Page 171 of 186 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 181 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3705

Thread: Books, motherf*ckers.

Got Haruki Muakamis "1Q84" (all 3 books) for Christmas. I've really enjoyed the previous Murakami books I've read, "Norwegian Wood", "Kafka on the Shore" and "Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World". Hope these are just as enjoyable.

And my cousin got me "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsk, as I wanted a classic. Haven't gotten around to it yet though, and probably won't until winter break in February.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I'm about a quarter way through World War Z. Really interesting read. And I'm about to start on American Psycho. Never seen the film either so should be good.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I was given Warren Ellis' Gun Machine to borrow for the Holidays. I haven't started it yet but I am really intrigued by it. Considering how many of his comics I've read. Has anyone else read this?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Not yet, but I want to read it, might get it later this year

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

GRRM just posted a new Winds of Winter sample chapter. It's guess it's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by umberhulk View Post
    http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

GRRM just posted a new Winds of Winter sample chapter. It's guess it's progress.
    It's something.

I'm currently reading The Darkness That Comes Before by R Scott Bakker. It's pretty awesome. It's not without faults, but as a first volume in a truly epic world, it's working for me.

Reading Year Zero. It's about aliens who pirate music and then get sued for it.

As IP law is a dream, the book is hilarious, if dangerously close to dated by the terribly unfortunate choice to reference memes

I started reading Gardens of the Moon again (first book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen).

I only read the first five before, but I have no idea why I stopped; it's even better on the second reading than I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    I started reading Gardens of the Moon again (first book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen).

I only read the first five before, but I have no idea why I stopped; it's even better on the second reading than I remember.
    Yep. The reread is so much better. I finished that series last year and loved it as much as A Song of Ice and Fire.

My friend from work is trying to get me into Ted Dekker. So far I am wholly unimpressed. He's about on the literary level of Stephanie Meyer, but since nobody has heard of him I'm the only one annoyed by it.

[Level 2: Human] Stupid Name Guy's Avatar
    Not sure if it's pure reading material, but I got my copy of the Hyrule Hystoria, and it's pretty cooooool. I wish Majora's Mask got more love though; it's my favorite game in the series, but I don't hate Skyward Sword really, so that's OK. It's amazing how detailed it is. Even better that I got it at a nice price too: around $20 as opposed to $35. Totally worth it.

As for actual texts, I might finally get a copy of the The Iliad soon. I have had a copy of The Odyssey for a while now, but I haven't read it yet. I will get the version of The Iliad by the same translator, Lattimore, because consistency.

He certainly knew how to come up with a catchy title.

I've read the one on the right before, and it is excellent. Blade Runner the novel it is not though, and some details are substantially different from the film.

Haven't read the one on the left.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I'm about halfway through the third book in Oliver Potzsch's The Hangman's Daughter series, The Beggar King. It's a fun series. Set in 1600's Germany. A town hangman, his headstrong daughter and a dandy fop doctor solve mysteries. I have a soft spot for crime/mystery fiction in odd settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    I've read the one on the right before, and it is excellent. Blade Runner the novel it is not though, and some details are substantially different from the film.
    Yeah, Scott mostly just made his own film and used the cliff notes of the novel for some inspiration. Mostly.

I'm reading 'The Survivor' atm, it's pretty cheesy, very easy-going, sort of cliche territory but it's an enjoyable enough read.

I started with Flow My Tears because there isn't a film of that which will probably force me to imagine Harrison Ford.

Currently reading some free ebook called 'Gamers'. It's even more awful then I imagined.

Ray of Sunshine
    I'm about 200 pages into A Game of Thrones and I'm still really not feeling it very much. Is there some pivotal experience that will drastically change how I feel about the book before the halfway point?

It builds up, I don't think there's a single pivotal moment though. You sort of just get drawn in as you learn more about all the different factions and different plots get put into motion.

Finished Year Zero. Was amusing, though not great.

Started a Star Wars novel, Scoundrels, which has been described as Oceans 11 with Star Wars characters. It stars Han Solo, and takes place between 4 and 5, so I am looking forward to it being an enjoyable read.