNES game? What does that have to do with European gaming?
    It only came out in Europe and Japan. It was a great game too, but I've never finished it.